main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm hoping Eccelston's thing is a misdirection (so maybe he AND Barrowman will be in the 50th). :(

TrandoJedi, Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Fake spoiler concerning the appearance of the 12th Doctor in the upcoming special:

[​IMG]

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Holy lens flare, Batman. Is JJ Abrams directing it?

4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Would. Be. Awesome.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice photo manip. If one didn't know that was Tennant's TARDIS used for the background, you wouldn't necessarily know it's a fake on sight.

[​IMG]

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Not mine though, folks. A friend sent it to me. Should have pointed that out earlier. A very nice piece of editing, I must find the doctoring Doctor who did it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think tonight's episode can be summarised with a big fat "meh". I liked the nods to Susan and Omega, and Matt's performance when telling the old god the story of The Doctor was fantastic, that scene really geared me up for seeing him on the Fields of Trenzalore. But the episode surrounding those nice little moments was just filler. Hopefully Neil Cross' next episode will be a good one.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought it started off really nicely with Clara getting the Doctor to show her somewhere awesome, the two of them wandering around, and her making friends with the girl. Nice little moments there giving the characters room to breathe. But then we got too much waving the sonic screwdriver around, and the whole story-sacrificing thing which went for big emotions but didn't make much sense.

V-2 likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Got to agree. The story about the leaf and Clara's parents was pretty good but once they hit the planetary religious ceremony stuff I had that 'meh' feeling as well. I may watch it again on the BBC3 repeat on Friday but I think this episode goes into the 'must try harder' pile.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Pfft. That's Rassilon.

V-2 and KamSolusar like this.
  11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Every Rassilon regeneration was the previous Bond Actor. I love it.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    That episode was a lot better than the preview suggested. Not brilliant, but definitely a good 'un

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I really really liked it. It wasn't mindblowingly awesome, but it was still really good and I enjoyed it. It didn't seem to have much plot (indeed, it seemed much shorter to me), but I didn't mind that - the plot was simple and fairly straightforward, and the episode was more about Clara's character anyway. Loved the backstory of Clara's parents and her childhood (even though the Doctor stalking her was a little bit creepy :p). The setting on the Rings of Akhaten was a cross between "The Beast Below" and the Mos Eisley cantina, which was fun. :p Loved the concept of a continuous song spanning generations. The girl playing the Queen of Years was really good. The bit with the star being sentient echoed "42" slightly, and the effect of the "face" in the star wasn't particularly great, but it's just a minor quirk. The Doctor's speech was awesome and Matt delivered it magnificently - and Clara's addition was really good as well. And I loved her stating outright at the end that she's her own person and doesn't want to be a placeholder for someone else.

A solid 7.5 out of 10 from me.

And I'm really, really, REALLY excited for next week (and Liam Cunningham)! :D

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Not reading anything you guys are posting right now just in case, but what's our spoiler policy for this thread? Free reign after it airs in the UK, free reign after it airs in the US, highlight for 1 day, highlight for 1 week, ??

I have to wait for itunes now so I won't get to see it until tomorrow. :( :(

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Yeah, pretty much free reign after the UK airing, *it was the unoffical agreement among us when Asylum of the Daleks aired the last day of the Temp Board era*(though one or two posts with spoiler tags after the UK show airs would be helpful to warn those of us waiting for the US/other ways to watch the episode to get out of the thread until we've seen it. *hint hint*)

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    8/10 for me, I really liked it. As I suspected it's a lot like an 8th Doctor adventure, and I love that about it.

Idea of sentient planet that feeds on peoples sentimental feelings is pretty awesome. Maybe the thing was created because of their trade system?

The Doctor's speeches were very, very nice and had amazing delivery by Matt.

Clara is great. Can't wait to see more of her.

I like how he mentioned Susan. What was the Omega mention?

The direction seemed...off. Some of the shot choices didn't seem right, and some intensity was lost at times of action.

