main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Lewis' performance in Band Of Brothers actually had a few McGann-isms to it in that he played a man of great conviction with a noticeable soft side.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    WELL WHY DID IT EVER HAVE TO GO AWAY?!

But now that you mention it, Life is also a great example of Lewis's suitability to the role. Because he's incredibly perky and funny and weird in that role, but can flip a switch and go to a very dark place very easily.

Been meaning to rewatch that show. I will never forgive Jay Leno for ending it.

dp4m likes this.
  3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Two things to report as someone who loved Dr Who ages before it became 'cool' but then has always had trouble keeping up with the new versions.
    1. Our local PBS station is running them and my family is actually falling into a groove of watching them (hurray)
    2. My kids (8 and 4) have now seen their 1st complete Dr Who story. Peter's introduction. They loved it.

Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  4. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Capaldi or Davison?

Or dare I say it, Cushing?

V-2 and Ulicus like this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I too was thinking "Peter isn't very specific..."

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I was thinking Davison since he mentioned PBS and first complete story.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That was my initial assumption as well.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Davison, not Davidson.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Also that was my thought, but I was going to let it slide :p

10. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    This is the internet - WE DO NOT LET THINGS SLIDE.

Terrible things would happen if we did.

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wowzers...

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Huh... looks like this means only a Christmas Special this year, and his final series in Spring 2017...

BBC1 controller Charlotte Moore: "I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in Spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel. 2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 - I promise it will be worth the wait!"

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow that was sudden. I wonder if Moffat has known he was going to leave for a while. That would certainly explain why he did the Gallifrey arc at the end of the series, and why he used this Christmas special to complete River's story. In hindsight, it seems perfectly obvious that those were his swan songs.

I sincerely hope Moffat continues to write an episode or two each season. Because he has written some of the best episodes ever, and I think it would be a loss to have him gone completely. I'm guessing Chibnall will be

TBH I was starting to wonder how he was going to handle filming Sherlock this spring with writing series 10. I mean, I never know how he does it anyway. Showrunning is an incredibly stressful and time consuming job. He is to be very much commended for having run two great shows at once. So first, I hope he takes a vacation. Secondly, I hope he doesn't wait too long before beginning a new project, because I will be right there to see it when he's done.

So I assume he stayed on just long enough to help cast that new companion, which is what I said they could use his help with. I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement about the new companion very soon.

Chibnall was my first choice, and I'm elated at the decision... However, now I'm going to start worrying about his sanity since he'll have two shows as well.... But I'm going to guess this means someone else will be running Broadchurch series 3 and he'll just be producing it.

Steven Moffat has been pivotal in making NuWho great since series 1. He deserves a toast and a rest.

17. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    So... no Doctor Who for 2016, but don't worry because you've got sporting events instead, which are pretty much the same thing.

:(

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah wait so that article failed to mention he's actually doing one more series. Ok, that's a little less weird than suddenly saying "surprise! Those were my last episodes!"

Basically the 2016 break has more to do with Sherlock than anything. And that's an acceptable reason to push it. But Chibnall obviously was not going to be available this year anyhow.

I wonder if Chibnall will be in on the Companion casting and if he'll be writing some more episodes in series 10. Seems logical.

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    All you can really say to Chris Chibnall is to quote Han from ROTJ: "Good luck. You're gonna need it."

darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Am I the only one reading the word of "big finale and stuff" as "Capaldi regenerates in The End 2 Time: Parts One and Two?"

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    He was the first Doctor actor I ever saw in person, oddly enough :p

I think Capaldi will likely go with Moffat. Which isn't surprising at all considering the most any NuWho actor has done is three series and some specials.

23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Seriously, it's been fun.

[​IMG]

House Of Cards, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Lost In Space (new series), Star Trek, Bloodline - i'm just going to be too busy.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    There's no such thing as too busy for Doctor Who [face_plain]

Seriously, the way this is being announced is super weird though. Because that Radio Times link made it seem Moffat was done immediately and Chibnall was taking over right away (which made me wonder about Broadchurch)...

But really what they should have said was, "Series Ten to be Moffat's last; Chris Chibnall to take the reigns for series eleven".

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, that was sudden. I somehow thought we'd get two more seasons out of him- either just to give Capaldi a longer run or to help get the next Doctor up and running.

Either way, looks like I'll have some time to catch up on some classic Who. ;)

26. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The worst part about this news is no season this year. Stupid British shows.

Darthmaul208, TX-20 and Abadacus like this.