main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The new console room is fantastic. Thoughts:
    It would be great to see more of this theme ('Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS', anyone? :D ) The simplicity appeals to me. IMO all the best console rooms have been the simplest. The current (just about) console room is great, but also too complex. Too fiddly. Too much going on, or too much that could go on. It's also far too heavily influenced by the Earth. A theme built on the fly as she crashed. This new one looks and feels like something constructed on Gallifrey, or at least a theme that's been on her database since the beginning. Something pre-installed. :p As others have said, as we near the 50th anniversary it's lovely to have a classic looking console room, but it's even lovelier to have one that feels truly Gallifreyan... that feels like a place a Time Lord would call home. To me it is both of those things. It looks like it might be smaller, too. Again, big improvement. The steps behind the console will lead somewhere, I'm sure, but I hope that scenes in the console room will gain a sense of intimacy / closeness that's been lacking for some time. Love it to bits.

The only things that don't quite work for me are the illuminated blue circles, but I'm sure they will look fine when we see the console room in action.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    More space cuckoos on the adventure calendar...

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Short preview clip:

halibut likes this.
  4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Is that a distorted version of "Tick Tock Goes the Clock" in the background? :confused:

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Matt Smith makes a WONDERFUL Scrooge.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think I did hear a small bit "Tick Tock" in the background.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    another general BBC Christmas trailer. The spot in 0.11 set me off laughing.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's possibly the best one second in the history of Christmas TV trailers! :D

Juliet316, Mar17swgirl and halibut like this.
  9. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Doctor Who: William Shatner for The Master?
    [face_laugh]

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Loved the clip.

As far as the new Tardis interior goes, I like it, except NOT ENOUGH ROUNDELS!
    Seriously, it's not the Tardis without lots of roundels on the walls.

Random Comments likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, if Shatner wants a guest spot on Who, my Trekkie heart would have no problem with that. Just, please Moff, keep him far far away from the role of the Master.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Shatner would make a great hammy master. Unfortunately, that's not where they'll want to take the character.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    From the ten teasers - Everton should like this....

Long-time Who fans will love the new title sequence - guaranteed.

Everton likes this.
  14. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    The new TARDIS interior is terrific, still reminiscent of more recent looks, while being evocative of Classic Who designs. I'm also intrigued by the Doctor's new attire; definitely seems to be hearkening back to the dress sense of Classic Doctors.....a sign of the upcoming 50th Anniversary, perhaps?

15. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    All you really need to know about them is that the green, scaly one is a Silurian who was woken up from her sleep of millions of years, and now fights crime in Victorian London with her housemaid Jenny. Oh, and they're both lesbians. The Sontaran guy is apparently the same one as was in A Good Man Goes to War, though I'm unsure how he can be there, seeing as how he died in that episode....

16. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Oh, yes, the Cracks in Time. That's apparently supposed to explain any inconsistencies between the current era and everything pre-Moffat. Personally, I dislike the idea of negating anything from series 2 to 4 of the new show; it makes everything too confusing.

17. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I hope they don't show anything too explicit occurring between Vastra and Jenny; that would just reek of cheap titillation and box-ticking to me. It was for this reason that I disliked the end scene of Flesh & Stone in series 5, where Amy started pawing at the Doctor and forcing her tongue into his mouth.

18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Again, it's a bit rich to put RTD's writing on a pedestal when he didn't offer any explanation at all for ignoring what came before. At least Moffat tried to explain why companions are shocked by the existence of aliens after the millionth alien invasion in recent history (And no, I don't count "I was scuba diving at the time" as an explanation). Jeez before the crack in time you would have to wonder why anyone would be surprised by alien life after a giant cyberman tore down most of Victorian London. :rolleyes:

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't even want to think about it, just in case I jinx it. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  20. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    But the current team's explanation for why so many people don't remember those alien attacks amounts to them now never having happened, due to the Cracks, and I just find it a bit lazy, contrived and unsatisfying. Plus it would hugely mess up the lives of several of the Doctor's more recent companions, e.g. Martha and Donna.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    OMG, the cracks don't mean that none of the alien invasions happened! Moffat put that line there just to cover the most glaring plot holes of the RTD era (and some of the Classic era, too, come to think of it).

darthcaedus1138 and Chewgumma like this.
  22. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Damn, I don't know about anyone else here, but I can't get over how gorgeous Jenna looks in this episode.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Too be fair, A)Martha acknowledged it (and for those who watch Torchwood, Gwen mentioned that Rhys thought they had put hallucingens in the water as a way for her to dismiss somewhat the Events of Doomsday while still acknowledging they happen) and B) RTD had Donna drunk during a good chunk of the alien invasions in New!Who)

For me though, I take go for the Sunnydale theory: That London is for all intents and purposes, an alien Hellmouth: It's populauce acknowledges the aliens as they events are happening and then go back to happily denying them in their heads when it's all over and seeking some much more seemingly rational explanation for things (such as Gwen and the hallucinagens)

24. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I particularly like the dropped line about the Cyber King walking through Victorian London.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah. If I had to pick one thing the cracks could erase it would be that ****ing Cyber King. What an awful, awful thing. RTD was prone to bouts of idiocy, but that was on a whole other level.

Chewgumma and darthcaedus1138 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.