main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'd imagine something will air on the 50th in place of a confidential episode. Whether it be a small bridge between two different shows on the anniversary night or a one off return on BBC Three, it's just one of those events that will be well documented.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    At first I was annoyed that those kids didn't seem even remotely astounded or phased by the possibility of aliens and time travel... but I guess everything from the RTD era that the cracks deleted got put back at the end of Series 5, didn't it? Makes sense in that context.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not a bad episode - definitely worth a repeat watch on Friday on BBC3.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    One of the best episodes of the season and all people are talking about is the preview? (And we already know that previews have no basis in the quality of an episode)

Going back on what the topic should be "Crimson Horror"

A brilliant episode

No Doctor for the first 15 minutes - Proof that a spin-off series with Vastra et al would work
    Strax - Again he's phenomenal. The scene where he's treated like a child by his "parents", Vastra and Jenny was hysterical
    The Doctor behind the door? Did not see that coming at all
    Some wonderful locations. Looking forward to seeing them

Couple of negatives

The "Tom Tom" thing didn't work for me. But it's a Strax scene, so forgiven :p
    The ending concerns me. Apart from bring more people into it so late in the series, why would the Doctor just drop Clara off and disappear when he still doesn't know who she is? And I agree with the start of what Ulicus said. Their reaction was stupid. As if telling the Dad would matter. And is if Clara could give a toss whether they did. She doesn't care about that job anymore. And a simple "Must be an ancestor" would suffice. I have a bad feeling as to how that will proceed. It's another "Rose's family" begging to happen.

V-2 likes this.
  5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I look forward to the kids at the end of this week's episode ruining it for you.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Breaking News!

There was a new episode of Doctor Who shown tonight!

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Have. Not. Seen. It. Yet. Hence not commenting yet. :p

9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    We... are very different people. :p

I remember liking them all well enough in AGMGTW but, since they've returned, all they've ever managed to do is irritate the crap out of me. Strax in particular. Gosh, I wish he'd stayed dead.

Rosslcopter likes this.
  10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Must have been another one of those posts that got lost in the whole damn 'reset button' debate over last week's episode.[face_monkey]

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Fair enough. No point in debating it. I guess he's kinda like Craig in that you either love him or hate him :)

EDIT: Though you should support a Spin-Off as that would give them less time to appear in Who... :p

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Wait.... there are people out there that hate Craig???!:eek:

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    But... but... I'm indifferent toward Craig. :(

Bah, humbig. Tis money that could be better spent on other things. [face_not_talking]:p

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Shhhhh, don't you worry. No one hates Craig. There are those who think they do, but they are just in denial about their true feelings :)

16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    There's so much Corden in Craig, and his is the sort of character that I try to avoid in real life. In a way my hatred of Craig is a testament to the talents of James Corden the comic actor.

Confidential wasn't as entertaining as Totally Doctor Who, but it was just as lightweight and shamelessly fawning. I don't think either show added any positive value, they were disappointing DVD Extra material at best. Cast and staff interviews were a load of false smiles and insincere praise. Examinations of the set and effects design were superficial and grovelling. The rest was filler. In one episode they did a hard hitting exposé of those unsung heroes of the catering department which I found particularly memorable.

17. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it. It was a fairly good episode. Most of my criticisms/likes have been posted already.

I thought the TomTom thing was cute. I remarked "He sounds like a GPS" before he gave his name, and got a nice chuckle out of that.

Ada was what made most of the episode, IMO.

I also liked that the story started differently, we didn't just get a "TARDIS lands and then action happens".
    The fact the previews/trailers alluded to the typical "adventure" of that nature, and then the episode didn't follow through made me really quite happy.
    I like surprises like that.

The end was strange though. The kids reactions definitely did not click with me.
    I agree with Ulicus that they should have perhaps been more hesistant/doubtful about the time travel.

18. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    As a man who fancies women with winsome smiles, I find Jenna Louise Coleman absolutely adorable. Seriously, her pixie-exuberance is so infectious I'm actually missing Matt Smith's performance.

19. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I thought it was a good episode, I loved Jenny, Madame and Strax. I don't understand how those kids even found those old picture of Clara.

V-2 likes this.
  20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I thought it was a terrible episode. Horribly paced, badly acted, badly over-acted, and just not well written.

Except for Strax. He was the only part I enjoyed.

[​IMG]

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I wasn't sure if it was just me and my major annoyance regarding the show pushing Uninteresting Reptile Woman and Her Uninteresting Same-Sex Interspecies Partner (IN 1890'S ENGLAND BECAUSE THAT'S EXCITING AND A SETTING THE SHOW NEVER COVERS), Plus A Potato Head We Brought Back because Fans Liked Him in that One Episode.

And I don't really know what Olenna Tyrell's motivation was. And I don't understand wtf she was doing. Some people were "rejects," fine. But I don't get what was happening to the others.

Ulicus and Rosslcopter like this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I had a horrible feeling that horse was going to be Susan [face_plain]

Also although it was interesting that Clara saw another version of herself at the end, the most logical thing to assume was that it was simply a place she hadn't visited yet.

23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The human TomTom was what pushed it over the edge for me.

V-2 likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nope, I'm with @Miana and Darth Guy. I really didn't like this episode. There were, as usual, a couple little amusing moments here and there, but they were really few and far between. Terrible episode on the whole. It made no sense, it was way over the top, and it was just way too self-aware. Too many winks, the passing out, the cheekiness... bleh.

I'm not entirely opposed to the notion of it taking 15 minutes for the Doctor to enter an episode. If we have people to care about that we're watching. All throughout The Christmas Invasion, for instance, Ten is awake only intermittently, and that causes a lot of tension. But we already knew Rose really well and cared about her (even though I didn't like her that much the first time around, I still knew a lot about her by that stage and could invest in seeing her try to figure out what to do). But Jenny and Madame Vastra? I don't think I could create a more boring set of substitute protagonists to follow if I tried.

I'm sorry, I know some people evidently love them, but I am 100% with Evan on this. They are incredibly generic. It's just a really surface level "haha they are sharp and smart lesbians and one is a lizard!" That's it. That's literally all we know about either of them, and in all their appearances, it's never gone any deeper. I was so incredibly bored following them around and anxious to find the Doctor (who I knew from the beginning was in that room, I thought that was fairly obvious), not because of the anxiety of really needing him to save the day (as in The Christmas Invasion), but simply to put me out of my misery.

I hate to say it, but I rarely like Gatiss's episodes of Who. I'm sorry, man. I like him as an actor. And I like his episodes of Sherlock just fine, so he clearly can write things that aren't so over the top. But it's like with Who he just turns back to his inner child and evidently his inner child is a total goober who can only make really cheesy things :p

I will disagree with Evan a little in that I do find Strax's humor amusing. I think it's the sort of thing that can be juxtaposed in a number of situations in a funny way. The quote Rachel posted was definitely one part that actually did make me smile. But see, we know Strax's personality and backstory way, way more than the other two. We know his culture, what's expected of them, and how his position as a nurse and now assistant to some other people working with the Doctor undermines that warrior expectation. So as comic relief goes, he can actually have funny moments that come from character-based things we know about. But I still wouldn't want to follow him around for 15 minutes.

And yeah the whole thing with the kids at the end... uuuughhh... awful acting, didn't make sense how anyone even had some of those photos, pointless, silly, over the top, why... just... why?

Worst episode of series 7. Yes, definitely. I guess it had to happen at some point, though, since I've liked every other episode in this series at least to some degree. I'm sure there's going to be at least one episode in each series that I really dislike. I guess it's good that it's this one, not one of the next two (hopefully) :p

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Hey Clara I found that photo of you on a Soviet submarine posing with the captain as though you were on a trip to Disneyland."

Asterix_of_Gaul and Ulicus like this.