Story [Doctor Who/Firefly] The Man With No Name (Now Complete!!!!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Frostfyre, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Disclaimer: I do not own the characters used here, and I?m not making any money off them. I just borrowed them to play for awhile, and I swear I put them back when I was done! :)

Author?s Note: I have several readers over on the site where I originally posted who have never seen either show, and still enjoyed the story. I would humbly suggest here, as I did there, that you do not really have to be familiar with either universe, and you can still get what?s going on. You might not get absolutely every singe in-joke, but those don?t carry the story. :)

In the Serenity 'verse the events of this tale take place about five and a half months post the film Serenity. In the Doctor Who universe, it takes place immediately after the events of "The Runaway Bride" but before the events of "Smith and Jones."

And just so y'all know, my favorite companion of ALL time (old series included) is Donna Noble. She rocks. More than the Sycorax.

Prologue: The Oncoming Storm

?This is me, for forever
    One of the lost ones
    The one without a name
    Without an honest heart as compass?
    ?Nightwish, ?Nemo?

The room isn?t quiet, not really. His ship is never silent, never still?and yet right now it feels silent. It isn?t the first time he?s felt this; he doubts very much it will be the last. Alone again, with only the repairs to his ship and his soul to command his attention. He feels as though half his self has been torn away.

All that knowledge and experience, and he still can?t keep the loneliness at bay. He can?t cheat death for them, or defy fate. He can?t keep the walls between the universes closing, no matter how much he wants to. He can?t stop them fearing him.

He sighs, leans his head back against the control panel base. Dear heaven, he?s getting maudlin in his old age. Much more of this, and he?ll find himself dumped on an ice planet or something, locked out of his own ship until he?s in a proper frame of mind. She?d do that to him; she?s done it before. He hurts, oh yes, and it is by far the worst bit in a very long time?but sitting about moaning isn?t going to save anyone. There?s a whole universe out there, and it wants helping.

And he?s used to being broken.

One of these days, he figured he?d not be surprised to see her sitting in Wash?s chair, though he didn?t anticipate it?d be anytime soon. He?d given up the pretense of official piloting almost immediately, and turned it over to her. The little albatross was bidding fair to be just as good a pilot as Wash was?and without all the fancy schooling. So he let her have the chair, and pretended not to notice that Zoe avoided the bridge. Not like she was getting along real well with any sort of stairs at the moment, anyway.

He edged through the gap between stair rail and console and settled in the co-pilot?s chair. ?Everything clear??

?Clear as crystal.? River?s long brown hair curtained her face as she leaned forward to adjust something on her own panel. ?Clear as water, clear as??

?All right, all right, I get it. No call to ramble on.? Mal propped a foot against the console and reached out to toy with one of the plastic dinosaurs perched on its rim. No one had the heart to pack them away. He doubted they ever would. ?Three days to Persephone, then. And hopefully,? he muttered, ?we ain?t gonna have any trouble.? It was almost a prayer, and the thought brought a wry twist to his mouth. Wouldn?t the Shepherd laugh.

It was a feeble prayer, and one he?d uttered an awful lot these past five months. He didn?t hold much hope of it being answered. ?Things never go smooth? had long since become a personal motto.

A soft noise beside him drew him from his thoughts. River was sitting up straight in her chair, hands motionless on the console, eyes staring wide into the black. Mal frowned. Not the first time he?d seen that look. ?What?s wrong, meimei??

?It?s coming.?

Oh, sweet hopping Buddhas. ?What?s coming? River? Don?t leave me in the dark here, darlin?. Something?s comin?
  2. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh wow. You actually made me do a little "scqueem" at the end of that post. Absolutely love both Firefly and Dr Who so I can't wait to see more of this. Especially since your charactisations seem pretty good from what you've written so far.
  3. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    It seemed, to me, an inevitable combination: the Doctor and the crew of Serenity. Both parties are rebels, and big damn heroes, and both the Doctor and the crew know exactly what it's like to be broken. :)

Chapter One: Unemployed

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on.
    And it makes me wonder.
    ?Led Zeppelin, ?Stairway to Heaven?

