main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If rumors are true and Matt's leaving Christmas time then any announcement of his departure is already at a shorter notice than when David Tennant announced his departure. In fact if he leaves in season 8 and that's supposed to air next spring then going by the Tennant announcement a departure reveal is about due.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have said all along that I won't be the least bit surprised if Matt leaves during the 50th or at Christmas (is there going to be a Christmas special?) And I also wouldn't be surprised if that's something Moffat tries to keep a secret for as long as possible. Or he could let rumours fly, then have you think he's going to regenerate and not do it.

I don't know. The Moffat lies :p

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If Matt Smith is regenerating this year and the first we see and hear of it is in the episode itself, then Moffat truly knows how to maintain a tight ship. Not even Russell T Davies could manage this with two of his beloved timelords.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Matt's confirmed in several interviews (including a Jonathan Ross one I posted a couple months back) that he's doing a Christmas Special this year (and the BBC has stated there will be one also).

Edit:
    Who knows about the 50th or Christmas, but if a regen's coming, I don't think it's in the S7 finale like some think. Obviously, no proof either way, but just based on some of the set photos and what was rumored the cast lines were from the Trafalgar Square shoot (the one where Matt was hanging off the end of the TARDIS), it seems that the Special starts off as relatively normal for Eleven and Clara before Eleven ends up hanging for dear life on the bottom of his ship. So I'm betting that the Doctor escapes Trenzalore in one piece in The Name of the Doctor.

5. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I highly doubt that's going to happen. Filming on next season will start before the specials air which would mean that most of next season's stories would have to have virtually no on location shooting to keep the secret, ramping up the cost of super expensive sets and CGI. So I'm fairly certain that if a regeneration is coming then people should expect the reveal some time before September (Which is when JLC stated that filming starts.).

Given we know that the season finale features Trenzalore I'd make a hesitant guess that a potential reveal may be in a couple of weeks.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    But isn't Matt currently in the USA? Or are they going to push back the S8 launch date to accommodate for Matt's schedule? I guess this is why BBC have kept quiet on all things DW in 2014. Unless they plan on having a gap year or just a handful of specials as with Tennant's final year?

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I mean, I'm assuming it's something he got in the lost Marco Polo episodes... but... Ian, you're wearing an embroidered bathrobe.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well depending on how big of a role he actually has in the Gosling film he's shooting, it would only be at least a couple of months, maybe three max (especially as correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't a sci - fi film with any SFX needed), so if he is inded doing S8 and it's shooting in September (as well as the Christmas Special, I'd imagine), May to at least July is time enough to do the film and then come back to shoot Who again (and July to September time enough for him to regrow his hair back. Oh Matt, the shorn look really really isn't a good one for you).

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Sounds like it's going to need some degree of effects work. And Matt is the male lead according to most sources, so he's going to be shooting start to finish.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hmmmm...[face_dunno]

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's an indie film. It's probably not shooting for more than two months, max. A lot of times those things get shot in a month. Christina Hendricks wouldn't be able to be in it if it were shooting for more than a couple months, btw, considering that she still has another season of Mad Men to shoot and the hiatus for that is only a couple months.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I was considering the indie side of it when I was calculating how long Matt might be shooting. I had forgotten Hendricks was attached to it, solojones is right, given AMC's short shooting breaks for some of their series (The Walking Dead is already back in production shooting season four), her involvement would have some impact on the shooting schedule of the Gosling film.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, they could avoid all that by planning Series 8 for autumn instead of spring. In that case, there could be a surprise regeneration in the Christmas Special with the Twelfth Doctor shooting Series 8 in early 2014.

Personally, I'd really like a surprise regeneration (i.e. where the next Doctor isn't announced to the public beforehand). And like I've probably already said, they could do something unique - have the Doctor regenerate somewhere in the middle of the episode, so that the new incarnation has to solve the problem AND deal with the post-regeneration madness. :D Moffat runs a very tight ship, so I guess it could happen, in terms of keeping secrecy.

Everton and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I've always wondered why there has never been a regeneration episode where the Doctor actually meets his future self and doesn't realise it. But his future self is somehow required to help him survive and regenerate. The Next Doctor was a great attempt at this and gave some hints as to how this idea could be tackled, but it turned into Michael Bay style schlock toward the end.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, I'd definitely love that. Have an episode where the current Doctor meets the future Doctor, but the future one is keeping incognito (he'd have to use a different pseudonym than John Smith, though :p), and then a few episodes later - wham, a regeneration to a familiar face. :D They've proved with Clara that they can keep a secret like that.

EDIT: Heck, then they could have the new Doctor look into a mirror, go "huh, interesting", and then show the same story from his perspective.

16. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Matt Smith has certainly grown into the role, and this season is by far his best performance so far.

But I still think they need to go back to an older actor for the next Doctor.
    Someone like Bill Nighy would be cool.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Alex Ferguson is available

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It'd be great if 12 says he's Matt or Matthew Smith and 11 gives him a weird look.

:p

Oh and as for OldWho I'm currently on the Marco Polo reconstructions. I'm hoping to finish Hartnell before the summer is out.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. mackpol

mackpol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 30, 2002
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm sure I saw something that said Matt confirmed he was definitely doing another series. If they have to hold it up for him to be ready, so be it. That happened to Sherlock after all

If you want old and Scottish, there is no-one better than Sean Connery. His Doctor would be awesome.

Did they? When she was in Asylum of the Daleks weren't people like "oh look it's that new companion girl"? It was announced before the series started that she had been cast.

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And upon his regeneration he could look into a mirror and go "Oh great, I've turned into James Bond." :p

I meant her surprise appearance in the Asylum. People knew she was the new companion, but weren't expecting to see her before the 2012 Christmas Special.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    They kept it secret that she was in an episode prior to her taking over. They HAD to announce her casting beforehand otherwise that twist would make no sense!

23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    4 to 5 comes close, with "The Watcher", I suppose. 6 to 7 almost kind of nearly maybe sort of fits the criteria, though Trial... wasn't a regeneration story (even if it was Colin's swansong).

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Not to mention having the greatest ever farewell quote by a Doctor..."Carrot Juice?! Carrot Juice?!"

25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Before falling off his exercise bike, yeah.