main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    On January 25, 1975, this was broadcast on BBC 1:

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    John Hurt has died. :( Another great actor gone. I honestly didn't see much of him until he was the War Doctor, then started noticing him more in many of his other roles. RIP.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    A week ago I was wishing him Happy Birthday, now I'm posting an In Memorium message. Makes you sad...

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It does, especially with the final War Doctor set from Big Finish out in Feb. Truly, that now really will be the last one.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    RIP, Sir John Hurt.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hope for a Big Finish series with him that's got far better material than what he got!

Nobody145 likes this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The interesting thing about Capaldi was that he was in World War Z as a doctor for the World Health Organization. So, he was a WHO Doctor, before he was Doctor Who. :p

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm hoping for a 13th Doctor who disrupts my current trend of liking nearly all of the Doctors but my favorites all being evens. 2, 4, 8, 10, 12 have managed to hold elevated ranking to me. Ready for that to be shattered.

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm very disappointed about this news. Does anyone think Capaldi might've been forced to step down due to the new showrunner coming in after series 10? Everything I'd heard before today was that he wanted to stay on. Now all of a sudden he's muttering something about "time to move on." I feel like he might have been pressured into it.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I may start watching Doctor Who again with Moffat and Capaldi out.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Here's hoping for a 14th white guy. :p

Rew likes this.
  14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's a shame about Capaldi deciding to leave. He's been the strongest actor in the role since 2005, and he's clearly delighted in every second playing him. I just wish his time as the Doctor had far more good scripts than bad ones.

15. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Well, it had to happen sometime. Let's hope Twelve gets a good, dignified send off. As for his successor, all I'll say is that I hope they go with the best available person.

And, for his finale, no Daleks, please.

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's a shame that Capaldi won't get a series under a new showrunnner (Moffat's just gone too far downhill in the last 2-3 series...), I would have loved to see that.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a feeling that a female Doctor is inevitable now... [face_tired]

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

I think Moffat has produced a couple of gems the last couple of years (Listen and Heaven Sent were glorious episodes), but he definitely has been struggling as show runner. After wrapping up all the plot threads from the Matt Smith-era Moffat has struggled to create a new ongoing story. The finding of Gallifrey ran out of steam very quickly, and last season we were given a half baked myth about some kind of Time Lord hybrid (Although leading viewers to believe that it was connected to the Doctor's human mother was pretty amusing).

I think he should have stepped down as show runner when Matt Smith announced his intention to leave and then maybe have stayed on as a guest writer.

Rew likes this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Another good Doctor gone too soon. A shame we won't get to see Chibnall's take on Capaldi's character because I think too many good opportunities were squandered by Moffat's tired rein over the show. Even worse - the regeneration will happen at Christmas, most likely in a single 60 minute episode that aims to capture the season spirit rather than giving the Doctor a proper send off.

Rew and Ulicus like this.
  19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    They've all been at Christmas with the possible exception of 9 but 10s first episode was at Christmas

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I think that if the announcement of Capaldi's replacement comes sooner rather than later then we can't rule out a regeneration at the end of the main season, given that series 10 is still shooting.

That said, it would be all too easy (By which I mean lazy) for Moffat to do another riff on A Christmas Carol, with Capaldi's darker, grumpier Doctor standing in as the surrogate for Ebenezer Scrooge this time around.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's been inevitable for a pretty long time. Pretty much since the show was brought back and proved successful. People have been speculating about it for decades. Even if the Whoniverse had established it was impossible (and it has done its very best to establish the opposite, recently), it would have still eventually happened to the Doctor in a bizarre quirk of fate.

But I don't think the BBC will allow it for Chibnall's first series.

Frankly, while I'm fine with a woman taking up the role down the line, I'd probably be pretty irritated if it happened before we got a non-white bloke.

Yeah and it's boring. :p

I want an Easter regeneration.

Though maybe that'd be too on the nose.

22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I always thought a mid-series regeneration would be interesting. In the first episode, the Doctor meets a stranger who helps him solve the mystery, but the story is not quite complete - and then later in the series it turns out that the stranger was his next regeneration. The last episode is then the same story as the first, only told from the perspective of the new Doctor, and completing the missing bits from the first episode. :)

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah I'd adore something like that. It would need to be predicated on keeping the casting under wraps, though, and they seem to prefer making a big song and a dance of it these days.

24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

It's an attempt to capitalise on the story before it inevitably leaks. It's hard to keep that kind of thing under wraps when someone manages to grab a photo of the new star on their way to set while dressed in the previous Doctor's clothing. :p

Ulicus likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    True enough. I can still lament the necessity of it, damn it! :p