Mal wrapped both hands around his mug, taking small comfort in the warmth seeping through the ceramic into his skin. At his elbow, a plate held a protein bar reduced to a pile of crumbles. As midnight snacks went it was pretty pathetic, but it beat lying in his bunk worrying himself to death. Besides, Jayne had gone and run off with the last of the liquor.

Been an awful mixed bag, since Miranda. The Alliance hadn?t exactly plastered up wanted posters of Mal and crew all over the ?verse, but they were making their displeasure felt. Bounty hunters kept popping out every damn place. It was lucky the buhn dahn hunters never could get along and tended to come at their targets in ones or twos, ?stead of a whole damn army. Biggest group had been a baker?s dozen, two months ago. Ambushed the crew outside of a pissant town on Jianying. Mal had just turned River loose on the ung jeong jia ching jien soh and watched her pound ?em all into groaning bruises. Hadn?t even had to waste a bullet. Memory of that still brought a smile to his face. Jayne?d sulked about it for weeks. Still didn?t set well with him, that a ninety-pound girl could kick ass ten times better than he could. Mal found it a bit creepifyin? himself, but it wasn?t about to stop him using her talents to the best advantage. Simon hadn?t spoken to him for days after?a bonus, to Mal?s thinking.

The bounty hunters weren?t the worst of their problems, though. With most of their contacts slaughtered and the survivors more than a bit shy, places where they could park Serenity for a restful spell were mighty scarce. Wasn?t easy to pick up jobs constantly on the move, and even harder to make drops when most businessmen of the sort to deal with men like Mal were leery about doing business with someone shiang jing ping enough to spit in the Alliance?s eye in such a spectacular fashion.. It wasn?t quite general knowledge that Malcolm Reynolds and the crew of Serenity were responsible for blowing Miranda wide open, but word got around. He?d run into plenty of folk who wanted to shake his hand or buy him a drink, but not so many who wanted to hire him for a job. Coin was getting mighty tight; if Badger wouldn?t give them a job on Persephone, they were humped.

And now this thing with River. Just the thought of her pale young face, her wide eyes staring at something no one else could see...Mal rubbed at his forearms, trying to get the hairs to lie back down. Weren?t the first time she?d seen things?and he?d learned to listen, oh, yes?but her seein? things never was good. He?d tried to get her to tell him more, but all she?d say was variations on ?A storm is coming.? Bugged him like hell, and he hadn?t the foggiest what to do about it.

He hadn?t breathed a word to the others about that scary interlude in the bridge. No sense in worrying them when he had nothing but those vague words and a creepy feeling to go on. River hadn?t said anything either?but then, she rarely told her reader-stuff to anyone but him or Inara these days. Usually, he?d talk it out with Zoe, but she had enough on her mind just now and he wasn?t sure he wanted to spring more stress on her. She?d probably hit him, like she had when he told her he was taking her off active duty ?til further notice. ?Course, she?d probably hit him anyway when she found out he hadn?t talked it out with her...

He didn?t know what to do. Well, that wasn?t true. They?d do business as usual, and he hoped to...well, he hoped, anyway. That maybe this oncoming storm would miss them, or that it wouldn?t be so bad. Or that River just got her w
  4. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the PM! This looks like a very promising story. Especially considering I love both Doctor Who and Firefly. I guess SW will show up somewhere, but I don't even need that to be happy.
  5. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nope, no SW at all in this story. Truth to tell, I haven't really done much with the SW 'verse in years, but when Lilith mentioned to me that there was a non-SW fanfic section on tf.n, I came running back. :)
  6. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, so it's all my fault. I see how it is.
  7. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's *always* your fault. I blame you. :D

?How long are we gonna be docked, Cap?n?? Kaylee?s voice was muffled a bit, seeing as she had her head stuck under the mule, tinkering with something Mal was fairly certain he wanted to know nothing about.

?Long as it takes to find work.? He shifted his weight. ?Which gets hard to do when you?re camped under the mule.?

She slid out far enough to beam up at him through a mask of grease. ?Don?t want the mule droppin? on you mid-flight, do you? This model don?t slither so well.?

