main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I hope hope hope hope that Pond isn't a romantic interest. Rose was bad enough, she was what, late teens, early twenties? It gives me serious pedo vibes to see them try and put sexual tension between companions and the 900+ year old Doctor.

Scummy

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I c wut u did thar.

The five endings kind of reminded me of Return of the King. It was nice that the Doctor cared enough to rescue Martha and Mickey, but did he really need to make THAT many visits to people? :p

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    You never checked the promo?

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    There are absolutely zero romantic vibes at all in the promo.

He does seem a bit more violent this time around, though. Hopefully that doesn't detract from the clever.

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    River falls on him and the companion kisses him.

Son of a - Only one post per 60 seconds allowed. Please wait 21 seconds.

EDIT: This is Steven Moffat. Love and sex can he assumed.

6. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It's not like romance has ever been limited to the companion.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So is this now the official YJCC Doctor Who thread? :p

I really liked The End Of Time. There were some cringeworthy moments, but overall I enjoyed it, especially the Master helping out the Doctor in the end. And there was some spectacular acting from David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins.

And I'm already hyped up for Series 5 and already loving the eleventh Doctor. :D When he says "Trust me. I'm the Doctor." in the promo, I swear I hear something of Jon Pertwee in his voice. I wonder whether Eleven is going to be a bit like Three, all James Bond-y, punching people and shooting guns.

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I think they were trying to make him look like that, but he looks pretty shocked that he punched that guy in the promo.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Maybe he was surprised he still had it in him. :p

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I like Pertwee, so I'd be happy if Smith was like him, especially as we've never revisited that aspect of the Doctor - the very straight, dignified (in intention, if not in fact) action man; however, I think Moffat won't be able to stay away from the more humorous, Baker-like, aspect.

I do hope they do give him some leeway in terms of costume - I hate it when it looks like the Doctor only owns one set of clothes. Pertwee and Tom Baker got to change their outfits, though always to a similar style, and I think Smith should get the same freedom.

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I think even Tennant had a couple different suits, ties, and trainers.

As for the finale, I thought that though it succumbed to basically everyone Russel T. Daviesism in the book, the emotional beats were all there and the end of the Tenth Doctor was quite moving. At the same time, I'm very excited for the 11th Doctor and for Moffat's run on the series.

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Tennant had two suits (brown and blue) and a tux for black tie events, with a few different shirt/tie combos, but he only ever had the white trainers unless he was in the tuxedo.

13. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Huh. I was almost certain he had red trainers at one point. I think in combination with the blue suit. Could be wrong though.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You're right.

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Though I have a huge list of criticisms of RTD's tenure, one thing I can say for him was that he never saddled his Doctors with the annoying question-mark motif.

16. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Hey now, the 7th Doctor's Question Mark Sweater was awesome.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I actually liked Ten's "geek chick" outfit very much. The coat was brilliant and very Doctor-ish. Nine's costume was a bit too bland for my taste, and along with the short haircut he looked too much like a regular bloke and not much like the eccentric alien that he is.

Eleven's Indiana Jones-like suite and bowtie (love the bowtie! :D) are great, though - makes Matt Smith look older and more "nutty professor"-like.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    When I first saw pictures of Tennant in his suit, I thought it seemed kind of bland and ordinary, but he really made it work. I think I'd like Matt Smith to have one side of his shirt hanging out to make him look more dynamic, but at the end of the day it's the actor that makes the character, not the wardrobe. I think Smith's face and hair have so much character that he won't need to be tied to one costume to get that recognition factor.

19. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    I think it just makes him look like some pretentious college kid trying to look older. :p

Scummy

20. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    As sad and heartbreaking as it is to see Tennant go, the nature of his departure somewhat bothers me. Especially when I think back to Eccleston's exit and how well the character handled the change. Wasn't nearly as shocking. Tennant came off almost pathetic IMO and while I can see the logic behind it (who wants to die really?) I would have liked to have seen a more dignified regeneration.

His departure seems so bittersweet. I am saddened by the loss of Tennant, but look forward to Moffat's run as show runner. He seems to consistently tell the better stories and I would hope that we could cast off some of the more troublesome aspects of RTD's run. So I have many mixed feelings about Doctor Who at this point.

I guess not having grown up with the show i am not accustomed to actor's coming and going, and Eccleston's run was relatively short in comparison so I simply may not have an appropriate point of reference for watching 10 go.

Smith's got some big Cons to fill.

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hush, you spoilsport! :mad:

22. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    I liked it, made it much more tragic. I think it's not usually emphasized enough that regeneration is death for the current incarnation. It's not like it's just a mild inconvenience. The "I could have done so much more!" speech was incredibly touching. And it was prevented from being pathetic by his "Wilfred, it would be an honor" bit before microwaving himself. As for the last bit in the TARDIS, he was dying. I can't begrudge the Doctor for losing a bit of control.

Scummy

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    RTD did rather alter the nature of regeneration, though. It was never a sure thing in the past - the Fifth Doctor says something like: "might regenerate... I don't know". If a Time Lord got killed straight out, rather than being mortally wounded, then that was it. Of course the audience knows the Doctor will always regenerate, but he shouldn't - there should always be the fear of death in there.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I really like Tennant's departure precisely BECAUSE it sheds new light on Eccleston's.

Ten is not a weak or cowardly man, he is simply a man who wants to live. Nine is a man who goes on living, but on a certain level very much wants to die, wracked by guilt over his actions in the Time War (though there's no set canon on whether Eight or Nine fought the Time War, it makes more sense to me that it was Nine. Regardless, Nine's first appearance is clearly not long after the end of the War).

25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    One thing that bothers me: The 9th Doctor was 900, the 10th Doctor 906. He's really burning through his remaining lifes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.