main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Those were posted yesterday. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000

Some payback, eh? :p [face_blush]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I am holding out hope that it's Rose, myself.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Again, since human Ten actually has a different personality than "real' Ten, I would be somewhat disappointed if only he appeared. I don't think the aging thing is a problem. As far as I know past multi-Doctor stuff (including that one short with Tennant and Davidson) just ignores the issue and that's fine with me. :p

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And Tennant still looks pretty close to how he was when he left the role.

6. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I think in the Tennant/Davison short, 10 did mention 5's aged appearance and also gave a short explanation.

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The presence of a future Doctor "shortens out the time differential" (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing), making the past Doctor(s) look older.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Unless 10 is actually Human 10 and 11 sacrifices himself and dies/Regenerates to save his life.

[​IMG]

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    God, I hope not, that would suck.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I really hope they just completely sidestep Human 10. I really hope it's just Series 2 10 and Rose.

But I don't think that's what's going to happen, unfortunately.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    And what if it ends with the Doctor taking River to Darillium to see the Singing Towers and ends with him giving her the screwdriver? :_|

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    He already took her there in the "______ Night" DVD extras, but I'd love to see the scene played out in full, though.

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I'd rather we pretend that never happened, and have 12 take her to the towers....so she's actually really met more than two faces...

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Um, why should that mean she can't meet Twelve afterwards? It's already been established that River and the Doctor's respective timelines aren't exactly in the reverse order (if they were, River wouldn't need to consult her diary, it would be useless).

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Please please please let this be a real photo and not a 'shop:

[​IMG]

Edit: Mar17swgirl brings up a good point. Just because River last sees her Doctor at Darillium doesn't necessarily mean the Doctor never sees her again. Maybe he angsts for a bit because he believes it, but then Eleven (or maybe even Twelve) runs into a younger version of River and realizes it's not quite over yet. I mean eventually the Doctor's run with River will end sometime, but from his POV it doesn't have to end at Darillium.

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    They are cosplayers

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *Ten-ish pout*

18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I gets that would work. I feel like Darillium is supposed to be the end, though.
    And I want to see the new haircut...

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    True, it does feel like the natural end of River/Doctor, but if Moffat or whoever takes over after him wanted to bring her back afterwards, then they could easily use the "Just because it was the end of River's timeline, doesn't mean he wasn't meant to see her again in his timeline." deal.

Edit: Or hey, we've established that she's a hybrid Time Lord. They could say she had at least one more regeneration left (granted I'm not sure how I'd feel about another actress after Alex playing her, but they could pull the regeneration card if they wanted to)

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Please no return for Human Ten and Rose. Leave them where they are. Forever.

Rachel your theories are interesting, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment by going into such detailed speculation with so little concrete information available. :p

EDIT:
    Exactly this. Play on the fact that it's an anniversary story, but don't make the legacy of that story a Whoniverse where everything is so tightly bound it will feel - in time, once the novelty of the 50th has worn off and we look back on it - like they were trying a little too hard.

21. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    But she was vaporized....

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We'll they've introduced a couple of ways to get around that. Gangers... Tesslecta...

23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    That would ruin the episode, though...and what about the consciousness upload?

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You're right that the Singing Towers is the final time River sees the Doctor before the Library. She says so in the episodes themselves.

But you're jumping the gun in assuming that the Singing Towers would be the final time the Doctor sees her. He might still have all sorts of adventures with her in his future/her past be it as Twelve, Thirteen or beyond.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think I'm setting myself up for disappointment. For one thing, I'm not actually speculating that deeply on what I think will happen, I'm just giving thorough reasons for why it might happen. For another, I'm not even talking about what I want to happen, but rather what I suspect the writers might be taking into consideration. If it's actual Ten and Rose from series 2, I'll be far from disappointed :p That would be great. I just don't think it's likely, so I'm taking into account the positives that could also result from it being Human Ten and Rose.

Also, I know they've never taken Doctors aging into account before, but they also used to have cardboard sets. Let's just acknowledge that modern audiences might have a slightly harder time feeling that it's totally fine that Tom Baker is now clearly an old man, he can still just appear as his same Doctor without comment. I just don't think it works. Davison's appearance in the Children in Need short is different because it was just that... a short for charity.

Okay, so for those of you who think that Clara's mother was Susan... now obviously that's one of the immediate considerations I had when I tried to go back and look at the tombstones. It couldn't have been Susan in that regeneration because then what would have happened to David Campbell and their children. Of course, it could be a future regeneration of Susan, perhaps well after her children and husband were dead.

She'd still have had to somehow get back to the 1970s because she was previously in the 22nd century and without a means of time travel. Fine, that can be gotten around somehow. What about Susan having children with a human, though? It would certainly be a departure from her adopted children with David and would also make Clara even more special. It would make the whole notion of Clara's mother dying 'too soon' or having some tragedy of unlived days in this past episode be a bit more confusing. If she'd regenerated perhaps a number of times why would it be so sad that she'd finally passed away? (Let's not even get into the fact that modern Who seems to acknowledge that Time Lords have limited numbers of regenerations that can run out, but handwaves off any specific number such as 12).

Anyway, obviously it would be pretty cool if as part of this whole 50th Anniversary year it turned out the Doctor, wearing his newly old man coat and bowtie with his more classic looking TARDIS, had been traveling around the universe with his great-granddaughter. Of course, it still wouldn't explain how she keeps reappearing or how this appears to be some kind of trap or trail of breadcrumbs laid out purposefully for him. And it definitely makes that kiss more creepy 0_o