He sighed, and rubbed the back of his head. ?Fine. How long?s it gonna take??

??Nother hour or so.?

?Might as well walk to Badger?s. Once you get done, you take it and pick up the big stuff, donh ma? I don?t want to haul it all back here by hand. Or try to make Jayne do it.?

?Yes, Cap?n.?

?And don?t take Simon with you. Takes you twice as long to do anything, haulin? him around.?

?He said he was going with you.?

?Ai yah tien ah. Can?t I take River??

?She?s out with Zoe, picking up stuff.?

Stuff. He knew what stuff. Zoe and ?stuff??when had he ever imagined those would be in the same sentence? About never.

?Jayne??

?He said something about seein? a friend, might have a lead on a job.? She reached out, fumbled around for one of the scattered tools. Mal took a guess and nudged it toward her hand.

Jayne?s friend, who might have a ?job.? There was a horrifying thought. Still, so long as it wasn?t too repulsive, Mal figured he wouldn?t sniff at it. Coin was coin. He sighed. ?And no way am I gonna ask ?Nara to go see Badger with me,? he muttered. Simon it was, then, since Kaylee had to stay with the ship. ?You gonna be okay on your own??

?Gu. Zoe ain?t gonna be gone long. She?ll probably be back with River ?fore I?m done with the mule.?

Yeah, and pissed as hell, too. Zoe wasn?t taking too kindly to the fact that she got tired so fast these days. Suddenly, even dragging Simon all over the Eavesdown Docks held more appeal than hanging around for his second to return and take her frustrations out on her superior officer. Wasn?t good for his captain-ly image.

He really, really missed Wash. By rights, he ought to have been the one taking the brunt of all this...Mal pushed aside the sharp stab of sorrow. Weren?t many things in the ?verse he wouldn?t do to bring Zoe?s husband back, but not a one would work. ?Fine. Shiny. When she gets back, tell her she?s got command. I should be back before sunset. I?m gone too long, y?all come and rescue me.?

?Duhn ruhn. Be careful, Cap?n.?

He shuffled down the ramp. ?Be careful.? Seemed everyone said that a lot more than they used to.

Simon was waiting for him half a dozen yards from the ship, looking wary behind his solar lenses. Their relationship was a lot friendlier these days, but neither one of them cared to spend long amounts of time in the other?s exclusive company. River once remarked it was because they were so much alike. Mal figured the horrified expression on Simon?s face at this thought had mirrored his own?but he had a sneaking suspicion that there was more than a bit of truth to the girl?s words. Usually was. Didn?t mean he liked it, and he surely wasn?t going to admit any such resemblance, but now that he wasn?t frettin? all the time about keeping the boy and his sister out of Alliance hands he was starting to notice a certain similarity. It was all manner of disturbing.

?Don?t stand there gawpin?,? he said, brushing past the young doctor. ?Long walk to Badger?s.?

Simon fell into step beside him. ?Kaylee isn?t done with the mule yet??

?No. Some dark haired fella keeps distractin? her when she?s supposed to be working.? Mal shot a sidelong look at Simon out of the corner of his eye and was pleased to note the other man had the good grace to blush.

Simon cleared his throat. ?Uh. So, do you think Badger will want to speak with us??
    Mal squinted against the glare, wondered briefly if he could get away with ste
  8. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    I must say, I really appreciate the translations for the chinese stuff. I really prefer knowing what they're saying.
  9. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nearly all the credit for the Chinese phrases goes to the Serenity RPG core rulebook. :) They have a fantastic glossary in the back. However, one does have to remember to adjust some of the translations for a slightly more family-friendly format...:p
  10. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Loved that exchange between Simon and Mal. You're keeping the characters really true to their... erm... Characters... lol
    Keep the good stuff flowing
  11. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Now, don't be a lurker. I live for feedback! :)

Amusing Doctor quote of the day: "Well, to be fair I did have a couple of gadgets he probably didn't, like a teaspoon and an open mind." - 4th Doctor, "The Creature From the Pit"

Amusing Mal quote of the day: "Well, Jayne, my days of not takin' you seriously are certainly comin' to a middle." - "Our Dear Mrs. Reynolds"

Chapter Two: A Brown Coat

?So you must carry this light into the darkness
    You shall be a star unto the night
    You will find hope alive among the hopeless
    That is your purpose to this life?
    ?The Cruxshadows, ?Sophia?

