main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Location hunting with Everton and Mar. Name the episode!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Five points

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The wallpaper gives it away. It's very very distinctive.

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's the Giant Horse of Tyntesfield!!!

halibut and Everton like this.
  7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Saw this yesterday (sorry about the large size). Completely fan-made, but it might make your eyes a bit misty nonetheless:

[​IMG]

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Happy Birthday to Shalka!Doctor and the Great Intelligence, Richard E. Grant!

9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure about giving the War Doctor a companion. I'd have figured, given his new purpose in life as a Dalek-killing machine, he'd work alone. Also, since he's rejected the title of "Doctor", what would the companion call him?

Still, I might just get this one.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Sorry for the long gap between reviews, just had a busy last week with Uni and submitting assignments!

4.05: The Sontaran Stratagem [Part 1]

"If that's what you want. Only. It's a bit soon. I had so many places I wanted to take you. The fifteenth broken moon of the Medusa Cascade. The lightning skies of Cotter Palluni's World. Diamond coral reefs of Kataa Flo Ko. Thank you. Thank you, Donna Noble. It's been brilliant. You've... you've saved my life in so many ways. You're— you're just popping home for a visit, that's what you mean."

Series 4 is a reunion series of sorts because we revisit a substantial number of characters that the Doctor has shared the journey with since 2005. This time around it's Martha but there will be several more throughout the season. In a way this feels like a far more fitting season to have Tennant's final season rather than the final chapter which leads into the eventual epilogue. Sontaran Stratagem is an episode I want to enjoy but I can't quite get there because the characters aren't really done any justice through the writing, to an extent this includes the Doctor himself.

The most glaringly flawed character in this episode has got to be Luke Rattigan, the teenage billionaire without a modicum of a backstory. I didn't care for the character because all we see him do is whinge and then scheme. He's essentially the love child of Osama Bin Laden and Richie Rich because we're not really given much insight into why his character is so driven and persuaded by the Sontaran's or why he has been corrupted to the point of turning on humanity. His character is two-dimensional to the point of comedy but without any witty or memorable dialogue. This is turn doesn't give David Tennant much to work with since he is not given an adversary that engages his intellect. Perhaps the most intelligent we see the Doctor is when he uses the racket and ball to, quite tenuously, disrupt the flow of air into the Sontaran troop.

There's a lot of lost potential so far because the Sontaran's are terrific in this episode. Donna is developing further and Martha did have some promise to do something wonderful, but I can't justify her presence at all. This could have been any other character, even The Brigadier or his daughter. There is nothing in her appearance in this episode that expands on her development as a character.

3 out of 5

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I wish this was being written by Matt Stover.

(Though I'm willing to give it a look, anyway.)

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Matt Stover writing a Doctor Who novel would be awesome!

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Are you my mummy?

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    "This is how it feels to be the grizzled, war-weary old Time Lord who used to be called the Doctor but rejected that name when he regenerated and went to war against the Daleks and is now sometimes called the War Doctor and completely changes the way we number the Doctor's incarnations...right now."

halibut, Ulicus and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "The part-time Doctor passed into the lands of the dead, and there he strove with monsters.

In the lands of the dead, there is only one certainty. It is the certainty of self. This is why tales and legends people those lands with monsters.

It has been written that when one contends with monsters, one risks becoming a monster.

This is not true.

The true risk is that one might discover the monster one has always been."

(As an aside: ACTS OF CAINE series, READ IT! ^:)^ :p )

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Or:

"This is how it feels to be a Dalek right now..."

"ExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateBoyDoIHateTheDoctorExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminateExterminate..."

And it goes on like that for about five more pages.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Edit: I'd also wonder how Peter David would handle a Doctor Who episode.

Rew and mackpol like this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Wonder if that spoon is one of Seven's.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

How the Doctor plays it so *straight* and serious, complete with a dramatic flair, while fighting a swordsman with... a spoon! That has totally made my day!
    I seriously can't wait for series 8 to begin. Capaldi is going to dazzle and amaze. :D

Juliet316 and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    How anybody managed to not bust out laughing while that was being filmed, I have no clue. This is going to be a fun series.:)

Rew likes this.
  23. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    So there's this con I'll be attending for the third time coming up. The last year I cosplayed as a makeshift Vader and that went over well, but this year I wanna try doing something without wearing a mask as that made me really uncomfortable.

So I'm considering one of the Doctors. However assuming that I have practically no budget and I'm just using clothes, what would be the easiest Doctor to cosplay as? I also wanna raise Doctor Who awareness as its only slowly gaining a small fan liking here.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The easiest would probably be Nine's as his outfit was basically, jeans, v-neck jumper and a leather jacket. The most recognizable right now, of course would likely be Ten's pinstriped suit and Eleven's tweed jacket and bowtie.

Found this:

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    [​IMG]