main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Rewatched Asylum of the Daleks. One of my favorite episodes. Matt Smith is brilliant throughout, the analysis of the Dalek-Doctor relationship is fascinating, and Jenna Louise-Coleman shines as Oswin. Really, this is quite a winner, with perhaps the only negative being the quick divorce and reunion of Amy and Rory.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, if I had one complaint about that first half of S7, it was how Amy and Rory were broken up and quickly put back together, As I mentioned here (or perhaps on the Temp Boards, I don't exactly remember and I don't want to end up logging myself out just to go and double check the temp boards if it's not here), I definitely get where Amy was coming from in breaking up with Rory, but I didn't get Rory seemingly giving up on their marriage so seemingly easily, and I would have liked it to have been stretched out at least a little bit longer (or perhaps had it covered in Pond Life) to see how Rory got to that point. I didn't mind the quick making up, but I would have liked to explore how things had gotten to the point where Rory was serving Amy divorce papers a bit more.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Fun fact: Toby Jones is the voice of Dobby in Harry Potter.

Fun fact 2: Vincent and the Doctor is overrated

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Nooooooo! :p

I will watch it tonight, actually. It has been a while and I did think about it before Vincent came calling.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Is not!!!

6. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    #1. We can agree on this fact.

#2. I'm so, so sorry.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Fun fact 3: 'Closing Time' is indescribably awful. Just horrible. Dreadful.

halibut likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    You were funnier when you were single.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    With claims like this one, he might be again.

halibut likes this.
  11. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    lol let Everton know just how wrong he is.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No one hates on Semisonic.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I pretty much agree with him that doing a new continuity would be insulting to the show. This isn't a ST situation. Had NuWho never happened, it would have made sense to try to do a new Trek style film now. But NuWho is good, it's fun, it's popular, and it should definitely take precedence. If you could do just an in continuity film it would be great. But it would be a tough sell to American investors.

I don't know. I think it will happen eventually and I think it will most likely be a reboot. Which is tough because, while you could make a good film that way theoretically, conflicting with the continuity of a show that's still on is way different from creating an alternate universe for a show that aired in 1967 as with ST.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's not entirely impossible, as X-Files managed to do a good in continuity film while the show was still going, but yeah it would be a very tough sell.

If you were going to do it, it would make sense to do it now or soon is as A)the 50th anniverary is coming up B)it would make the most sense using the current Doctor, which is Matt which leads to C)Who's at an all time high in terms of it's popularity globally a good chunk of it is, admittedly, do to Smith in the role at present.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I need to say (again) that the ending to 'Vincent and The Doctor' is just awesome. It's enough to convince me I don't need to see Bill Nighy in Doctor Who ever again. Every moment he's on screen is brilliant ("bow ties are cool"), but the speech he gives at the end about Van Gogh's work / impact, coupled with Tony Curran's perfectly pitched reaction.... it's just a perfect moment. Nighy's a brilliant actor and would grace Doctor Who if he chose or was chosen for a bigger role someday, but if he never makes another contribution to the canon his short time as Dr. Black is more than enough for me.

Also, nearer to the end this line from The Doctor to Amy, "I wouldn't say that. The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things but vice versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. And, we definitely added to his pile of good things." Beautiful line, and magical delivery from Matt. Ultimately it's what we all hope to do, or do for each other... add to the good pile. :)

16. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I think Vincent and the Doctor is the best episode of Series 5, probably one of the best stories of the Moffat era so far.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Went to an Xmas party tonight with my new theatre group, and someone came who was in Torchwood. She refused to have her picture taken with me. "Random Shoes" is now ruined for me.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Chewgumma likes this.
  19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    You forgot to mention The Big Yin. :p

And Matt, why are you so adorable?

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I know isn't he though.

also BBCA preview clip featuring Moffat, Matt and JLC talking about the episode:

Chewgumma, the Sontaran Christmas Carol vid is blocked to US people.

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Hopefully the youtube bots haven't gotten around to locking this one yet

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think in this case it was more BBC reigon locking their version. Poopyheads.

Saw this one, giggled and oh look,
    Is that the new TARDIS interior I perchance to see?

Chewgumma likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Tee hee.

[​IMG]

Makes me wish we'd had a special on Friday.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *right click; save*

You know, I was wondering why Moff didn't base the Christmas special around the Mayan Apocalypse this year, or, if he was afraid doing that would take away from JLC's debut, focus one of Amy and Rory's last eps around it. Or at least provide a passive hint that the Doctor averted it. It would have been such a timely thing to tackle.

Too bad the more rabid fans forced him off Twitter, denying us the chance to ask him about that.

You know, I think in my head canon, the Mayan apocalypse was averted sometime between Dinosaurs on a Spaceship to just prior to Angels Take Manhattan.

Edit: One last thought. I could hear Eleven/Matt saying those words pitch perfectly in that Macro.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What's this rumor I've been hearing about a Troughton look - alike being on the set of the S7 finale?

Edit: While I'm at it, I found another Matt interview apparently done on Tuesday. I think spoilers are a gimmie, so hit play on the YouTube at your own risk:

And a radio interview with Matt and Jenna:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.