main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought he didn't remember it either but there's a scene where he tells imaginary Clara that he gets to a certain point then remembers it all, every time. I'd prefer it if he didn't, but it's just Moffit being sadistically brilliant.

I'm not sure about the function of the dial - if that was its standard purpose or if it was uniquely set up for him like that. The Doctor assumed someone was listening, but if that was the Time Lords themselves, The Master, or whoever else Mayor Me had struck a deal with, I don't know.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Couple of thoughts

1) Capaldi's Alan Rickman impression when he was dying was excellent

2) A well-a bird bird bird. Bird is the word.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

The only one I know from Nu!Who other than The Day of the Doctor, the end of Deep Breath (which I wouldn't necessarily count as neither Doctor interacted with each other), and that bit at the end of The Name of the Doctor is Time Crash.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Anyone note the guy who played the Rory Williams, in a DC' Legends of Tomorrow trailer?

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep, it's been noted.

soitscometothis likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, "Deep Breath" doesn't count because they didn't interact, didn't really exist at the same, uh, time, and it was a transitional episode anyway. I don't count "The Name of the Doctor" because it wasn't "really" the War Doctor, just a phantom. And Time Crash was just a throwaway sketch for charity. I guess Eight could have a cameo, though I don't see why. I thought "The Night of the Doctor" was the show's acknowledgement and sendoff of that incarnation.

7. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm possibly being more broad with the term than others. Day of the Doctor, Name of the Doctor, Listen, Deep Breath, the regeneration episodes, Time Crash, things like Human Nature, Nightmare in Silver, Impossible Astronaut or Rebel Flesh with background cameos or alternate versions of the Doctor, Fires of Pompeii, arguably The Next Doctor, if only for the title structure (as with BF's One Doctor), Stolen Earth/Journey's End with Ten, TenToo, and DoctorDonna, Flesh and Stone with Flashback Doctor, episodes with sound lips like Doctor's Wife or Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, and if I want to be hyper-inclusive, episodes with other people with doctorates.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Possibly?

Darth Guy likes this.
  9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Probably, whatever. I prefer my numbers.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    this was the best ep of the season , and I think it will go down as one of those much argued about stories amongst fans , its very clever but as with all these clever plots it invites scrutiny which always leads to arguments about plot holes .

but it was a very bold story , and one of my favorites , but with a couple of niggles .

12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The dry clothes. Two things bother me about it.
    1) The rooms reset, so are his identical clothes there before he arrives or are they one of the previous Doctor's who ended up playing out the rest of the story wearing only his question mark underpants?
    2) No dry pants. Either The Doctor spends a fair portion of 20 billion years wearing wet underpants, or he doesn't wear them. Commando Capaldi is un-unthinkable.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    TX-20, Ulicus and Darth Guy like this.
  14. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Let the plot hole wars commence!

Also, the underwear hole wars.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Maybe his pants are waterproof?

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I just read someone speculate on-line that Missy is actually the Hybrid, and that this was the idea she had just before the Daleks were going to kill her.

If this is the case in "Hell Bent", my response will involve terminology my Mom would prefer I not use.

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Good episode, but had one large gaping plot hole: If every room in the castle reverted to its original state within a few hours, then the Doctor's plan of chipping away at the wall bit by bit over the course of the millennia shouldn't have worked.

Otherwise, it was pretty good. Great performance by Capaldi, he finally got space to shine. I liked that we were shown/hinted pretty early on that there were multiple versions of the Doctor running around, and that the whole thing took place inside the confessional disc thingy - it was all about the execution rather than the mystery.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Promo pic for next Saturday:

[​IMG]

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode also had a great line: "The Doctor will see you now! Show me what you've got! I just watched my best friend die in agony- my day can't get any worse. Let's see what we can do about yours."

Also loved the Clara chalkboard aspect. Kinda reminds me of a more serious Deadpool in a way,

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I loved the opening of Heaven Sent, with the monologue about the creature always chasing.

Then the Doctor appears, and it turns out that the monologue was actually referring to him.

That was great.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, I wonder if that quip about how he's better with an audience was a quip about the ratings? heh.

Rew likes this.
  22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I believe the Doctor mentions that the only room that doesn't reset is room 12, where the crystal wall is located.

solojones and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another observation: did they forget to add the FX to the "first" cloning moment?

It's funny too that this episode kinda answered a question that came to me immediately before watching it: what happens if a Time Lord starves to death? Do they regenerate? Then die again? And regenerate again?

Here Capaldi explains that a Time Lord can be injured to a point that they can't regenerate- even though their body extends the dying process trying to do so.

24. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    If I'm thinking of the same shot you are, I assumed that was intentional, and that it was him taking a deep breath (actually his first) after the teleportation. But they might have just forgot.

New Christmas Special details:
    It's called The Husbands of River Song (terrible title, IMO), and Twelve has a new screwdriver (which is grand).
    [​IMG]

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Looks like the Library screwdriver.