main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON Doctor Who Season 3

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Oh happy day!!!!

Doctor Who, starring David Tennant and Freema Agyeman, returns on 31 March 2007

2. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    And even better news is that Tennant signed on for another season after this one! :)

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Fun first episode, I must say.

4. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    I was a little disappointed with the 3rd season opener. Rino-alien? (I guess I forget that it is really a kids sci-fi show).

Compaired to "The Imposible Planet and The Satan Pit" from last season it was not up to snuff.

It was ok tho. Compairable to this past seasons Christmas Special, "The Runnaway Bride".

I miss Rose too. This new companion has come BIG shoes to fill to win me over. But she is ok...so far.

All in all....It was still a passing grade for me.

5. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Watched the 2nd ep.

These historical romps all feel similar. Hard to explain, but as with the ep with Dickens and Queen Victoria, there seems to be a wall that the writer is trying to avoid hitting, and it gives the scripts a more closed in feel.

Three Harry Potter references as well! Still haven't read the books though.

The final bit was interesting. Will we see the Dr removing the arrow from the door of the Tardis at the beginning of the next episode? He seems to like pissing off British queens as well. Maybe its a set up for an episode set in Buckingham Palace! :p

6. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
  7. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Yes the second was MUCH better and Martha is growing on me fast.

The Harry Potter references were way to funny.

Now I wonder how long we have to wait to see Captain Jack? (for those of us that watched Torchwood)

8. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Way cool...found out some spoilers.

Utopia...an episode of...Doctor Who...will be broadcast on 9 June 2007, and is the eleventh episode of Series 3. This episode sees the return of Jack Harkness, and the introduction of a character called The Professor, played by Derek Jacobi. The Daily Mirror reports that Jacobi's character will be "a 'good guy'" who "plays a key role in preventing the world from ending."

Martha Jones meets Captain Jack Harkness for the first time, as the TARDIS hurtles towards the planet Malcassairo where a desperate Professor is trying to save his people from extinction.

Captain Jack was last seen at the end of the Torchwood episode End of Days looking off-screen while the familiar sounds of a TARDIS are heard in the background. This may imply that Jack boarded the TARDIS at the end of Blink, or at the start of Utopia.

The Sun has reported that the Professor (Sir Derek Jacobi) is the Master in disguise, and that this will be revealed when he regenerates. The Sun has also reported that John Simm (who is in the succeeding two episodes) will be playing the Master.

9. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I was reading briefly about the Master earlier today (I only recently started watching the series) and wondered when he would show up.

I am intrigued by the title for the finale of season 3, Last of the Time Lords, and I wonder if this has some connection with the Master. I also wondered about the world that Rose and Co. are now stuck in. If it IS a parallel dimension could there not also be parallel timelords who might still have the means to cross dimensions. The Doctor says that they are all dead but he also lacks the means to jump dimensions. If the Daleks survive numerous destructions I wonder if the timelords were also capable.

Furthermore, I am just now going back and watching the older episodes from the beginning (Starting in 1963). I had read that the Doctor left his granddaughter somewhere after she fell in love with a soldier. I know he says that all his family is gone, but has there been a definative answer about her (is she still alive?). I know the doctor says these things can't happen but how many times has the impossible been proven possible.

10. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Susan is the granddaughter and a companion of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. Her last name of Foreman is an alias taken from the junkyard, owned by an "I.M. Foreman", at 76 Totter's Lane where she and the Doctor lived during their time in London in 1963. The original outline for the series did not intend for the pair to be related, but writer Anthony Coburn created the family tie as he was disturbed by the possible sexual connotations of an old man travelling alone with a teenage girl.

The Doctor explains in "An Unearthly Child" (the very first episode of Doctor Who and the title generally used for the first four-part serial) that he and Susan are exiles from their own people. Susan adds, "I was born in another time, on another world" (presumably Gallifrey). Susan claims to have coined the name for the TARDIS, the Doctor's time machine, though later episodes seemed to indicate that it was a widely used term among Time Lords. (The unbroadcast pilot version of "An Unearthly Child" contained different dialogue including a statement that Susan was born in the 49th century.) It is not known if Susan is the character's real name, or another alias to make her appear more human.

