main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I'm rewatching BSG and it's reminding me... James Callis would be a good Doctor.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    I don't know if anyone's seen this wonderful video, but I've been watching it repeatedly for the past two weeks, so...enjoy.

Ulicus likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    He had archons in his other children's series....pleas let them not try to crossover.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    In the absence of a demanding social calendar I found myself watching an episode of Midsomer Murders last night. Callis was playing a pair of twin brothers - posh twin brothers - one nasty, one nice-but-dim. I'll admit I've not seen BSG, but from this single exposure I can't say he struck me as a good candidate to play The Doctor.

EDIT: I should stress that the episode was on the TV, and not something I cued up myself. :p

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thought some of you might be interested ... we're running a game of Doctor Who Mad Libs! Easy, fun way to win colors. Also, Doctor Who.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Shooting for an Adventure in Space and Time is gearing up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Awesome.

Last few weeks, not been moping as such, but definitely been feeling the lack of the Doctor Who forum that I used to frequent on the Temp Boards, till just now, when I literally decided to investigate the Watch Threads and Search Forums links at the top opf the screen, for the first time.

I was this close to asking a mod if we could have a Doctor Who thread, and here you are.

Hi all!

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm surprised you could feel any lack of DW thread at all, since this one usually stays within the first two pages... :p Plus there's also the Classic Who and Audio Who threads that Koohii updates from time to time and the Top DW episodes countdown thread that halibut updates, like, never.

:p

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe even less time now that halibut is no longer a mod.

Random Comments likes this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The countdown thread that has like 7 episodes left. The best ones, that we probably all would really like talking about :p

But yes, hello and welcome.

Chris, I have no idea how Callis would do playing either of the sorts of roles you mentioned. Nor do I know whether that production was well written ;) All I can say is that his work in BSG spans a large variety of territory, and he did manage to pull off the intelligence as well (which is always a concern and not something every actor can do, no matter if they're good at other things). He was really always one of the highlights of the show, whether it was a serious, strange, or comedic situation. When we speak of the next Doctor being someone perhaps in their 40s (Callis is 41), and people who would realistically be available, I think he'd have to at least be on the board. He'd be different than any of the three Doctors we've had in NuWho, I think, which would be good.

Also, why on earth have you never seen BSG?!

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From what little I've seen of BSG in passing, I see him rather as a Master type myself.;)

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    BSG and Stargate are both shows that I know I would like, have seen a few episodes of, but just haven't had the time to watch.

Kinda like Doctor Who until 2 months ago. :p

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I can tell you that Midsomer Murders is not well written. It's a coast-through (albeit watchable) two-hour detective drama set in a sleepy village where there have now been so many murders I can scarcely believe anyone is brave enough to live there. Very British. :p I probably only watched through because of your post and the fact that one of his characters survived to the 'gripping' dénouement*. :p Still, I did say that I was judging from this single exposure. I can see that he qualifies in terms of age and availability, but seemed to be too 'standard' an actor to play The Doctor. I didn't detect a spark, but maybe that's because he's good enough to give the right type of mediocre performance required by Midsomer Murders but can also step it up when involved in more challenging productions. In terms of looks I think he's another one of those on-the-nose types... "he looks like The Doctor". Personally, I'd stay away from that.

I have absolutely no idea. :p It's a gap, I'll admit.

*actually that's a barefaced lie. I am quite prone to sitting down and watching a two-hour (as broadcast) detective drama... be it Midsomer Murders, Poirot or Marple.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, he's anything but standard in BSG. Regardless of whether he'd make a good Doctor, though, you need to see BSG. And Rachel! You too. What is wrong with you people. Here I am rewatching it for the umpteenth time. Shame on you. Shame! So many amazing characters and storylines. That show dealt with modern warfare and moral problems better than any other show or film has. And yeah, Baltar is my favorite, because, well... he's the Ben Linus of BSG :p Well, sort of. He's not really that actively malicious. Maybe that's why I don't really see Callis as The Master.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Baltar would make a good Master.

Not so much the Doctor.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Mostly I'd just like to see him somewhere on the show... but I'm still convinced he could make a good, albeit different, sort of Doctor. It's not that I'm sick of uber warm and quirky, it's just that I think the show could do with something vastly different. What would be wrong with something still odd but perhaps even a little more Hartnell-esque? The Doctor could do with being a bit professorial I think. It might be interesting.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe a revamped Valeyard if Moffat or whoever's the showrunner at that point goes down that road.

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    ... you're creeping me out, Everton. This is exactly what my Dad says - almost word for word. He and my mom are regular Midsomer Murders viewers, mostly for the entertainment value of poking fun at it.

By the way - hi, everyone. I've been in lurker mode. Busy life. The entire ensemble of my current show is Doctor Who obsessed! We leave little TARDISes drawn on the chalk boards in the studios.

I haven't thought much about who would make a good Doctor. For some reason it's a DW topic I never really end up speculating about all that much.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Hi Idri. :) Midsomer's a strange, dreadful, entertaining beast. Lurking in the schedules, waiting to wreck any unsuspecting evening. :p My parents... well... my Mum, has a remarkable ability not to miss it. :p

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    At the time of Tennant's departure I believe he said he wasn't interested in the role - lots of fans had suggested it, iirc, and I thought he would be great, but I can see how he might be worried it would just be Baltar played at a different speed.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That was simply fantastic.

It's funny you should say that, because I have Callis cast as the young First Doctor in my mind.