main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, that was a nice Brexit/Trump metafor. :p

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    So....i'm guessing that

...the monks are the arc for the remainder of the season?

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this may be the first ever time that a Doctor has their best season as their last. I'm really really enjoying this year. Like, borderline Series 3 and 5 enjoying.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah this series continues to kick butt

but did anybody get the feeling that the Monks are basically just running a protection racket here? Like from Monty Python?

V-2 likes this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the simulation has recreated everything , from the beginning of earth's history , which begs the question - wouldn't it predict that the Doctor would figure it out and send himself the email ?

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It's either a simulation or a recreation. If it were a recreation, then Veritas would not exist as that was only in the fake world. So it must be a simulation with the characters having free will.

6. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    actually the Veritas idea made me think of the Monty Python sketch about the joke which is so lethal that everyone who reads it dies .

darthcaedus1138 and halibut like this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Better question is, why would the monks think their threat would work, if their simulation would inevitably show that threats never work on the Doctor and that always saves the day?

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm not really impressed with this season. As far as the current three-parter goes...

...this is, what, the third time the whole "alien race manipulating humanity since the beginning for their own nefarious purposes and no one knows the terrible truth" routine? And that's not including the plotline in the fictitious "Miracle Day" series from "Torchwood", which doesn't exist despite what some may say. And whenever I hear this or any show bring up the whole "secret truth that the Vatican knows and has hidden from everyone since the start of the Church", I just flash back to Mike Myers lecturing on the Pentaverate in "So I Married an Axe Murderer". I mean, aren't we in spoof territory with that, by now?

It's just like they've been rehashing old plotlines and hoping no one notices. Beyond that, doesn't anyone notice that, whenever the Doctor goes into President mode, things always get worse? Or that trusting Missy to do the right thing always backfires? And we still have the Daleks on the way, again. I mean, Peter Capaldi is great, but that only goes so far. And I have the unfortunate feeling that we're looking at another all build-up, no payoff result.

Well, that's my impression, anyway. Feel free to disagree with me. I'm pretty much just waiting to see how Mike, Kevin & Bill do with "The Five Doctors".

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, I agree. The only good thing about this series is that Capaldi finally feels like the Doctor and not merely a sidekick to a companion.

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've begun a long rewatch of all of Doctor Who, from An Unearthly Child to... whichever episode of the show is the latest when I reach that point.

I'm also including K9 and Company, Torchwood, Sarah-Jane Adventures and Class.

I'm just finished Episode 8, The Ambush.

V-2 and soitscometothis like this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    A real shame we couldn't see Capaldi for a bit with Chibnall's Who. Even a mid-season regeneration in Season 11 would have been great.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Doctor Who is kind of a mess this season. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong exactly, but most of the episodes this season just bore me. And yet I loved almost all of S9 with the exception of that horribly disappointing finale. But I was never really bored.

So yeah, a three-part episode with "the monks" (God did I get tired of hearing that phrase) that ends with Bill's mum literally going viral. The whole thing was just very underwhelming.

Looking forward to some new blood in the writing dept. next season!

gezvader28 likes this.
  13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I have really enjoyed the past three episodes. All the disorientation (which I usually don't like) paid off in a quite heartwarming way, and not in the declamatory "I knew all this would happen, by the way." fashion that the last ten years of Dr Who has almost exclusively relied on.

Doctor Who has, at times in this series, actually given me an intense sense of dread that I haven't experienced since I first watched it as a child.

Still only two thirds of the way through the series as well.

I think the unpredicted factor was the Doctor not anticipating that his act of kindness would or should have any material effect, which it did in the manifestation of Bill's mother as part of Bill's psyche, and which the Monks were not compatible with.

14. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm really liking the season so far. The episodes have been a bit darker and less kiddie fare. Still not too hot on Bill yet, but she's not terrible.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've been liking it as well.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think the last episode might be the best of this series. Really liking Bill. And even Missy wasn't so annoying.

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The Pandorica Opens![​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Great episode.

ALPHA CENTAURI OMG AND THEY GOT THE ORIGINAL VOICE ACTRESS BACK! :D

V-2 likes this.
  19. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    "upright crocodiles " was funny .

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Dark Horizons

21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Hmmm....didn't let the gender slip.

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Alan Cumming being a "missed opportunity" makes an absolute mockery of the Michelle Gomez/Missy "controversy".

It's a bit ironic that a prospective Timelord would have a problem with living in Cardiff. It used to be one of the cheapest way to travel back in time.

24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Another "double post" glitch [face_phbbbbt]

Good job with the server switch, by the way. :confused:

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Supposedly an announcement is being made Saturday midnight. Not the new Doctor though, so I've no idea what it's about.