main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] "hallowed, like ground", Donna, Ten - vignette

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    ?hallowed, like ground?

Genre: Drama, Friendship
    Rating: PG
    Time Frame: Season Four
    Characters: Donna Noble, The Doctor (Ten)

Summary: ?Come on then, I'll make you a cup of tea and find you something to eat ? and I don't mean haggis and whatever else you have lying around the kitchen. It's dangerous looking there.? After a day gone wrong that hit close to home, Donna plays the caretaker.

Notes: So, I recently got my hands on the book of poems called Crush, by the amazing poet Richard Siken, and when I read the poem 'Saying Your Names' I immediately this fic poured from my fingers. It was a lot of fun to write, and I hope that you enjoy it.

A good majority of the italics are taken or paraphrased from that poem ? which is seriously up there with my top ten favorite poems of all time. You should check him out if you haven't already heard of him.

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine but for the words (minus the words that aren't).

[blockquote][i]"hallowed, like ground"
    by Mira_Jade[/i][/blockquote]

The planet Sarvios had very red sunsets.

All encompassing, scarlet on crimson to form a sanguine sight for the eyes, the triple suns glowed like white embers at the center of the evening sky, coating everything in a thick and tangible light. The planet gave one Donna Noble a bad case of the wiles from the start. Even before she knew what lied under the citizen's carefully sightless white eyes and and twinkling, water like voices.

The city was like the Emerald one from the children's movie that had given her nightmares growing up. Only . . . not so emerald. Obviously, whoever had designed the planet had mixed the Emerald City with ruby slippers, and that right there didn't sit well with her from the stop. When her opinions were voiced, the Doctor simply mentioned that there were no flying monkeys ? so there was no reason to be worried.

Afterward, she thinks that she would have preferred the monkeys.

?The peoples of Sarvios see without sight. The red light renders them blind, but on the mental level their psyches are off the chart when it comes to facts and figures. They have a touch of the telepath in them ? the strongest of their Seers can even see your Time as it bends around you. Back, oh, I don't know ? at least three centuries ? is the last time I met a Sarvion. The blasted bugger saw the whole of my Time ? and what do you know? He was right about everything, too.? The Doctor's sing-song voice and quick steps seemed out of place amongst the carefully still planet. Not even the wind blew through the charcoal colored trees. It was as if the whole of the world was frozen, lost to time and her influences.

Ahead of her, ridiculous blue coat glinting in the sordid light, and eyes twinkling, the Doctor had beckoned for her to follow.

And she did.

And now they were walking back the way they came. Only, she was the one leading. And the man behind her was most certainly not jumping. If anything, he held his centuries in his steps, heavy and devoid of feeling or any of the wry whipwire sort of grace that she had come to attribute to him.

She led with determined strides, anxious adrenaline in her veins for a foe she couldn't face. She didn't know how his words had struck to go about repairing the wound that they had inflicted.

?Well, he was a right sort of a whack job if you ask me,? she said onto the empty air, her voice just the right parts scorn and spite with ginger thrown in to twine it together.

Not a blink. Not a nod.

?Seer,? she scoffed the title out, ?I've seen more accurate readings from fortune cookies.?

Not a twitch. Not a grin.

And bugger it all, if there was a reason that she chose to travel with a hyper alien who could jump more than quicksilver; then she very well couldn't let him sulk. Not for too long, anyway.

?Alright,? she turned on her heel, stopping the Doctor's path with her own. ?Obviously something he told you struck close to home. I've got that.?

[i]?Oh, Doctor,

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This is beautiful, Mira. I for one am knocked completely speechless. Well, almost completely speechless, otherwise this review would be composed solely of emoticons going [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_love]@};- .

I love the delicate balance between humour and bittersweetness. Donna was such a good companion; I love her uncovering his memories, and I love the little bits and pieces people leave behind in the TARDIS. Everyone who travels with him leaves their mark in some way.

?It's not mourning, so much as remembering,? the Doctor said softly. ?The only thing worse than remembering is forgetting . . . and I owe them too much to not do that.?

This is the most gorgeous, poignant line of them all. @};-

Really, truly astounding work. =D=

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And great, now my reply may just be a mass of emotes. [face_dancing] [:D] [face_love] :D:D

Donna was a brilliant companion, and it was beautiful to write her diving into Ten's past. All to often, former companions are glossed over too quickly - and you know he has to remember them all. [face_love]

I loved the idea of him passing those stories on - and thus this was born. [face_love]

Thank-you for reading! [:D]

~MJ @};-

4. GlindaForJediCouncil

GlindaForJediCouncil Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2009
    That was a beautiful story... Because of his flippant happy-go-lucky manner, one doesn't always think about how long and lonely the life of the Doctor really is. How many memories he has. How many people he can't forget. Thank you for writing this, I loved it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.