main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    And you have my axe.

What a grand diagnosis to make off the back of an online argument with your good self... a diagnosis ignoring every other aspect of how I carry myself here. Anyway, I hope you're done with the insults, now.

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

Agreed with all these items except #2. I only think Clara should've left in the Christmas special because it was such a perfect exit--but otherwise she remains one of my favorite companions. The Danny plotline dragged her down immensely, but maybe now she'll be able to shine in S9 when it's just her and the Doctor (as Coleman and Capaldi do have great chemistry on-screen).

As for the other three, though--nailed it.

Juliet316 and darskpine10 like this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I love Clara too, but binge watching the season really highlights how much she overpowers the Doctor. And it's ALL the time. All those great times where Tennant and Smith got angry? That's now Clara's role. It doesn't work

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, it was the Clara show. Maybe because she is Moffat's character so he simply favours her. Hopefully this gets recitified.

Also, fun fact. You can actually private message members on here and have a conversation that way. How about that!

5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    So, I didn't realize this was halibut, and thought someone was trying to say they liked ITFOTN, since non-Halibut posters apparently and inexplicably love ATCM, and was very confused.

halibut likes this.
  6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Not only was Clara too frequently overpowering The Doctor, but she did it in such an unpleasant and unsympathetic manner. She started so well, but series 8 was particularly messy and she was one of the biggest reasons for that. It was hoped that, once the impossible girl storyline had been dealt with she could move on and shine. No... we got the equally underwhelming Danny Pink thing. Whatever Moffat has planned for her in series 9, I've lost the faith and don't imagine it will be an improvement. Clara should go, and to be honest so should Moffat.

Gomez was excellent, but The Master's plan was a complete turn-off. Of course, both Time Lords were forced to play second fiddle to the Claras... so it deserves another chance.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Agree with most of that, except for Missy's plan. Made for much better viewing the second time round, though I loved it the first time round

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It is probably not coincidental that the episodes I adored most from Series 8 also happened to be those where Clara was simply a good companion to the Doctor and very little of her personal storyline crept in to defile the otherwise pleasant time.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I agree broadly with most of this, but one of my favorite episodes of the series was Flatline, which was very Clara heavy.

darskpine10 likes this.
  10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Armando Ianucci has expressed an interest in writing an episode. Could be interesting!

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    indeed. i've always considered dr who to be somewhat satirical

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, 1.5ish years on from Doctor Who's 50th anniversary and here we are... at Doctor Who's 10th Anniversary.

Sums it all up really, doesn't it? ;):D

[face_party]

Juliet316, Rew, Darth Xalfrea and 5 others like this.
  13. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It would be neat if there will be something for Series 10 to celebrate that. Maybe something along the lines of The Three Doctors?

So I read up on the newly announced 8th Doctor Big Finish saga "Doom Coalition", and I must say the concept of this new upcoming villainous Time Lord is very interesting and intriguing:

The Eleven, a sociopathic, insane being who, unlike previous Time Lords, actually retained all his previous personalities in his head. He's on his eleventh reincarnation and naturally any person that has 10 distinctive personalities, viewpoints and voices in their head would make them more than a little nutty.

The only time we've seen something this close for The Doctor is during the post-regen period, but just imagine that, except permanent.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    In TV news, Game of Thrones's Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) will be guest-starring in Series 9. Episode titles also mentioned are "The Girl Who Died" by Jaimie Mathieson/Steven Moffat, and "The Woman Who Lived" by Torchwood alum Catherine Treganna.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    JAMIE MATHIESON

also it's cool that Arya's on now too.

Ulicus and Darth Xalfrea like this.
  16. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Mathieson did wonders in Series 8, so I'm eager to see what he'll come up with next, especially when he's paired with Moffat.

So as far as New Who goes, who do some feel to be the best recurring writer? For Classic Who, the big name that pops up often is Robert Holmes, but so far is there any equivalent for New Who?

17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

I would somewhat answer this question by saying Phil Ford. The word somewhat is used because you wouldn't really describe him as recurring since he's only written two episodes and on each occasion that's been in collaboration with the show runner of the day. But, the two episodes he has co-written are amongst my top twenty episodes of the new era. One being possibly my number one favourite ever.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    swiped from Kenneth Morgan in the history thread, but good grief this looks so much like Matt it's not even funny.

[​IMG]

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Considering the Christmas Special, I think Danny has been laid to rest (no pun intended.)

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, we still have to account for Orson, somehow. Besides, "Doctor Who" is a proud signatory to the "Star Trek Rule of Character Death":
    Only redshirts from Security die without hope of resurrection. Everyone else is a candidate for return.

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    There's an image in the DWM 50th anniversary comic that looks an awful lot like that...

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's a famous still of Harold Lloyd and, yes, it's been referenced a lot. Jesus.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Jeez am I the *only* person here who's seen Safety Last?

*crickets*

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I used to watch the Harold Lloyd compilations on BBC2. "Hooray for Harold Lloyd!" went the theme-song. Don't think I've ever seen all of Safety Last though, just highlights.

halibut likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005