main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    David Tennant on the Jonathan Ross show:

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I liked that video a couple weeks ago when you posted it and we had a whole discussion about whether David was lying or not about knowing nothing :p

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well I figured I'd post the YouTube version of it for those who are link - phobic since I couldn't embed it at the time.:p

Somebody posted a theory this morning that the 50th would
    Center around the Doctor discovering his life was a TV Show in another dimension.

As much as I'd like some great big bad that would bring multiple Doctors together to mark the 50th (and who knows, it could be some great Big Bad that sends the Doctor to this TV dimension), I think I'd kind of sort of be okay with this. It could have a serious plot on how the Doctor gets back to the Whoverse and poke some fun at some of the more rediculous points in it's past along the way. Plus you could even theoretically bring past actors who played the Doctor in as themselves without having to juggle near impossible timey whimey explanations for why they don't look as they did when they regenerated while being able to acknowledge the passing of other actors. Same with Companions, plus you could possibly sneak in a cameo by Karen and Arthur since technically it wouldn't be Amy and Rory returning.

Thoughts?

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Name of the youngest child in The Snowmen was Digby (1892)
    The house in Doctor, Widow and Wardrobe belonged to Uncle Digby (1941)

Rew, Miana Kenobi and Random Comments like this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hmm. Good catch. [face_thinking] Of course, it could mean absolutely nothing, but it's still interesting.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Stop everything! This is one of the greatest pictures ever:

[​IMG]

EDIT 2: Okay evidently it was from that convention a lot of them were at, so not a shop. I was gonna say. But the guy in the middle isn't Matt... which is what threw me. Because I knew he wasn't that tall.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Best thing about that picture is that it's not Matt Smith

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah see that's what made me think it was a shop of some kind at first because I could tell it wasn't Matt. Especially because that guy (Matt Elliott) is too tall. But what a lucky jerk :p

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, it did fool me for a minute or two, I admit. :p Still, a great picture.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If you hadn't said anything, I would have absolutely thought that it was Matt Smith, because damn that's a really good, spooky resemblance.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I can see his eyebrows, therefore it's not Smith.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm almost done with season 1 of Torchwood, and while it's fun, I'm really not digging it. Is season 2 better?

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Season 2 is better though still uneven. Children of Earth is the only consistently good thing Torchwood has done.

darthcaedus1138 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm still unsure if I like Owen or not. He can be so sweet but he's such a skeeze.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it's still a touch uneven in S2 (and I thought S1 was better than S2). On the plus side,
    you get Martha Jones for a few eps in the middle of S2

Edit: I think RTD may have realized Owen might have been a bit too on the creepy side, because there does seem to be a serious effort to humanize Owen a bit in S2.

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Owen is portrayed as a full-blown rapist in the pilot. Season 1 definitely suffered from RTD trying to make an "adult" show in the Doctor Who universe. Everyone being bisexual, while it's believable for Jack who's from a very different time, is very stupid for a diverse group of people c. 2005-- though IIRC the only indication of Owen's bisexuality was that he was raping a couple...

Season 2 is darker, I think, but the "wow guyz we curse and we kinda murder and kidnap people and everyone makes out with everyone isn't that kewl and edgy" thing is toned down. I remember there being practically no cursing at all in Children of Earth, which is a bit too much in the opposite direction, but whatever.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, there's also the guy he's investigating in Combat. Maybe there's no overt sexual activity, but the attraction was there IMO.

You could make the case that Gwen's not really bisexual given the only time she kisses a girl is when she's under the influence of the pheramones of the alien possessing the girl she's kissing.

And yes, the sex content by and large is toned down, but the story definitely takes a darker turn in S2, especially mid - season.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah... Bring me set pics and I'll believe it.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    None of it really seems farfetched. It's vague and the only "revelation" it has is that all 11 Doctors will feature. In the 50th anniversary special?! Well, I never!

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's just, I don't want to start building up all my expectations for this and then have all those hopes cruelly dashed. I've been there, done that before, and Who has the capacity to do that more than most.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I am not "afraid" of being disappointed. It's well within the realm of possibility, sure, but I'm not going to break down if the anniversary turns out to be a MS Paint birthday cake at the end of the series 7 finale credits.

I liked 7.1 well enough despite some misgivings (mostly "Angels in Manhattan" plotholes and convoluted-ness), so I can be reasonably sure I'll like what comes soon afterward.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well yeah, it's not far-fetched. That doesn't mean it's based on actual intelligence, though, as the author tries to imply. There's absolutely nothing known or official at all, so I'm not going to believe this random reporter somehow has the scoop.