The Vigil were cool though I wish they would've gotten to do much. I liked the Sonic vs. Sonic battle.

Mummy thing was neat.

Oh and Cantina market was really excellent.

V-2 likes this.
  17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So their System no longer has a Sun or similar intense source of heat and light? Way to go Doctor! :p

18. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was just a gas giant, I believe, not the main heat source ;)

The episode was pretty good, I loved the speeches. Amazing on Matt's part, Clara was great too.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    In the next episode of Doctor Who, the night submarine is dark and full of terrors. :p

"Next time" trailer:

TV trailer:

BBC America trailer:

» "The signal is genuine."
    » "This means nothing to me…"
    » "Professor, I could kiss you."
    » "Karaoke? Hen night?"
    » "This planet is forfeit under marshall law."
    » "Everything's bigger."
    » "It's not a mammoth, no."
    » "We go way back, way back."
    » "This is a soldier and it deserves our respect."
    » "Oh look, you've got me telling you about them and I said there wasn't time."

» The Doctor has a new toy.
    » Was that a Little Britain reference?
    » Clara does something the Doctor did in 'The Rings of Akhaten'.
    » The Doctor has been making some modifications to the TARDIS.
    » David Warner's character is quite different to those he shares a submarine with.
    » The Ice Warrior has a bit of an R2D2 moment, and a Han Solo one too.
    » The Doctor is trying to something he tried to do in a previous Mark Gatiss story.
    » Clara discovers something new about the TARDIS.
    » The Doctor is aware of someone and their work.
    » Someone loves Ultravox.

I'm really hyped for the next episode. :D

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Liam Cunningham (Davos) on submarine with the Doctor? Sold.

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    My thoughts on the episode. Good but not great. It was certainly better than Rose's first foray into space, but not as good as Amy's (but since that had "The bloody Queen, mate"... how could it be?). :p

When Clara's mother turned up in the recent prequel mini-episode I hoped (openly) that that would be the only time we saw her parents. Funny how things turn out... because way her parents were worked into the story, and particularly how all the possibilities that leaf represented seemed to trump everything The Doctor could offer... was brilliant. The leaf, and the words her father spoke to her mother about how all it had to happen that way for them to meet. Gorgeous. [face_love]

For me, the Doctor's grandstanding - before Clara presented the leaf - was a little forced. A little deliberate. It moved me, of course, and Matt Smith gave the speech his all, but it seemed like Cross was consciously trying to set up a big speech. Perhaps so that Clara's offering could undermine it, I don't know, but despite all the words about how fundamental The Doctor is to well... everything, it lacked the power of the quiet words a young boy called Latimer once spoke to confused man called John Smith. Never mind though, I do love it when The Doctor's influence on the Universe is explicitly stated. Even more when he's the speaker.

I love the concept of the everlasting song - lullaby. I loved how The Doctor called that... thing... on it's true status. It was no God, merely a parasite. A God should offer, not take.

Clara was a delight throughout. Even when she was being introduced to the market by The Doctor, she was demanding information. She wasn't just occupying The Doctor's wake. This is a confident young woman... she even had the nerve to imply The Doctor give up his sonic screwdriver (in return for the scooter thing). There's just no way any previous NuWho companion would have done that. There's a very interesting relationship developing between her and The Doctor. He seems primarily interested in the mystery surrounding her, but she doesn't want to be his companion on that basis alone. She really wants to come with him, but only if he will accept her as she is. This Clara, not as some piece of a bigger puzzle The Doctor is trying to solve. She's demanding an adult relationship with him. Basically, she won't take any ****. Which is a characteristic I'd hoped she'd display. It has to be on her terms. I wonder how The Doctor is going to deal with that. Also, I wonder if her suspicion that the TARDIS doesn't like her will be revisited?

