main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm closing my eyes against spoilers (again FLUK VERIZON!), however THIS came across my Twitter feed:

[​IMG]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Gotta agree with halibut - I loved it! If I dream of psychotic snowmen tonight I know 'who' to blame!

And for those in the UK, it's repeated on BBC3 tomorrow night from 8-9PM, followed by one of the better versions of A Christmas Carol from 9-10:30 PM. It's the animated one with Jim Carrey. It was shown yesterday on BBC1, but It's worth catching if you missed it and get BBC3. I'll probably just record both and watch on Thursday as the weather is supposed to be crappy here anyway.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just to say again, the opening credits are freaking awesome. I'm not an "old-who" fan by any stretch, but from a musical perspective, it was the best re-working of the original I've heard to date.

Bring on the next episodes!

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a very good episode.
    I like the new opening although I wish they had altered the theme more instead of slightly modifying what Smith alreay had.

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed it! Amazing episode! :D
    The new theme was great, I loved how they added Matt's face in there for that little bit.

Clara is definitely different, but she pulls it off. I enjoyed her performance much more than I expected. She honestly was one of the best companions so far, I'm eagerly very impatiently waiting for the next set of episodes.

The little Sherlock homage in there was great too. The Welcome To London theme in the background!

Honestly, there's so much too compliment that I'd be here for hours. The script was incredible, the scenes were near perfection. It had a perfect balance too, not too much crammed into the time allowed.

Random Comments and Souderwan like this.
  6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Best. Christmas special. Ever. Can't wait to see more of Clara and find out what connects her to this and Asylum of the Daleks (Talking of which, did anyone notice how Clara's birthdate is November 23rd? Coincidence, red herring or plot device?[face_thinking]) . I love the new Tardis, even though the rotating cogs strike me as a little bit much. The time rotor is fine as it is, you don't have to add to it. And huzzah for the return of star fields and the Doctor's face in the opening titles! [face_party]

7. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Simply put: sooo good :D

Loved when he looked in the mirror and realized he had put his bowtie back on

And Clara? :eek: Definitely one of the most interesting companions yet

edit:
    Is this the same Great Intelligence from The Abominable Snowmen?

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Haven't seen the Christmas Special yet (again, Fluk Verizon), but I come bearing the gift of Tennant (no spoilers, though he was asked THE Question):

9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I loved it. The Doctor has successfully added yet another innocuous thing into the "incredibly creepy" category. Bravo.

Juliet316 and Admiral_Volshe like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes, it's implied that this is a prequel of sorts to The Abominable Snowmen and Web of Fear.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, I'm going to not post stuff under spoiler tags because I thought we'd established that we don't once it's aired in the UK. And I don't want to keep clicking spoiler tags for this ep because I don't want to see spoilers for future eps mixed in. I definitely made sure to stop short of seeing what I assume was the standard 'and here's a preview of the whole series that gives away a ton of stuff!' bit :p

So anyway, comments on the ep ahead....

Loved it! The plot stuff was a bit confused and underwhelming ultimately (the threat just sort of disappeared and never really seemed to be a genuine, really serious and clarified threat). However the real focus of this ep was obviously on the characters. And I'm always a fan of that. JLC (and the writers) delivered again. I thought Clara was awesome, the whole thing of her taking HIS hand and telling him to run and him being dumbfounded with that really said it all. I was very much hoping from Asylum that this is what it would be like.

I'd actually been wondering since about 20 minutes into the ep if we were going to wind up seeing JLC playing incarnations of the same woman in different time periods. Very interesting. And the November 23rd birthday definitely seems like it could lead to something. I think anyone who was worrying about this series not being very serialized won't have to worry about that here in the second half of the series.

The only thing I wasn't quite sure about was Clara kissing and hitting on the Doctor. I mean, Oswin flirted with him in Asylum, and it happens. But his reaction wasn't entirely outright rejecting her here and it makes me wonder if the losses he's suffered at this point aren't just Amy and Rory. I'm kind of wondering if River's gone by now as well. We'll see. I hope she appears in the 50th either way.

Now, the other things.... the new TARDIS! Or should we say the old TARDIS? I definitely loved the previous one, but c'mon, for the 50th this is pretty great.

The new opening credits... I agree that I thought the music would be a bit more of a departure from the other Smith theme, but alas. It doesn't really matter because I was just so stoked about all the callbacks to Classic Who intros. And I mean, can we all please just give a HELL YES for MATT SMITH'S FACE? :D

Anyway, on the whole I really loved this episode for the interaction with Clara and the Doctor, and all the promises of things to come.

Oh yes, and the Sherlock references were awesome. My brother and I were cracking up at the music. And the Doctor's awful deductions :p

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Doctor's new companion:

[​IMG]

13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Rory?

Mar17swgirl and Souderwan like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I started wondering as Clara was dragged out of the TARDIS if she was going to wind up being a different person dying in every episode :p I don't know if it'll go quite that far, but hey, I wouldn't put it beyond Moffat either.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know this is a DP now but I just had to say... Winter is Coming. lol

darthcaedus1138 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I wasn't expecting Clara to be connected to Oswald the Dalek IU, just the same actor playing two different characters (much like how Karen played that other charcater before playing Amy), so I really loved that. Lot's to enjoy here, the Doctor's bowtie "cool" scene, the new theme and Tardis, and the return of the Vastra from what seems like a long time.
    Loved it, especially after last year's disappointment.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For UK fans, Royal Mail will be issuing stamps in 2013 to honor the 50th anniversary. Story and some pics here on BBC News.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Royal Mail - Britain's very own time machine. You post a letter one day, and it instantly disappears only to resurface in the middle of the following week.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    According to The Office, these can be used as currency. Now I want to go to the UK and pay three David Tennants for a sandwich.

Random Comments likes this.
  20. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Well I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed The Snowmen, but it is my least favourite of the Eleventh Doctor's Christmas episodes. Yes sincerely. There were some fun moments but overall I was rather underwhelmed.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Is it just me, or did anybody else call bovine feces on the part where Clara changed into her governess dress in that carriage? I mean, c'mon, Victorian clothing like that was complicated to put on, especially if she was wearing a corset or the like. We knew she was wearing a bustle, which must must've been a heck of a thing to put on just by herself in such a confined place. Just saying, is all.

Also, does anyone else think this should've been called "Doctor Who Versus The Killer Monster Snowgoons"?

22. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003

TARDIS gingerbread house!

23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You should demand they show us how it was done!

24. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Also, I probably should have watched this while less sick because I seriously had to go rewatch the intro to see this Matt Smith's face thing.

I didn't even realize it wasn't a time vortex :(

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    That was a pretty godawful episode, minus the ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.