main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    You expect the costumes to look like mail....okay....

Well, the doctors are on stamps...and stationary, probably.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    To look like mail? No. I just felt that Hila's costume looked a bit like the result of a last minute rummage through the BBC's jumble department. :p

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's Doctor Who. So what? :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually to me Hilla's costume looked very much like it could have been the destroyed one from the dumb girl (Miss... dammit, I can't remember. Just woke up from a nap) in Silence in the Library.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I said "what do you expect"
    You said "post."

6. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Evangelista. ;)

I felt like it was low-tech, but it certainly didn't take away from the episode.
    It would have added to it to have more of a costume, though.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I know this doesn't reference Miss Evangelista, rather Anita... but the mention of that two-parter made me think of this glorious exchange:

The Doctor: I really liked Anita. She was brave, even when she was crying and she never gave in and you ate her. But I'm gonna let that pass, just as long as you let them pass.
    Vashta Nerada: How long have you known?
    The Doctor: I counted the shadows. You only have one now. She's nearly gone. Be kind.
    Vashta Nerada: These are our forests. We are not kind.
    The Doctor: I'm giving you back your forests, but you are giving me them. You are letting them go.
    Vashta Nerada: These are our forests. They are our meat.
    The shadows creep nearer to The Doctor.
    The Doctor: Don't play games with me! You just killed someone I like. That is not a safe place to stand! I'm The Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the Universe. Look me up.
    The shadows retreat.

*sigh* With the greatest respect to Matt Smith, he just can't pull off the authority of the character as well as Tennant can...

And now I'm watching that episode, and geeking about about Tennant's return to the show for the 50th. :D :-B:D [face_dancing]

dp4m and solojones like this.
  8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    My thoughts exactly. It is Doctor Who and it certainly didn't detract from the episode, so I'm not quibbling too much... but it didn't feel like it had had the same level of attention lavished upon it as the rest of the costumes and set decoration.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Sorry Everton but I disagree completely. Smith is more than capable of those moments. In fact Tennant had far more of them thanks to RTD's writing. Smith's moments are few and far between, but when they come, by God are they awesome. Can you see Tennant pulling off the 'there's one thing you don't put in a trap' speech as well as Smith?

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    As a huge fan of 11, let me count the ways in which this is wrong. All IMO of course.

Calling the Atraxi back in The Eleventh Hour

Yelling at Amy and the Queen in The Beast Below "Nobody human has anything to say to me today!"

Making an ass out of Angel Bob in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone....twice. "Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap."..."Me."

The Pandorica Speech, which is an example of The Doctor's overconfidence in his authority, he doesn't even think the prison's for him.

Practically lecturing the Silence in Day of the Moon

His anger and fury at being tricked during The Doctor's Wife

Him supporting the TARDIS and telling House he has no chance also from The Doctor's Wife

I'm sure there's a lot in A Christmas Carol

Making Colonel Manton into Colonel Runaway in A Good Man Goes to War

EDIT: I also found this

[​IMG]

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ten's my Doctor, but Matt has more than proven he can deliver those type of moments when given the chance. (my faves happen to be the Pandorica speech and his speech to the Silence in Day of the Moon). Still I am looking forward to seeing Tennant back in the 50th.

Oh and halibut that ghost looks like a demented Jim Carrey.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Oh yes, I think Tennant would have done a much better job with it. I mean, I'm not trying to take away from Smith at all. He does a good job. But I'm with Chris on this. To me when Matt gives those speeches, I tend to think, "Ah, that's some great writing." When I watch Tennant in those moments, I never even think about the fact that it's something fake written down by someone else. It just feels like something that's coming from deep withing his own soul.

So Matt's epic stuff... I chalk a lot of the brilliance of those moments up to the writers, to be honest. Matt does them well and he's certainly gotten better at them along the way. But he does not have the easy command of those epic moments that Tennant has. Not by a long shot, sorry.

Everton likes this.
  13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's too late to respond in detail (but I think I will tomorrow), but Rachel is right. Matt is awesome, but he's not as accomplished an actor as Tennant. He's just not. When Smith shoots for authority, too often he hits anger, overconfidence, showmanship or bravado instead. Tennant, I think, always hits the target. A deep, fundamental authority. Sure, some of this boils down to a different incarnation of the character, and different actors to portray them... but not all of it.