Around him the ship hums to itself, patiently waiting for him to pull himself together enough to make a decision. He doesn?t want to. Not right now. Instead, he rests his forehead on updrawn knees, and lets recent memory wash over him...

?Trust me!? Wind whipped past him, tearing at his jacket, threatening to tumble him out the door. The prospect of becoming a damp smear on a London motorway was an unpleasantly real possibility.

She glared back at him. ?Is that what you said to her? Your friend, the one you lost? Did she trust you??

He was suddenly breathless, and it wasn?t from the speed. He stared at her in disbelief. She really had no idea how much that hurt. He sucked air past his teeth and forced himself to answer. ?Yes she did. And she is not dead, she is so alive.? He clung to that painful truth, used it to make her see his sincerity. ?Now jump!?

She had. And she?d trusted him, but in the end it made no difference. When it was all over, when she?d stood in the little yard with snow catching in her hair, he?d asked her to come and see the universe, and she shook her head. ?I can?t.?

?But you saw it out there. It?s beautiful.?

?And it?s terrible. That place was flooding and burning, and they were dying and you stood there like?I don?t know. A stranger. And then you made it snow! You scare me to death!?

What could he say to that? She was right; he was terrifying. She tried to be kind. Invited him in to Christmas dinner, even?but he couldn?t face that. That way lay pain, and he had enough of that for the moment. Two bloody universes worth. All he could do was run away. Again.

She?d called him back. God, but she could shout. ?Promise me one thing.?

He?d watched her, waiting.

?Find someone.?

He?d smiled, bitterly. ?I don?t need anyone.?

?Yes, you do. ?Cause sometimes, I think you need someone to stop you.?

And she was right. They usually were, in their blind, stupid ape ways. It was why he loved them all so much.

Because they were magnificent.

And now he is alone again, with Rose?s face, and Donna?s, and all the others dancing before his mind?s eye. The ship is waiting for him. Waiting for instructions, for once, instead of pitching him somewhere he doesn?t expect. She aches for him, he can feel it. They?ve both been through all this so many times...

?Just take me somewhere,? he whispers. ?Somewhere far away. Somewhere I can do some good. Somewhere I can forget, just for a little while.? He buries his face in his hands. ?Please. I don?t care where.?

River could feel it, standing in a pool of sunlight coming in through the shop window. The oncoming storm. She?d told the captain, because he?d be upset if she didn?t, but he couldn?t hide his confusion. Or his fear. She wanted to tell him not to be afraid, not to worry, but she knew he wouldn?t. He was the captain; it was his job to fuss and worry.

It was so close now. She could feel it. A breeze no one else could touch. The smell of rain and ozone. Of passion and vengeance. Compassion. Mercy. Love and wonder and rage, and loneliness enough to fill the ?verse. There was so much of it. Years and years and years. Shattered to pieces, over and over again.

Like her.

She still wasn?t very good at explaining what she saw, what she felt. It was better, now that she was free of Miranda?s awful grasp, but it frustrated her when she couldn?t m
  12. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh yes. You're a frequent updater [face_dancing]
    Two passages really stood out for me in this one:

Wow! I can actually see that happening. Also like how the TARDIS feels his pain. In the series he knows when his ship is hurting, what it wants or needs. It's nice to see that the reverse is also true

I love getting insights into River's mind, when those insights are well written. You give me the double pleasure of many well written insights.
    And I agree entirely, there's no power in the 'Verse could save River if Zoe wanted her dead. Nothing.

13. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Heh. "Give Mal more time to hide before I get back." I love it!
  14. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    River opened her mouth to comment on this, then froze. It was here. It was here. She could feel it like thunder on her skin.

?River? What?s here?? Zoe?s hands, hot on her shoulders.

She wasn?t aware she?d spoken aloud. Have to work on that; it unsettled folk. ?I?m okay,? she said, but her heart wasn?t in it. It felt like a galaxy in her head.

