main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] The Doctor: Or How I Learned to Love The TARDIS Updated 5/25/11!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Apr 19, 2011.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm new to Doctor Who and have only completed two seasons. This is my second attempt at Who fiction and hope you will take the time to stop and take a look. This is also a drabble thread which will contain five them words each week and the fics will each be 100-500 words. This first set features Rose, 9,and 10. Enjoy!

The Doctor: Or How I Learned to Love The TARDIS

Week 1 (lifted from UDC1)

1. Beginnings

The Doctor loved Humans. He really did. They were at once fascinating in their ingenuity and desire for discovery and frustratingly naïve in ignoring signs of imminent danger. Take his companion, Rose Tyler, for instance. When he first met her, she was in a dark, creepy stock room surrounded by living mannequins bent on her destruction. Did she scream? Did she call for help? Did she ever think she was in real danger? No. She thought it was a joke; an elaborate prank. Given that the punch line would be her rather grisly death, he had no choice but to step into the fray.

2. Middles

Her Doctor was gone, but The Doctor still lived. He was shorter, scrawnier, and the pitch of his voice grated on her. Like a boy playing in his father's clothes, he seemed dwarfed in the previous Time Lord's jacket and slacks. The fact that these trivialities leaped into her mind could only mean that she was in shock.

The Doctor was dead.

Her Doctor was dead. Now she was trapped in the TARDIS with a stranger.

Have a fantastic life, he said. He had known she would need a goodbye; some sort of ending.

Did he know she loved him?

3. Ends

Grey clouds blanketed the Norwegian sky and a chill wind raced along the coastline as Rose waited. Even now, some weeks later, her feelings of grief and soul wrenching loss churned just below the mere melancholy she presented. She didn't know what to expect. She didn't know what he would do. She knew only that he would send her a message; that he would find a way to say goodbye.

She wanted to say goodbye; to start to heal, but even more, she needed to verbalize the feelings which had grown from her first Doctor to the one recently lost.

4. First

It was the first and only time Rose felt threatened as The Doctor's companion. He had changed when he returned from his third trip through the fireplace. There was an urgency in him that was somehow deeper, more primal. It was evident that time was marching on in 18th Century France and that The Doctor was becoming more invested in the life of Reinette Poisson.

Rose had her hands too full with Mickey and the clock work robots to be genuinely jealous. However, when the Time Lord crossed over with now evident way to return, she could not fathom he would have chosen the courtesan over her.

5. Last

The last time he touched her, with any meaning, was a playful hip bump as they leaned over a Torchwood computer console and calculated how to close the vortex. She smiled and met his eyes, pouring all the unspoken love she harbored into her expression.

His eyes flashed, as they usually did, and he grinned in response. She had come to accept that he would never tell her of his feelings. He didn't have to say it with words. He told with ever quirk of his lips and arch of an eyebrow; every bound in his step and wave of his arms.

He didn't have to tell her. She knew.

"Time to save the world, Rose Tyler!" he exclaimed. "Are you with me?"

"Always," she declared. "Til the end of time."

"Good."

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great set and it's super to see a who-centered thread :cool:

Rose is fun to read (I also like Rory and Amy Pond)

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Woohooooo! Doctor Drabbles!!! [face_dancing]

Brodie - these made my morning. [face_love]

And it brought back some of my Doctor/Rose shippiness. Ah, to be young and new in a fandom again. :p

Beginnings: Best way to put this meeting. :D I loved the last 'punchline' with everything in me. =D=

Middles: 'like a kid trying on his father's clothes' - perfect. I love your character insights, and you have a gift for phrasing things. [face_love]

Ends: Oh, Doomsday and my heartstrings. :( But that was lovely.

First: Just . . . :mad: Soooo many conflicting emotions with that episode - minus the French history. [face_love] That part was to die for. ;)

Last: That was perfect - unspoken and spoken, and just too lovely for words.

