main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It'll make up for killing the T-Rex that fancied him in Deep Breath.

2. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Now it's LittleBigPlanet's turn to get in on the action.

[​IMG]

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My first thought that the celebrations were because Clara had gone.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    If the information posted is accurate, "Heaven Sent" runs 55 minutes. I just checked the schedule, and BBC America has slated this for a one hour slot tonight. Unless they're going to have limited commercial interruptions, or will continue to run the episode during commercial breaks like they did during last year's Christmas show, they'll be cutting almost ten minutes from the episode.

On the bright side, we'll see the promo for tonight's "The Last Kingdom" about 35 times.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - Heaven Sent is 55 minutes. UK listings have it running on BBC One from 8:05-9:00 PM. That's without commercials since there aren't any on there.

6. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    According to BBC America's website, "Heaven Sent" will be getting a 75-minute slot next week. Followed by "Hell Bound", which is getting an 80-minute slot. So, I'll have to wait until next week before I have a really clear idea of what actually happens in the former.

7. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Well for a one-man show... that was quite the episode!

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    INCREDIBLE EPISODE.

I've really not been feeling Moffat for a couple of years now, wanting him to move on and then . . . wow, fantastic. Brilliant. Great. =D=

He can stay a bit longer.

Probably going to upset materialists but, lol. Psychological criterion all the way!

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm glad others liked it

Did nothing for me.

Maybe on a second viewing as my kids were distracting me tonight but I think I got most of it and the end was just a bit......meh.....

Next weeks looks good if I read the setting right

10. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Saw it then.

Typical Moffat. Just when I think it's best that he moves on, he brings genius. I loved it.

I'm guessing I should prepare myself for disappointment next week and start a list of new show runners?

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    So the running plot of the hybrid actually paid off. In a big, surprising way. Playing off of a maligned and forgotten piece of lore from the Mcgann TV Movie. Well played Moffat, very well played.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Haven't watched the last 5 eps and nothing I've read here or elsewhere is inspiring me to watch them either.

Strange, jumped on board with new Who a fw years back and really expectedto like Capaldi's Doc, but the last series really killed a lot of my enthusiasm and the 6 eps I've seen haven't exactly re-kindled it.

Still, got the first War Doctor audio CDs due soon, maybe those'll be better for me.

As to tonight's ep, from what info I've found, it says Moffat's doing similar to what he did last year - lots of creepy stuff that cuts a bit too close to the bone for my liking.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That was a great episode. Still trying to get my head around something though... Does this episode confirm that
    Earth is Gallifrey? The teleporter thing only had a 1 light year range or something, and that leaves nowhere nearby to go, so... Still Earth? And The Doctor steps out of the Dial on Gallifrey and says he took the long way round, some 20+billion years. But if he knew all he had to do was follow Earth's timeline for 20 billion years to get to Gallifrey then..? Or didn't he know? Maybe this ties up with Gallifrey moving Earth in Trial of a Time Lord? Or something? Or have I just got this completely wrong?

And the TVM half human on my mother's side thing must be a lie/misdirection if he's half Dalek, unless he's half human half Dalek, which we've already seen in that awful Manhattan story with the dildo Dalek masks. So is he half human on his mother's side and half Dalek on his father's side and they conceived in a TARDIS in flight? No, no, no, something's not right here, this doesn't add up at all!
    ...But in a good way. Cracking episode. I'm predicting awards for this one.

darskpine10 likes this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

No, i'm pretty sure Gallifrey is Gallfrey in terms of its location. That doesn't necessarily mean we have the genuine article. So...maybe an imitation of it on Earth? Who knows. Although you raise some good questions regarding the teleporter, I don't think the RTD or Moffat take on Who has been particularly picky when it comes to science so long as the technology doesn't exceed the characters having near-god-like powers :p

As for the hybrid stuff, we're only halfway there. Lets see what happens next week. For all we know the planet that the Doctor is standing upon is merely a replica of Gallifrey.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

Didn't he say that the prophecy was wrong, and that the hybrid wasn't half Dalek because they would never allow that to happen (Someone doesn't remember the season opener... :oops:)? I took the implication to mean that the hybrid was part Time Lord and part human.

16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm going to have to watch it again.

Gosh, cliffhangers in Doctor Who, answers which leave more questions than before, this is the proper stuff!

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Thing about the cliffhanger is...

It doesn't actually reveal what the genetic make up of the hybrid is. I've seen some speculate that 'Me' isn't referring to The Doctor, but someone else confirmed for the finale.

[​IMG]

halibut likes this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    When you consider the subject matter of the Christmas Special, how dramatic could next week truly be?

Chewgumma likes this.
  19. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Holy **** I just noticed the
    War Games TARDIS and 60s roundels
    in the next time trailer.

PS: I have no idea what the Christmas special is about and wouldn't want to be spoiled.

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Not saying anything, but just don't get excited.

Chewgumma likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Now they just need to establish that Leela and Andred were his parents . . . :D:p

V-2 likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Brilliant episode.

I am 50/50 on the resolution to "I know who the hybrid is: Me!" bit.
    Obvious answer is he was referring to "Me"/Ashildr.
    Slightly less obvious answer is... weren't there rumors that McGann filmed scenes for the finale?

23. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Before I read the other comments, I'll write mine.

Re: "Heaven Sent", my reaction is the same one I had after the first time I saw the teaser trailer for ROTS: WHOA!

I don't know if "Doctor Who" is eligible for an Emmy. If it is, Peter Capaldi better get nominated for Best Actor in a Series. He was a powerhouse in this one. And Moffat's script kept me guessing right up to the last second, and put in some real challenges to the way the Doctor is thought of. This is the first episode this season I don't have any real reservations about (though, admittedly, I won't get the full effect until I see it uninterrupted on DVD).

So, for nearly twenty years, the BBC, the series and many fans have been tying themselves in knots retconning the "Doctor is half-human" plot thread in the McGann movie. (Pocket watch? Yeah, right.) Now, those retcons have, themselves, been retconned. I'd like to think that the production team for the McGann movie now have a right to stand up, smile and say "Nailed it!"

I'm actually eager to see if they can keep this up for "Hell Bent".

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If 'Sherlock' is, Doctor Who should be.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Oh, I hope he wasn't referring to Ashildr. Yeah, it would be a big bit of misdirection, but it makes the finish of "Heaven Sent" a lot less dramatic. Better to make the answer something that's been hanging over the series for almost two decades, than a plotline from only half-a-dozen episodes ago. Besides, the Doctor is far more interesting than Ashildr.