main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    The Mirror is reporting that the BBC have commissioned a company to reproduce some classic Who that was lost.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/lost-episodes-doctor-who-shown-8731339

The episode is Planet of the Daleks where the first Doctor regenerated.
    The BBC haven't confirmed it.

In other news, Class has a rough air date- October at least for us here in England according to Empire.

Also a major/minor spoiler may have been released/teased by Capaldi.
    Tagged in case.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was reading on that. A few existing episodes were "supplemented" with shoddy animated reproductions of the missing segments but this seems so much more committed an approach. Some stories with 1 or 2 missing segments have been released using a slideshow of telesnaps and audio. It works to get the job done but releasing these stories with 100% motion imagery would help fans with lesser attention spans get engaged in otherwise brilliant stories. Particularly Web of Fear. Part 3 is the only bit still missing and it is the portion which introduced Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart.

3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Remind me, knowledgeable fans didn't they do this for some other episodes?

Cybermen's invasion of London if I remember correctly?

4. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Yep, The Invasion is the best known example of extra animated stuff, though IIRC they've done others like The Reign of Terror.

If Power of the Daleks will be the next one in the running, then that's an excellent decision. A Dalek story (A masterful one from what I've heard), and the 2nd Doctor's first story to boot.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. They certainly could not have chosen a more "necessary" story to resurrect.

Darth Xalfrea likes this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Lest we forget...

[​IMG]

...screenwriter Gerry Davis, co-creator of the Cybermen.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Interesting news on the Power front. I wonder if it will be released first on DVD, or as a special on TV.

They've never done a full story in full animation, and I wonder whether it's a new animation style to any of the previous ones. The reason for only doing 2 episodes at most at a time was largely down to budget I believe, so this already must have 3 times the normal budget.

Still, it's a good choice, as from what I've heard Power is a really good story.

Still want those last 2 Crusade episodes done though, so that my Season 2 collection is complete. :)

8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    On this date in 1979:

Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I just rewatched that story over the past weekend. It made my top 12 on the previous page. I actually adore the Rick James robot army.

10. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    It also featured my favorite costume from Romana II...

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Lest we forget...

[​IMG]

...Roy Castle, the cinematic Ian Chesterton, who died on this date in 1994.

And on this date in 1978...

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Big noises on the Who boards about an announcement tonight (UK), Power related apparently. Fully animated, part animated/part recovered, fully recovered... no one is saying. Should be interesting as it is one of the landmark Who episodes.

I first listened to the surviving audio a few years ago and thought it was very good. An animated version would make me happy, but if they've managed to recover even just one episode of original footage I'll be ecstatic. More Troughton is always welcome, and season 4 Troughton is always especially prized.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'd weep if Power of the Daleks was recovered. Season 4 Troughton is a goldmine. And his first appearance as the Doctor is the Rosetta Stone.

soitscometothis and darskpine10 like this.
  14. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Even if we do get some Power episodes, I doubt it will be all 6.

My dream of having at least 1 full story from Season 4 will never come to fruition.

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I agree with Chorus about episode 1 being the most wanted episode currently missing.

I think my missing story top 5 wishlist would look like this:

Power of the Daleks
    The Highlanders
    The Abominable Snowmen
    The Myth Makers
    Evil of the Daleks

16. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I'd love to see the Massacre or the Savages, 2 commonly overlooked stories, that I'd really like to see.

17. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Oh well, it now sounds like its completely animated, no new recoveries. Cool, but for a brief moment I thought we might have something really special back.

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    On this date in 1986...

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    All top choices. My most hoped for honestly was Web of Fear. And we got it. So, here is hoping. Of course, I'm still waiting for them to locate a copy of London After Midnight after 89 years, so I am eternally optimistic unrealistic.

I agree with this choice. It is between this and the completely classic "vampire slayer" suit she wore in State of Decay. But, of all my Doctor Who autographs... when I scored one from my favorite Gallifreyan, I went with her in the "feminine" version of the Fourth Doctor's wardrobe. And staring down some Daleks.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  20. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, this is it:

It's set to be aired on the 50th anniversary of it's original air date, so expect this on the 5th of November. Then each successive part will be shown daily. A DVD is set for the 21st November. BBC America air date is the 12th November.

Looks more like the Ice Warriors style of animation than any other.

Source: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/

This feels appropriate too, from 1:03:

21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I think I'll wait for the DVD. I'd rather watch it without pop-ups, commercials tossed in willy-nilly and voice-over promos during the credits.

22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Do they really do that on BBC America? That sounds horrible.

23. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    It's been known to happen. The worst example was during their first showing of "Last Christmas", where they kept the episode running during the commercial breaks. Plus, they cut the final WHOOOSH from the show (admittedly not a factor for "Power of the Daleks") in order to immediately go to promos for the next episode, followed by shrinking the credits to allow for more promos. I'd outlaw the latter, if I had the authority to do so.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It is a shame that the actual episodes didn't turn up but I'll gladly take that animated version over it being a completely "lost" story.

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I always wanted to be a Dalek .