main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Doctor who reminder

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by yoshiki, Mar 30, 2013.

1. yoshiki

yoshiki Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    Just a reminder that new eps of doctor who start tonight.

Also tomorrow night will be the special for the third doctor, Jon Pertwee.
    These specials have been pretty neat giving a retrospective on each doctor then showing a classic episode from that time and it is the full episode not just part one if you know how the old eps used to be done. So you end up with about 45 min. of documentary and then almost 2 hours of episode depending on which one they show. At any rate I've enjoyed the first two so I definitely will be tuning in for this.

2. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Good episode and Jenna-Louise Coleman is awesome :D

3. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    she is just too adorable, which is both good and bad.

4. yoshiki

Aug 21, 2003
    I didn't really care for this episode. I felt it was kinda laking in originality. For once I would like to see a companion join the doctor for a reason other than " oooh I want to travel and see the universe " which seems to be the reason for most of the recent companions. How about something new like " I'm on the run from the law having been unjustly accused of ( or framed for ) being a serial killer " so they have to disappear for awhile. Only to find out latter that they really are a serial killer. Oh no look out doctor she has a knife.

So for my part not much to recommend in this episode.

As for the John Pertwee special. I found that really enjoyable and "spearhead from space" was a good episode to show. Odd coincidence ( maybe ) that I didn't think of before but we have the third doctor showing up in his first episode fighting the autons ( Nestenes ). Now 3x3 is 9 and guess what, in the first episode ( Rose ) featuring the 9th doctor we have him fighting the Nestenes again.

5. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Saw the new episode at WonderCon on Friday night. There was such a line for the viewing that the panel host stated they would ask if people would clear the room so they could to another showing for those who didn't get in. I thought that was nice.

6. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    The Rings of Akhaten tonight [face_alien]

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Uggg, the Brits have already seen it so I'm avoiding facebook and all of Doctor Who friends right now.

8. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    yeah, same here...fb came really close to spoiling it for me...

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I enjoyed the first half, but then it just sorta started unraveling halfway through it.

The Doctor's monologue was pretty freaking epic, though.

10. yoshiki

Aug 21, 2003
    Again I wasn't impressed with this ep. It was ok but not great, I guess it was better than anything else on at the time but I wouldn't have wanted to give up doing something else to watch it.

I think maybe I just don't like this incarnation of the doctor.

11. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    How in the name of the Vorlon empire did they drive that motorbike-spacecar-thing through space without a life support suit or some kind of forcefield generated by the tardis or something else, and survive without being frozen in the cold airless vacuum of space?

12. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    it could be that these rings have their own atmosphere. or the moped makes an atmosphere. clearly those rimg rocks with the bazaar and the pyramid have their own air as well.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
  14. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Sean: "Hey mom, if he destroyed that planet thing wouldn't all the rings fly out into space since there isn't a gravitational field to hold them?"
    Me: "Shut up."

DarthBrian likes this.
  15. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff?

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Anyone else think yesterday's episode sucked?

17. Lord_Dubi

Sep 3, 2012
    a few of them were not that good lately...

18. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    If you're talking about the Madam Vastra and Jenny episode, no, it was awesome. ^_^

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It was so poorly written, badly overacted, had horrible jokes, terrible pacing, and just didn't flow at all.

But Strax was awesome.

[​IMG]

20. yoshiki

Aug 21, 2003
    Out of the recent episodes I think I enjoyed this one the most but thats not saying much as the others were really weak.

"poorly written, badly overacted, had horrible jokes, terrible pacing" this pretty much sums up this whole season.

I am not looking forward to the next ep where we now get kids in space. uhm yay.

On a brighter note I'm wrapping up the Peter Davison run of classic Who. I always liked his version of the doc.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    But Gaiman wrote next week. That's the only plus.

22. yoshiki

Aug 21, 2003
    Only if your a Gaiman fan. Which I'm not.