main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's also worth bearing in mind this is going to be BBC 3, which is switching to online only in 2016, with the channels budget cut by 50%. So expect a small budgeted affair.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    School dramas sell, scifi sells, BBC already has the sets and uniforms, and Coal Hill is where Doctor Who (a show for children, young adults and the whole family) started. I'm not unhappy, and I'm quite excited to see what, if anything, they're going to do with Ian and Barbara (who SJS claimed still worked there and haven't aged a day since the 60s)...

Would I have preferred 6 extra episodes of DW instead? Maybe, but let's wait and see. If it follows the DW spinoff rules there should be an appearance of The Doctor anyway. Think of it as an old fashioned classic series 6 part Doctor-Lite. No need for negativity just yet.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Other than the TARDIS noise and Ten's hand, I'm 99% sure he didn't appear in Torchwood. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Martha and Mickey (Pretty sure he did anyway) appeared and mentioned the Doctor.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's K-9 and Company all over again!

V-2 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    With the decline in ratings of late, i'm really surprised the BBC are taking further risks like this with the Doctor Who IP. I doubt there will be many new comers to the DW universe with a spin-off ten years following the show's re-launch.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Mickey never actually appeared, but both he and Martha were due to appear in Children of Earth, before other commitments got in the way. Martha would've played the role of Lois Habiba, infiltrating the government meetings, like she did in Reset.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That was an interesting episode. Obviously, could come down with whatever happens in Part 2, but having an actual deaf actress was a really nice thing to see.

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Star Trek did it first.

Another really good episode with a brilliant cliffhanger (This multi-part episode renewal is working really well). Kudos for killing off Colin McFarlane within the first few minutes.

However, the crap about Orion's Belt really annoyed me. There is no place in the universe where the 3 stars of the belt are aligned. Total nonsense.

Abadacus likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I forgot: the note cards may have been one of the best jokes in recent memory.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh they were fab. And the Sarah-Jane reference was amazing. I'm loving all the callbacks to the "original" series".

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Really good. Loving the multi part stories, and this one is creepy and - gosh - another time travel story! 3 episodes in and this season is looking strong.

Rew likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Assuming it's the Aberdeen one, I love how that can also double as a generic Scottish insult...

halibut likes this.
  15. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    This was a good episode that really relied on its atmosphere and setting. Eager to see how it'll play out next week.

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I have a couple of suspicions on how this will work out, but I could be wrong. I'll wait and see how part 2 works out.

A couple of other points, not really related to the episode: first, I think BBC America is part of an insidious plot to make people buy the DVD sets. There can be no other reason for them running commercial breaks every six or so minutes, and running the same commercials over and over and over. (Yes, I'm sure "Jay Leno's Garage" will be interesting, but you don't need to tell me three times in ten minutes.) Second, when is someone at the BBC gong to say, "You know, running the promo for next week three seconds after the cliffhanger kind of ruins the effect,"?

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Just saw it then...for some reason I just predicted that the ending would involve
    ..seeing a ghost version of the Doctor. Kind of like how we saw a ganger version of the Doctor back in series 6 as the cliffhanger.

19. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    So I guess the "Sonic Shades" are thing then, huh.

Good thing is that they're not particularly designed to be unique, so it won't be subject to merchandising.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I wouldn't mind the show going off air for a couple of years. Feels like it needs a hiatus, to me.

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Soon to be available from BBC Enterprises: SONIC SHADES! They're cool-looking Ray-Bans which make a snazzy trilling noise when you put them on! With an official DOCTOR WHO logo on the frames. U.S. price: $12.95 plus tax.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  23. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I regretfully agree...I don't think Doctor Who needs to disappear for a couple of years, but it needs a solid chance to get life breathed back into it. Of course I'll be happy with new episodes, new adventures - but the fanbase is definitely feeling, well, tired.

One thing I have been entertaining is returning to the past. I'm not sure how they would manage that, but perhaps taking a break from the show as it is now, and pursuing other media for a while. Not too long, but a while.

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , how would they do that ? :D

Rew likes this.
  25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd just advocate leaving it for a while so that when it does come back (in two, three, four years) both the fanbase and the production team themselves are gagging for it. Ten years is a long time, and right now it feels like Doctor Who is on autopilot. Everyone is cruising through, which has meant some really bad decisions being made into the bargain. It's a shame because Capaldi is pretty much my dream casting for The Doctor, but needs must (though they probably won't).

Ulicus and Admiral Volshe like this.