Susan's age is given as 15, although given the longevity of Time Lords, it is also not known if this is her actual age. In The Sensorites (1964), the Doctor, when encountering an unconscious young human woman, remarks that "she's only a few years older than Susan," suggesting that Susan is the age of a normal secondary school student.

The Doctor and Susan have been already travelling for a time before they decide to settle in London to make repairs on the TARDIS; evidently this has taken longer than expected, as Susan states that she and her grandfather have been in London for five months. Susan begins to attend the Coal Hill School in Shoreditch, where her advanced knowledge of history and science attract the attention of schoolteachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright.

Susan continues to travel with the Doctor and her two teachers until the 1964 serial, The Dalek Invasion of Earth. During the events of that story, Susan falls in love with David Campbell, a freedom fighter in the 22nd century. However, Susan feels that she has to stay with and take care of her grandfather. The Doctor, realising that Susan is now a grown woman and deserves a future away from him, locks her out of the TARDIS and leaves after a tearful farewell. Carole Ann Ford had expressed a desire to leave the series as she felt the character of Susan was too limiting. Ford reprised the role of Susan on television in the 20th anniversary special The Five Doctors (1983), but no mention of David, or what became of him, was made.

In The Curse of Fenric (1989), the Seventh Doctor states that he does not know if he has any family, which may indicate uncertainty of Susan's whereabouts. In 2005's The End of the World the Ninth Doctor states that his homeworld has been destroyed and that he was the last of the Time Lords. Whether this includes Susan, however, is uncertain, although in Father's Day the Doctor says his "whole family" died, and in The Empty Child some dialogue implies that he is no longer a father or grandfather. In Fear Her, the Tenth Doctor states he "was a Dad once", but does not elaborate further.

Oh and in the last eppy of Season 3 The Doctor says he also had a brother.

All this info is on wikipedia

11. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Just watched Gridlock. Another really good eppy. The addition of an emotional side to The Doctor has really given the show a far greater appeal to me. He pulls you right in, wanting to hear all of his heartache and pain.

Next week....Daleks!!! :)

12. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Yes that was an especially good episode.

Had lots of humour. Loved the kittens, oh so cute.

Also the final words of the Face of Boe had a very ESB Vader-like effect, if you know what I mean.

13. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Oh and just for fun...

[image=http://dragobit.com/cat3.jpg]

14. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Great to hear that the Doctor may not be alone as we thought. This revelation, the Master Spoiler and the title to the last Epi have me wondering if they are connected (seems likely)...my question is "How?"

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Just Watched "Dalek in Manhattan" and all I have to say is OMG Dalek Hybrid!!

And nice to see "Captain Panaka" still getting work. :D

16. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    OK, as the official nitpicker, I must point out that the Statue of Liberty had the wrong torch. Thats the current one. In 1930 it was glass with a metal frame and lit from inside.

While its nice to see such racial integration in the series, its seriously out of place in the timeframe of the story as well.

I know, I know, its only a story....

That said, it was definitely a good Dalek story, and can't wait to see the conclusion.

As a thought, I kept thinking of the Leonard Cohen song First we take Manhattan:

"First we take Manhattan. Then we take Berlin."

How about the Daleks in 1933 Germany for a story line. This episode shows they like people with lots of ambition.

17. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    and then there was one...

18. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Lazurus was another good one, but I especially liked the sneak peek trailer for the rest of the season!

19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Any idea who the guy who kept trying to talk to Martha's mother was? at first I thought it would be another Torchwood employee. But based on the fact that they don't resolve the story I am wondering if its the Master.

20. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    It was one of Saxon's goons... now who Saxon is.. thats the question...

21. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    That's not a hard question. John Sims has already said who he's playing.

22. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    BTW no epi this week. BBC is showing something else. Thats why they had the extended trailer at the end of last week's epi rather then a tease for the next epi.

23. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    They're playing Soccer instead.
    Grr.

24. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    So? Whats the verdict of Human Nature?

I think its one of the best and most interesting episodes of the entire new series. So many aha! and what? moments all strung together in quick succession.

25. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.