main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Based on your thoughts, I will definitely give it another go after Tenth Planet :)

V-2 likes this.
  2. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Saw this car today...

[​IMG]

Everton likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wiiiiiiiiiiii

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Tooth and Claw:

I liked the bald ninja dudes at the beginning. Not what I would expect from a 19th century religious cult.

Really, Doctor, is the date input on the Tardis that much harder than one on a Delorean? This is the second time you've been off IIRC.

That said, it is nice to know that the Doctor makes mistakes like any of us.

I like a good werewolf story and enjoyed the overall plot of this episode, especially the background of the werewolf himself.

Queen Victoria: for the most part I enjoyed her portrayal, from her reaction to Rose's "nakedness" ("I have five daughters") to the constant Prince Albert references, which would fit with everything I've read about her. I really liked the discussion about death, and Victoria not understanding why a Great Creator would allow permanent separation with no contact.

Rose constantly trying to get her to say "I am not amused" was annoying though. Even the banishment at the end didn't make up for that.

PCCViking, Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, this was an enjoyable episode by and by. Plenty of cute Ten/Rose moments and a badass Queen Victoria (even if she did banish Ten/Rose at the end and form Torchwood)

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    QFT.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    After Matt's 'Thank you' to the fans, some fans on YouTube have turned right around and made a 'Thank you' vid to him:

Ulicus likes this.
  8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Best thing about Tooth & Claw is a Scotsman doing an Englishman doing a Scottish accent.

And the reference to Balamory is simply a delight.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I will admit that I do wish the show had let Tennant speak in his own Scottish accent a bit more during his run.

V-2 likes this.
  10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. The Doctor is English. Ecclestone's accent is as far away from the Queens English as I'd like to go

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    What about McCoy?

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That's funny, I thought he was an alien. And yeah, McCoy?

Mar17swgirl and Juliet316 like this.
  13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Nowhere near as pronounced as Tennant's natural accent. And I'm not going to get drawn into the 'he's an alien' debate. Though I will touch on that tomorrow with my review of the next Hartnell episode.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not one for plastering my face on the internet... but I kind of wish I were in that. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I hear you completely on that one.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Best part of Tooth & Claw for me is that the next episode is the return of K9. [face_dancing]

Oh, and as to that other ongoing discussion, Hartnell's near-dozen part story, The Dalek Invasion of Earth is one of the best of the entire original run.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh snap. That's where I am next. I might just watch that over the weekend.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It truly set a precedent for Doctor Who's series theme of battling alien invaders, but in earth settings. It helps that it takes place in the future, but Daleks rampaging through London Town holds up fairly brilliantly decades later.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I take back my "Doctor should have an English accent" comment though I am still glad Tennant used one.

As for the Alien thing, I'm into the 2nd season now and it seems clear to me that they had no clue as to the Doctor's history at this point. He's hardly even in the shows with all the action happening with the companions. Doctor Who? indeed. He has made more than one reference to his "heart", he has a grand-daughter. And I may be wrong on this point, but I don't recall any reference to him being non-human.

But moving on to the opening of Season Two

Planet of Giants

This episode is simply wonderful. I was chuffed with myself for figuring out within minutes what I thought would be the big twist at the end only for the characters to realise it seconds later. But everything about this episode works. The music is excellent, but top top credit has to go to the set and the director. Everything seemed to be in scale, from matches to plugs, phones to briefcases The cuts to the briefcase were spot on, and the director really managed to get a sense of the scale with close-ups, and high shots. I'm just glad they didn't see any spiders.

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's only 6 episodes :p

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Re: the Doctor's accent. Personally I don't care what it is, as long as it comes from the British isles. It's, after all, a cult British show, so I wouldn't want the Doctor to have an American or French or whatever accent. But anything British is fine by me - whether it's Welsh or Irish or Northern English or Scottish.

Ulicus and Everton like this.
  22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't care what accent The Doctor has so long as it isn't painfully forced. It's the performance and personality that is important to me, not the accent.

darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Hartnell yesterday, Chesterton today!

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really miss the roundels in the new series.