main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    All The Strange, Strange Creatures.
    Rose's theme
    Hologram
    I'm coming to get you
    Doomsday
    Martha's theme
    Dalek from Series 1
    The Dark and Endless Dalek Night
    Several of Amy's theme's.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Got this via Facebook from some fellow MSTies...

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Vale Decem.

The last minute in particular gives me chills (for obvious reasons, given what's happening in the actual episode).

Master_Rebado and Juliet316 like this.
  4. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    ForceSmuggler: The last 15 minutes of Forest of the Dead, from the death of River Song to the exchanges between the Doctor and Donna and finally River's "afterlife", is exquisitely scored. It runs the gamut: heart-rending, melancholy, rousing, and then soothing. It helps that FotD is a Top 5 episode.

Juliet316 and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Greatest Story Never Told. Another good one.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The full version of Blink:

I also love the Cyberman theme in all it's many variations:

7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I see that some of the arguments have now fully shifted over to claiming that a female doctor was always possible and was always considered. The reason why there hasn't been one before is because a woman good enough to play the role was not found, or a quality script or authentic inspiration for a female doctor wasn't there so they decided not to cast a woman on the basis that the scripts would not be of the required quality.

In other words. They can only make quality, artistic decisions when it was a male doctor. Either that or quality of art is not as necessary a consideration when a man plays the part of the Doctor. But when a woman is cast then it must only be for the most immaculately artistic reasons.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002

Song of Freedom (Flying the Earth Home).

9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003

Top 5 you say? I think it's one of Moffat's weakest personally.
    Hmmm perhaps it's time to do another NuWho countdown?!... maybe after Christmas?

In regards to the casting of Jodie Whittaker;
    My initial response to the casting was anger and denial. 36 hours later I have moved on to acceptance.
    I'm not convinced it is necessary and don't understand why the likes of Romana, River, Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter) etc, who are essentially archetypes of The Doctor, are not enough.

But none of that matters, my opinion doesn't matter, and I'm okay with that.

I will say this though; PLEASE JODIE DO MORE THAN 3 SERIES OF THE SHOW!
    I have no concept of just how tiring and demanding being the lead on a show such as DW is so I really don't see why we haven't had someone stick around for longer. It's an arbitrary rule that doesn't need to be adhered to.

10. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    This was posted on the Agony Booth site, and it's a more cynical take on the decision. We'll have to see how accurate it turns out to be.

http://www.agonybooth.com/the-new-doctor-who-the-trials-of-a-timelady-57089

By the way, can anyone find a copy of Tom Baker's resignation announcement from 1981, where he wished the next Doctor, "whoever he or she may be", good luck?

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    How would you define the necessity that determined that men should be cast as the doctor up till this point?

It's not about placating people who want something they shouldn't have with a sort of archetype for the Doctor every few years.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was sincerely just thinking of Baker's resignation letter. It seems to have been in circulation fairly recently but, for the life of me, I cannot recall where. He was incredibly forward thinking when it came to DW.

13. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    On reflection, there honestly shouldn't be much in the way of dissonance. This isn't James Bond we're talking about; the attributes of the character--the principal ones being his compassion and asexuality--should largely render the gender identity issue moot.

Just let Whittaker be the Doctor--who helps people and smiles as s/he does it.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. The commentary should come in service to the story as how *she* now may be perceived differently when attempting to lead/guide/save cultures from different times and eras. She is the Doctor. Her responses to "Hush, now, the men are talking" will be glorious.

Recall how authoritative and tone-setting Romana was in response to demeaning men and then add in that Whittaker is the Doctor, himself herself... and that added gravity is going to make for some marvelous retorts and lessons in female authority.

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I agree that it will be interesting to see how the change is addressed, or even if it's addressed at all. There could be some stories that thoughtfully look at how the Doctor adjusts to being female for the first time in his/her lifespan. Or, they could just do stories according to the usual formula, but sticking with the Doctor's previous view that gender identity isn't all that important. ("That's right, now I'm female. So, let's go stop those Daleks over there.") I just hope they don't go the "Hell Bent" route and treat it as a joke.

16. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    Also, I've been primed for a female Doctor ever since Suranne Jones's indelible performance as Idris (The Doctor's Wife). Here's hoping Whittaker channels a similar idiosyncratic quirkiness and kindness.

Rew likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd... watch that...

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

The show will be a ratings smash in its first week next year - no doubts. I would go as far as saying that the ratings will rival Rose because you will obviously get the contingent of the fans who genuinely wanted a female Doctor watching. You'll then get those who hate the idea watching it either because of their love for the show, the want to see it fail or watching it in the hope their minds will be changed. Finally, slews of newcomers who haven't been into the show will come to see it purely for its own curiosity. It will be a ratings boom. But what happens following say...week 5....we'll see.

But, new producer, new Doctor and, overall, a bold new direction bodes very well for the early weeks of Series 11.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    You'll also get the ones that hated Moffat with a passion and wanted him gone and swore they wouldn't watch until he was gone possibly watching as well

21. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    It would be interesting if they had Whittaker bump into the Roman dude that Capaldi played.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What annoys me is I've seen some say they'll now start watching it having never been interested in it before simply because there's a female Doctor.
    Yet criticize those who have voiced concerns about the gender change from a writing perspective as sexists who are against women in the show.

Surely watching it based solely on the gender of the lead actor is more sexist than worrying about the cast choice because of potential writing issues

23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    For some, the change of gender might induce the writers to get out of their comfort zone and spark some originality

For others, the change is gratuitous and they see gender, whatever it is, as the natural product of quality writing. Putting the cart before the horse precludes the possibility of authentic writing of any quality..

It's no surprise that there's a "damned if..." aspect to all this. It applies to just about everything in a show that is inherently interchangeable and has various people constantly assuming ownership of the narrative.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I haven't watched Doctor Who since the early days of Capaldi. I love Eccleston, Tennant and Smith in the role, and went to see the first Capaldi episode at a local cinema that held a special screening. Unfortunately, I didn't take to Capaldi as the Doctor at all, and I felt that the writing became stale. My interest in the show more or less disappeared. Now, with Whittaker announced as the new Doctor, and with a new showrunner at the helm, I'm very interested in seeing where the show will go. I'll catch up on the Capaldi years before the regeneration, just to 'be there' when the new Doctor arrives.

I'm really excited about this, and I hope Whittaker is a good Doctor. I know she's a good actor (having watched Broadchurch), but so is Capaldi.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think there is a difference between wondering how the writing will play out--whether it will be "Yes, I'm a woman now, and we've got Daleks to kill" or whether there will be a lot of focus on how the Doctor's memories are reflected with the gender change--and dumb crap like "Time travel is for men," "I don't want a Tardis full of bras," "What happens when she gets her period," or "shoving political correctness down our throats." The former is not necessarily sexist, the latter definitely is.

I think people who have never watched Who before and are only getting interested because the Doctor is a woman, probably will not last very long. But people who might have had some interest before, and a female Doctor is just the last push to draw them in? I think it's great.