Alrighty, that's my gushing for the day. :p

[:D]

~MJ @};-

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A/N: I'm on a roll so to speak! Thank you, Mira and Jade(pun sounds fun) for your kind reviews. Here's more Ten and Rose, with cameo by Eleven!

Week 2

6. hours

The Doctor wept; not with blubbering sobs or salt water trailing rivers down his cheeks, but with two solitary tears diving to the grated floor of the TARDIS. It had been an hour since Rose?s image had faded and gone. The Time Lord wanted nothing more than time to grieve, but the woman stalking his control room in a wedding dress was concerned with her own predicament.

The universe could be unfair sometimes; dropping trouble in his lap when a nice bit of tea and a moment of quiet reflection was what he desired most. Deciding the buck the universe, if only for a few minutes, he led the cantankerous bride to the jump chair and took his leave.

7. days

It had been three days since the Doctor?s image had faded and gone; an incomplete confession of love on his lips. Rose stalked the halls of her father?s mansion, exploring the many rooms, most as empty as the hole in her heart. When she was younger, before the Doctor, she would fantasize about being rich and living in a home larger than she could ever use. To have the dream come true and be nothing more than a hollow comfort was insult to the injury of the life she had lost. Dropping on to her ornate, four post bed, Rose dreamed of the TARDIS and its labyrinthine spaciousness.

8. weeks

It had been six weeks since the Doctor lost his Rose. Not even the presence of smart, attentive new companion was enough to quell the ache in his hearts. To make matters worse, the new girl fancied him. He had hoped it would be just that, a surface attraction, but the more time they spent together, the more adventures they completed, the more lives they saved and lost, he could see that it was more than just a school girl crush. He couldn?t allow it to continue. No matter how much he liked Martha Jones, he would not lead her on.

9. months

It had been 9 months since Norway. Rose was attempting to return to some semblance of a normal life. She couldn?t deny that there was something cool about living in an alternate universe. Initially she would take daily trips into the city to see how many differences she could find; both large and small. It was great fun and bittersweet as well. Her fact finding missions just weren?t the same with Mickey. She knew that this would be much more enlightening with the Doctor. Ha! Not only enlightening, but exciting and exhilarating. She missed the time lord and kept him close to her heart at all times. But she had to move one. He would want her to live.

10. years

Sometimes he wondered what it would have been like if Rose had been with him through it all. What comment she would have made, what joke might have inspired him, what insight she would have shared. Most of all, the Doctor mourned how her love might have saved him.

She would not recognize him now; new face and all. New Hair. New teeth. New gigantic brain. Scratch that. It might take a minute, but she would know him. Rose could always see through his posturing; of which he did a lot; an almost constant state of being.

My Rose. Where are you now when I need someone to both recognize my brilliance and challenge my absurdity.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, that was just lovely. [face_love]

I liked the fine line you walked between grief and acceptance and moving on. The first two were heartbreaking, and Months had a wonderful sort of healing feel to it. Years stole the cake for me, though - perfect thoughts and reflections all. [face_love]

=D=

~MJ @};-

6. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Loved this. It's so fresh for me, too, because my son and I very recently discovered Dr. Who, and began with the current Dr. (Matt Smith) who is delightful and wonderful in the role, and I love Amy and Rory, but we have been getting all the series from the library beginning with the Ninth Doctor (first series), and we just today finished the second series when Rose has to leave her doctor.

I knew she loved him, and strongly suspected he loved her, and cried buckets at the end of the two parter, Then I came on here and found this. Lovely, and touching, knowing what I know now.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Touching, very touching set with the first line mirroring each other with the time reference - =D= !!! Drives home the point that the Doctor and Rose both are noticing time's passage and that it started when they parted perforce.

The last line was especially moving: that is love to some degree LOL to be known and accepted in moments of brilliance and absurdity. ;) It takes a level of trust and safety to be able to share both with someone. :D

8. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    I just stumbled over your drabbles
    those are great
    I hope you eventually continue :)