main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    IMO, I like the look of the 2010 series much better than previous look of NuWho. Glarey, washed out, and cheap* are all words that come to mind. Since Series 5 however, the lighting has tended to be darker, which favors the effects. Because of this, I am way more likely to watch these better looking episodes (though they might not be the best episodes) rather than watch standard, average episodes from the past series. It takes a very great episode of Who before 2010 (and I don't have a problem with Eccleston and Tennant either. I love them both. The fact that I prefer Smith, as I see it, has nothing to do with it.) to make me rewatch it. Which is why there's only 10-20 episodes I'd seriously consider going back to rewatch, instead of regularly watching some of the episodes regardless of my opinion of their overall quality. Proof in point: I actually don't like all that much the Silurian duology, but I'd easily watch that over the Cybermen duology, the Cyberman-Dalek duology, the Daleks in Manhattan duology (oh God no) and the Sontaran duology. Easily.

*Note: The exception to this is Euros Lyn. Whenever there's a Euros Lyn episode, it's at least got a watchable aesthetic to it.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given that Doctor Who is the BBC's flagship show they should make it look as good as they can. We aren't used to the look right now but the longer it goes on the more we will be. Methods of filming change over time as has always been the way, if it makes the quality better then I think it should be welcomed.

Frankly I'm not sure I notice that much difference between Who since it came back and as it is right now except perhaps some lighting. But that can also easily come down to the fact that when Who came back I was watching it on an analogue signal with an analogue TV and then Digital through a box on the same TV. Since getting HD the quality of Smith's current run is clearly superior, but I put that down more to seeing it in HD compared to how I used to watch it.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Found this on YouTube:

Ulicus likes this.
  5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm currently rewatching the Eccelston and Tennant years before I plunge into SJA and Old Who. God I miss these two men. :(

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I love that man.

solojones likes this.
  7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This might sound silly, but I watch him speak and it's as if he's still Ian. Some people age, and change with it. He hasn't. He'd slip back into the role and all would be well.

solojones, Ulicus and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The image of Tom Baker in that article would make a good icon if the very top of his hair were visible. :p

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that's an unconfirmed rumour, I'm afraid.

Translation: fans' wishful thinking

The headline is misleading.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Also, Daily Mirror.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And from what I've seen on other sites, apparently the Moffat quote was taken from an older intervew.

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I just read the first few sentences. It would be cool, though!

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Found this on YouTube:

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "I guess as you look forward to the ultimate grave, you begin to become more aware of your place in the scheme of things. And how you sort of fit into that kind of line, really. And what's brought you here, and what's defined who are you are, really, and that you're just one chunk in a chain, really, that goes on in a sort of fairly random progression of DNA that lurches forward through the centuries, that define what you look like, and what you sound like, and how you act, and whether you're gonna go bald, and..."

For a moment there I forgot what I was watching and thought Ten was ranting about regeneration. :p

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, that made me tremendously happy. I agree with Chris, I can see him slipping right back into the role. Put him in the show now!

Everton, Ulicus and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Saw a design of a new T-Shirt over at Threadless.com. Sort of a Doctor Who/Disney crossover one:

[​IMG]

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Karen is the artist behind all those really good Disney/Who crossover art. http://khallion.deviantart.com/gallery/

I was super angry that I didn't get one of the Belle shirts, as the sizes I need sold out within the first 3 hours. I have a print of the Belle one, though!

In other news, I'm almost done with season 2 in my rewatch. Except I saw that Army of Ghosts and Doomsday are next, and am current pretty much like this:

[​IMG]

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I get that way too whenever Doomsday comes about on BBCA

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I liked Rose so much better this time around. I really disliked her on my first watch through.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Also also, I just had 2 minor heart attacks in a row.

Thanks to ebay, I obtained seasons 1-6 of nuWho for pretty much what amazon wanted just for season 2 (yay!) The season 1 and 2 boxes got a bit squished in the mail, but fortunately I already own season 1 in a nicer box. They're not even opened, which is awesome.

So then I see that pretty much all of them have the number 2 on the side. And I immediately think "oh crap did I accidentally buy Region 2?? I totally remember seeing it say it was Region 1!"

So then I run back to my ebay auction and am more freaked out because the user removed the listing from ebay and ebay telling me that if I haven't received the package, then I'm not obligated to pay. So now I'm freaking out that I've been duped.

Except then I notice that is says 2 with a smaller "entertain" underneath. Which, after a quick google search, tells me that 2 Entertain is BBC's video distributor. [face_relieved]

I also find the small print on the back that confirms it is in fact Region 1. So yay.

BUT THEN, I look and all of them say "As seen on BBC America." And as I know that BBC America edits the episodes, I then freaked out even more because now I thought that it means that all of the episodes on the DVD will be the stupid edited ones. Again, frantic google searching ensued. I found a discussion about it on Amazon, and someone confirms to not worry and that they're the full episodes. [face_worried]

Random Comments and Mar17swgirl like this.
  25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Sorry to hear you suffered so many panic attacks. :p [:D]