EDIT: And I'm not saying Matt can't do authority. He's just not on the same level as Tennant when it comes to that particular aspect of the character. Smith is better than Tennant in some areas, too.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well it was fun agreeing when it lasted

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Smith has some great individual qualities as an actor, absolutely. He's a ton of fun and he does some great things with the the character. He is fantastic at displaying the character's age, for one thing. He's great at sitting down and telling stories like an ancient man. I love that about him.

But just from the objective standpoint of someone who observes actors quite regularly as part of my studies and job, in my fairly educated opinion, I just frankly don't think there's any argument as to who's the more accomplished actor. My hope is that Smith gets there one day. We'll see what he does in his career. But Tennant has a special something, a special ability as an actor to tap into something deep and primal within the human condition that frankly all directors and writers pray for in an actor. It's a really rare talent and partly it can't really be taught. Tennant just has it. He has it frankly as deeply as any actor I've ever seen, and that's just not something that Smith or really many other actors can fairly measure up to.

It by no means makes Smith a bad actor. Had Tennant never been the Doctor, I think I would have thought Smith was the best actor to play the role. I wouldn't have ever considered that those epic speeches could have been delivered in a different way, with more pathos and depth and gravity. Because it's not even something you expect actors to do as a writer. It's the sort of thing you see someone like Tennant do on set and as a writer or director your jaw just drops and you feel extremely fortunate that they made your words much better than they ever were on paper. I don't think Smith has ever made the words better than they were on paper, simply just as good.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm not going to get drawn into a pointless Internet debate about who is the 'best actor'. But what I will point out is that the speech Everton quoted was Moffat written. And I think we would all have liked to see a Tennant/Moffat series. But let's not moan at Matt for us not getting that.

17. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Don't think I can agree with that (replying to solojones)

To me, Tennant is really good at showing you one emotion, all at once, very intensely.

This clip is the Colonel Runaway clip. I look at that and see Smith seamlessly jump from emotion to emotion, fully capturing the intensity, playfulness, rage and full threat of the Doctor. In 1 minute and 30 seconds, I see a whole range of emotion. He's acting with his entire body, utilizing his face, his eyes, his body language. It's all there, and all can change at the drop of a fez. I don't see Tennant do that all that often. There's a clear demarcation of what he's expressing a lot of the time. Smith just flows in and out of any kind of emotion way better for me.

Key here being FOR ME.

Plus, Tennant gave us this performance in Goblet of Fire

I can't stop laughing.

Ulicus and V-2 like this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think anyone at all is moaning at Matt for anything. I think we've all been quite clear on how much we love Matt. And yes, I think a Tennant/Moffat series would have been the most longed after thing... but probably would have been so amazing it would have destroyed the universe. So it just couldn't happen. For the sake of humanity ;)

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Question: Would Tennant Wear The Fez?

20. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Tennant has the more desirable C.V., but I don't rate his Doctor that highly. When he did the big trailer speeches and especially when he conveyed sorrow, regret, desperation, etc, his fake accent broke into natural Scots. This is simply bad acting, IMO. Of course the director and editor must share some blame in that respect...

I also can't stand Tennant's attempts at physical comedy, especially the slapstick sped up bits that plagued the Donna era. Again though, the production team has to share some responsibility for that too.

Smith excels because he's being himself. I think that's the only way to play The Doctor. He's a natural choice to play the role - that's not to say that Tennant wasn't, but I thought his characterisation choices were misguided.

In terms of gravitas in the role I don't think there's much to separate Smith and Tennant, I just find Smith more believable.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Would be fun to see somebody put it on his head at one point in the 50th. :)

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    And McCoy gets all the grief for the gurning... ;)

Oh, I enhanced the Hila image a little:

[​IMG]

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    More Nerdist stuff with Arthur Darvil:

24. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    The best thing would be if 11 would put the fez on 9 and 9 would shout at 11.

But we won't see that...

unless....

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I hate to tell you, V-2, but that crazy weird slapstick stuff is Tennant being himself :p

I'd love to see Ten put on the Fez and Eleven put on some 3D glasses please.

Juliet316 likes this.