main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's the owl version, Doctor Hoo.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's the parody that only stars Martha, Donna, Rose, Amy, and Clara stand-ins...

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Okay, I'm better now.

As for rating the Doctors, I don't usually do that. The only exception is that, like many fans, I tend to consider the one I saw first as the Doctor, while the others are runners-up. In that case, it's Tom Baker. Hey, for quite a while in those pre-Internet days, I didn't know there were any other Doctors. Then, PBS (especially the late, lamented New Jersey Network) got the rights to the series and started airing all of the existing episodes, and Peter Haining's books on the show were published, and I was better-informed.

As for all of the others, I like them, more or less, depending on the scripts they got. And I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Time-Life intros by Howard DaSilva. Who else but Ben Franklin could've introduced the Doctor?

4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I've just been reading about how Doctor Who was conceived and created by Sydney Newman, a Canadian (!) who oversaw BBC drama in the 60s and who conceived The Avengers (the spy series) as well. Color me astonished.

Of science fiction novels, he said: "I love them because they're a marvellous way--and a safe way, I might add--of saying nasty things about our own society."

Brilliant.

Juliet316 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If true, I can begin to take the Master's gender change seriously:

http://www.outpostskaro.com/2015/08/22/series-nine-preview-by-eddie-mcguigan/

I'm hoping this eliminates the argument of some fans that a Timelord doesn't have a gender and can change appearance from a masculine to a more feminine appearance. Though it's still strange that there wasn't at least some hint of this in the S8 finale.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You should watch An Adventure in Space and Time. It's a docu-drama that recreates the origins of Doctor Who. It's really good too.

7. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    darskpine10 : I haven't seen it come up on Netflix. I wonder if it's available on Amazon? I will definitely check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

8. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    It was first shown in 2013, during the 50th anniversary, on the day before Doctor Who became 50. So, it showed how the series all began, then the next day we had the 50th anniversary special, which showed where it was going next.

Brilliant.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    FFS.

halibut likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    *Reads breaking DW news*
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So I guess the BBC has given up completely on actually holding any character-related surprises to themselves.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not surprised honestly. It could be done but would it kill them to do something original.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This is probably the first UNoriginal thing to happen in a Christmas Special.

14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would've preferred the surprise. But I knew it was going to happen at some point.
    We ARE talking about River, right?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes we are talking about River.
    Anyways how many times did Rose come back? Amy? Etc. River came back in TNOTD as well.
    I could see the River in the Christmas episode as still alive traveling through the events of Seasons 5-7 before her end in Season 4. Time travel is crazy enough so why not?

Juliet316 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes, River has been officially announced as returning for the Christmas Special.

Incredibly lazy. Depressing news.

Abadacus likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If Jack was announced as coming back as well, my complaints would be almost zero.

Abadacus and Rew like this.
  18. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I am looking forward to River. Don't bring me down, dammit! :p

It actually all depends on what happens for me. Just having her as a character is awesome (she's one of my favourites), but they could also royally screw it up. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Juliet316 , Random Comments and TX-20 like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Leave it to River Song to ruin Christmas...

May as well not even ask for gifts this year...

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I'm dismayed to find that Doctor Who fans can be as crabby and holier-than-thou as other sci-fi/fantasy fans. River is a great character and the very premise of time travel allows for characters to return in unexpected ways. "Lazy" and "depressing" don't describe writing or production decisions made with entertainment and surprises in mind. So you don't like her or whatever, that doesn't make the writing "lazy". And if you find a character's return on a single episode of a show you profess to love "depressing", I might suggest you get out of the house more, or come up with a different hobby.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Doesn't really matter how engaging the circumstances of her return are, the character had run her course and should've been shelved long-term. Demonstrates a shocking dearth of ideas, does this. Moffat out.

EDIT: To clarify... I love River. She's fantastic. But already overused.

I am also amused by the notion of anyone on here suggesting anyone else on here should get out of the house more.

Mar17swgirl and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    We'll just disagree, then. Including her in one out of ~26 episodes (S8 + S9) hardly indicates a "dearth of ideas". I was expecting her to return last season and was sorry not to see her. Maybe I need to get out of the house more. Apologies for any offense.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Maybe we'll see her meet the Doctor for the first time.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We should build a house and all live together.

Everton and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, technically that was in A Good Man Goes to War, though she was a baby.

Then perhaps The Impossible Astronaut, where he's present to see River's mother shoot her in the face.

The first real meeting they have is in Let's Kill Hitler, from River's point of view.

I love Timey Wimey stuff.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.