Oh and I loved The Doctor constantly reminding everyone just how heavy that door was. :p

Next weeks looks great, though. :D

Admiral Volshe and Mar17swgirl like this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    The Rings of Akhaten

I think a more fitting title for this episode would have been The Beast Below Deep Space Babylon Galactica Miserables. I apologise in advance, but this week was just overly dramatic, directionless, uninspired filler. The episode was very nice to look at. Great sets, CGI, costume and makeup. But as with some of the latest offerings of Doctor Who at the moment, the writing is falling short of what has been making this show worth watching. I can't even accuse the episode of dumbing down because it just meandered around an idea that was never realised.

If I had to sum it up, in its train wreck of a state, the story simply didn't give me any incentive to care at all. Even the setup of the actual premise started to show signs of early decay. The Bells of St John gave us a focal point to look to, slowly built the crescendo brilliantly but concluded the arc on a bit of a whimper. Akhaten on the other hand fails because it is only one fifth told. The character of the little girl was poorly written because we got absolutely no sense of who she was. This lack of depth resulted in us not knowing who cared for her. As a result, I didn't care because no real context was provided as to who was keeping her in captivity or who cared for her. This apathy is further reinforced by the fact that our introduction to her is simply a girl wandering the streets on her own hiding from two cloaked alien males. Had the audience been informed of the real consequences or a possible plan B that would come at a cost, then maybe this plot device would have been more effective. Instead, Akhaten attempts to hug on our heartstrings by giving us a little girl to focus on. If she's small, female, and frail, she must be important. Can you imagine how much more inept this would have looked with a 20-30 year old actress?

Therefore, what on Earth did the Doctor and Clara do that saved the day? We didn't see them motivate the crowd into song. If the ultimate treatment at the end was to resonate emotion through song and art form, then it's unclear why a group of artists or songwriters hadn't come together earlier on to combat this idea. I mean, they had the arena and the audience. It's this fact which leads me to the Doctor's saving of the day because if his 900+ years of experience in collaboration with the story of Clara's parents was enough, then what sort of a community had the Doctor and Clara arrived in? We're constantly reminded of the fact that this society has years and years of history, song, and poetry. Yet, it was never enough to overcome the terror at hand. But thank goodness for the would be strangers with their 900 year old story and dead leaf!

It was also rare to see that Matt Smith's performance as a result of such inept writing. The overly pompous, melodramatic speech was a retread of something we have heard his Doctor and the two before him cry in the face of danger. The only difference here is that the danger was never clearly articulated. This is especially the case since the monster was housed inside a glass cage. Why didn't the gas giant just expand and kill him? Especially since all this took place over the distance of a short hover bike ride.

The episode opened up promising enough. We got a further dose of the Clara mystery with some clues here and there. But, as soon as we return from the opening credits, it was all downhill because so far the promised Doctor/Companion that would deliver something new just hasn't been met. Once again, we see the companion wide eyed, stating she won't let the Doctor fight alone, only to run off and protect the innocent. In all fairness to the episode, it's great to see the Doctor/Clara story move beyond the semantics of introductions. Despite this, the friendship doesn't feel fresh. It's a retread of Rose Tyler.

Then there's the singing. Pointless. Shallow. Did nothing to service the story.

I'm going to stop here because it's just becoming a rant. The truth is, I actually don't know how to cohesively or coherently criticise this episode with any element of linearity because the entire episode just felt disjointed. For every plot device that initiated, a new one was introduced and never entirely resolved. I seriously don't know how to roll this review up into a neat ball because it was just such a mess.

I applaud it for production and the pre-credits.

1 out of 5

V-2 likes this.
  23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Are you sure you weren't watching a re-run of A Town Called Mercy?

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [​IMG]
    All... the... emotions...

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for UK folks - the papers I read today (Mail, Times, Telegraph) had differing start times for next Saturday's episode in their TV sections. Two said 6pm, one said 6:15 PM. So you might want to double-check closer to Saturday.

Edit - I just checked the Sky EPG as well. It says 6PM.