?Nothin? bad, is it??

River forced her eyes to focus on the here-and-now, and not on the riot in her mind. ?No...no, it?s all right. Let?s just walk for a spell, like you said.?

Zoe frowned at her, but didn?t push. That was the best thing about Zoe; she never pushed. ?Just you say something, if we?re heading for trouble. Dohn luh ma??

?I understand.? River grabbed Zoe?s hand, ignoring the other woman?s start of surprise at the contact. ?This way.?

She tried not to drag Zoe like a piece of luggage, but it was hard. Her head was buzzing, sparking, making it hard to concentrate on things like not running flat out with a pregnant woman in tow. Zoe gave up asking questions after the first few minutes, and they wove through the narrow, crowded streets of Eavesdown in relative silence.

They turned a corner, and River stopped dead. A few dozen yards ahead was a bar. It was one Mal avoided, generally, since it was very Alliance friendly and he only went into those kinds of places on U-day or when he felt in need of a brawl, and standing orders kept most of his crew out of them as well.

A crowd was gathered out front, sure sign that something was about to happen or just had. River let go of Zoe?s hand and pushed her way forward. She reached the front of the crowd in time to see a body hurtle through the bar?s holo-window and land on the hard-packed dirt in a tangle of limbs and long brown coat. The body moved, climbing to its feet and resolving into a tall, skinny man with narrow features and huge dark eyes, wearing a pinstriped suit beneath the coat. Thick brown hair stood up from his skull in agitated tufts.

?Well now, that was just rude!? His voice, pitched high with indignation, sounded like a colonist?s off Titan, all Earth-That-Was British?but River knew better. The man staggered back a little, trying to regain his balance while scrubbing both hands through his hair to dislodge dust, leaving it standing almost straight up. ?Here I am, just going in for a friendly chitchat, a little bit of information, and wham! Knocked straight off my feet.? He grinned suddenly, fingering his jaw. ?But that was a hell of a left hook! Who threw it? Come on, now, don?t be shy, it was magnificent!?

The bar entrance disgorged a small group of rough-looking folk. One, a stocky, heavily-muscled woman, stepped forward, jaw set for trouble. She was a full head shorter than the man in the suit, but easily twice as wide. ?You lookin? for another one, browncoat??

He kept his smile, though it was a little wary now. ?Not especially?and what d?you mean ?browncoat??? He glanced down, swaying a bit, and his grin slid into goofy. ?Oh, right. Sorry, didn?t know there was a dress code. You might tell the barman to post a sign.?

The woman scowled. ?You tryin? to be smart, chwen??

?Oh, but I am smart,? he said, all cheerful arrogance. ?Won?t find many smarter in all of creation, not anymore, at any rate. But if you?re asking if I?m trying to be rude, well?I?m sorry. I know I?m rude. I can?t help it, comes with the face and all. And these teeth. If it helps, I didn?t mean to be ru?awk!? He reeled backwards as the woman swung at him again, missing by scant millimeters. ?Hey! I?m not looking for trouble! Not on purpose, anyway...? He swallowed the rest of his sentence as pistols made an appearance, leveled right at him. The crowd melted away in the space of a heartbeat, leaving only River and Zoe. Once guns were shown, everyone suddenly had pressing business elsewhere. ?Always seem to find it, though,? he added softly.

River felt Zoe?s hand come down on her shoulder, pulling her back a little. Shielding, protecting...Riv
  15. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Welcome back! I love your characterizations- they're dead on=D=

Don't forget to PM me with the next post. I have a tendency to wander away if someone doesn't send out a homing beacon

16. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    I can just see Ten's hair standing up and his goofy grin.
  17. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    ]-} A Firefly/DW crossover with some semblance of a plot??? I'm in! :D Great intro scene for the Doctor. I rather feared that coat would get him in trouble should he ever visit the 'verse. (I like that, visit the 'verse! Bit like 'via the void'! ;)) Next thing I'm really looking forward to is Kaylee's first glimpse of the TARDIS. [face_mischief]
  18. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    And what a great grin it is, too! :) I heard a rumor (just a rumor, alas) that David Tennant had expressed interest in the role of Riddler for a third Batman film. Now, all I've heard to date is Johnny Depp, and as brilliant as he'd be, I'd rather see Mr. Tennant as the Riddler!

Amusing Doctor Quote of the Day: 'I scare very, very easily,' said the Doctor. 'Budgies unnerve me. Gerbils
    throw me into a state of panic. Don't even mention rabbits.' - The Eighth Doctor, "City of the Dead"

Amusing Firefly Quote of the Day: Mal: Well, you're holding my mechanic in thrall. And Kaylee, what the hell's goin' on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose? - Mal, "The Train Job"

Chapter Three: The Doctor

?And in the passage
    From the cradle to the grave
    We are born, madly dancing
    Rushing headlong through the
    Crashing of the days
    We run on and on
    Without a backwards glance?
    ?Dan Fogelberg, ?In the Passage?

Badger propped his scuffed shoes on the clutter of his desk and beamed smugly at Mal. ?You been up to some trouble,? he observed. He gave Simon a once over, then ignored him entirely. Didn?t see him as a threat; well, that was understandable.

?Usually am,? replied Mal blandly. ?Keeps life interestin?.? Beside him, and a little behind, Simon shifted uneasily. Mal figured the young doctor was wondering when the bullets were going to start flying and mentally gave him a few points for knowing his captain well enough to hear the edge in his voice.

?Interesting ain?t good for business.?

That was truer than Mal liked, but he wasn?t about to let Badger know it. ?As I recall,? he said, trying hard to keep his voice cool, ?you waved me. Said somethin? about a job. Now, I get the job done, far more often than not?and I recall having a similar discussion with you about this not all that long ago.?

Badger shoved his shabby bowler hat back a bit further on his head and scratched pensively at the stubble on his jaw. ?Yeah, y?did. Still playin? the soldier in a den of thieves, ain?t you? Think it?d get old by now.?

Mal shrugged. ?I?m set in my ways. Now?you got a job for us or not? ?Cause I got a whole mess of things I could be doin.??

The little fence pulled his feet off the desk and stood up. ?I do. Right up your alley, too.? He pulled a flimsy off a pile of documents and held it out. Mal took it, trying hard not to seem too eager.

He scanned it, then looked back up at Badger. ?You go and grow a sense of humor on me, Badger? What the hell is this??

?Jus? what it says. Rich bloke on Paquin?s got ?imself a real live alien?or so he claims. I figure it ain?t but a hoax, like always, but seems plenty of folk are interested in it, and willin? to pay t? ?ave it. And I?m willin? ta offer you twenty percent of the take, if you put it in my hands. That?s about a fortune?and I?m thinkin? you?re in need of some heavy cash about now.? He grinned humorlessly, bad teeth glinting. ?What with the bounty hunters makin? your life difficult an? all.?

Mal glowered. It galled him to no end that a little joo bah jeh like Badger was the one callin? the shots. But coin was coin, and Serenity was in dire need of it. ?And so you figure I?m desperate enough to take a shiang jing job like this??

?Penny for the smart man.? Badger was still grinning. Mal shoved his hands in his coat pockets before the twitching in his fists gave him away. ?You already pulled off a jing chai job on a tight-arse planet like Bellerophon?not to mention Ariel?so I?m sure you can ?andle this one. And if not...? He shrugged

?Yeah. No loss to you. Very human of you, Badger.?

?Business is business, mate. An? t?be honest, I don?t much like you. But you?re good at your job, and that?s all that really matters.?

?Wheel?s still turnin?, Badger.?

?An? you?re still on th? rim.?

Once, just once, he?d like to come out of these meetings with some gorram dignity. He was smarter than Badger, by a long sight, and yet... ?C?mon, Doc,? he said to
  19. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Have I mentioned lately how well you capture the characters? Mal, the Doctor, River, and now Badger. I'm more than a little jealous.

20. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    it comes of obsessively watching Doctor Who and Firefly while writing this. You should have heard the threats from one of my roommates if she heard the Doctor Who theme song ONE MORE TIME...:p
  21. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh c'mon, that's the best! I need to get it for my ring tone....
  22. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Stop that. It's MY ringtone! As soon as I get a phone I can put ringtones on...:p
  23. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    And the Firefly theme, I think... I'll use DW for Ping and FF for you....
  24. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Zoe figured she?d gone crazy. Only explanation as to why she?d allowed a complete stranger to grab her by the hand and haul her around like some stupid hur bao duhn kid. Sure, she hadn?t exactly wanted to get into a shootout with the thugs at the bar?not while six months pregnant, at any rate?but this was downright nuts.

She?d just about decided to put a stop to the insanity, and maybe introduce this brown-coated lunatic to the business end of her fist, when he slowed down and came to a halt all on his own. They were in a blind alley, maybe half a mile from Serenity, Zoe guessed. Pretty unremarkable alley?narrow, full of trash, crumbling walls. There was an odd looking shed at the dead-end, made of wood and painted blue.

The chai neow let go of her hand and sagged back against the wall, grinning and panting like he?d just had the time of his life. ?Well now,? he said. ?That was a bit of fun. Not sure I?d want to do it again, anytime soon, but there?s nothing like a good jog to start off the day.? He squinted at the two women, and his eyes fell on Zoe?s midsection. Eyebrows crawled toward his unruly hair. ?Oh dear. So sorry, I didn?t realize...well, I suppose running can?t hurt much, can it? You very far along? I?d say, oh, about six months or so. Know what it is, yet? Your first? I can tell you??

Sweet Buddha, but not even Wash had babbled this much, and Zoe always figured her man was the best in the ?verse at inane babble. ?Bi jweh,? she snapped.

He shut up, and blinked at her. Then, ?Er...was that Chinese? Not the best accent in the world, mind you, but I?d have sworn you spoke Eng??

?Shut up. Can say it in a number of other languages, too, including fist.? Zoe held one up.

The stranger shut his mouth, though muscles along his jaw twitched like words were still fighting to get out. He eyed her knuckles warily, and nodded.

Zoe eyed him over, trying to get a feel for the sort of threat he might present. Little taller than the Captain. He moved fast, too, fast enough to grab her hand when she didn?t want him to. Might be stronger than that skinny frame suggested?his grip was firm enough. Pale, like he didn?t spend a lot of time outdoors, with a spattering of freckles across nose and cheeks. Sharp features just this side of handsome, but far away from pretty. Longish sideburns and thick, shaggy hair that had a life all its own?reminded her a bit of Wash?s. She ignored the little stab of pain at that thought. Huge eyes, long lashed as a girl?s and dark as her own, with arched eyebrows above them that seemed incapable of holding still. Not very old, maybe thirty four or so. ?Bout her and the Captain?s age. Wearing a tailored brown suit with blue pinstripes. Dark shirt and tie.

He looked unthreatening. A scrawny, soft-living Core resident stupid enough to wear the wrong color coat in the wrong part of the Eavesdown docks. Bit crazy, probably, babbling away like that. What was that word she?d heard River use once about her brother? Nerd. He looked like a nerd.

But something was wrong. Zoe trusted her eyes and her brain, but she trusted her instincts more?and they were insisting that this man was dangerous.

Which made no kind of sense. He wasn?t even armed. That coat was long, but like the suit it was tailored to fit his slim frame quite well?nowhere to hide a weapon.

But he had an odd little tool he?d used with devastating effect back there.

She was damn certain she could lay him out, even out of condition and six months pregnant.

But a little voice in her head suggested that to do so might be a very, very bad idea?though it couldn?t supply reasons why.

There were too many contradictions here, and that made Zoe a mite tetchy. She didn?t like being tetchy. It made the baby kick.

?Who are you?? she demanded.

His Adam?s apple?prominent in that skinny throat?bobbed as he swallowed nervously. ?Uh...can I talk now??

?Long as you keep it short and truthful.?

?Right.? He looked doubtful at the thought. ?I?I?m...well,? he
  25. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I always wondered what would happen if he met up with someone like River. For some reason I think duck & cover might be a good idea in the near future
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.