main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] The Shed-Climbers Society (Amy and Mels friendship vignette; Series 6 Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Title: The Shed-Climbers Society
    Author: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Genre: Friendship, general
    Characters: Young Amelia and Mels
    Summary: One day after Amelia?s shed has been rebuilt, she discovers a strange girl climbing onto its roof and decides to investigate.
    Notes: A little thing I decided to write about three hours ago (therefore typos probably abound) because I have a Doctor Who fervour that couldn?t be satisfied by the Harry Potter fanfic I?m supposed to be writing for the JC House Cup. :p

**Spoilers for Series 6, specifically "A Good Man Goes to War" and "Let's Kill Hitler"**

Enjoy! :)

[blockquote][b]The Shed-Climbers Society[/b][/blockquote]

When Amy first met Melody, she was still going by ?Amelia? and Mels was refusing to be called anything that was or derived from ?Melody?. Mels said it was to test the teachers ? after all, if teachers were there to test students, then students were there to test teachers.

At least, that was what she insisted. It didn?t take long for Amelia to believe her.

Mels first appeared on a surprisingly warm autumn day when the leaves were just starting to change colours. Amelia was home alone and she had taken the opportunity to dig the Blue Box and the Raggedy Doctor out of her closet. Mum and Aunt Sharon didn?t like seeing her play with them, so she played with them in secret ? which was usually at night. Amelia didn?t think it was fair to them (even though Aunt Sharon insisted that they were toys and toys didn?t have feelings), so she relished any time she could get them out during the day. She had just been struck by the brilliant idea of making the Blue Box actually fly by tossing it out the window. She was sure it wouldn?t mind ? after all, the first time she?d seen it, it had been knocked over and was ?fazing? (whatever that meant), so she couldn?t possibly hurt it. She was sure it was used to worse things and besides, there was no other way to make it fly.

Grasping this brilliant idea, she picked up the Box and rushed to her window, standing on tiptoes to reach the locks. She pushed it open and leaned out, throwing her arm back to launch the box to new heights of flying amazingness.

That was when she saw a small, dark figure clamber over her fence and scamper up the shed in the yard.

Amelia reverently put the Box aside, grabbed her jacket and clattered down the stairs. Her yard was becoming really very exciting ? you never knew who would drop by.

The sun was high in the sky by now and very bright; it glared so much Amelia couldn?t see the girl on the shed roof. She raised a hand to protect her eyes and could only just make out a dark form perched above her.

?Hi,? the girl said.

?Hello,? Amelia said. She squinted. ?What are you doing on my shed??

?This is your shed??

?This is my house.?

?Oh!? The girl cocked her head. ?But where is everyone??

?Out.?

?Oh. Are you Scottish??

?Yeah.?

?Oh. That?s??

?Why are you in my yard??

??cool. I?m climbing, see? I climb things.?

?You think I?m? cool?? Amelia frowned.

?No,? the girl said. ?I meant being Scottish is cool. Been here long??

?What? No, I?m not?? She stopped; she hated being flustered. ?A few years. Mum and Dad and Aunt Sharon said we had to move. I don?t like it here.?

?I don?t like it here, either,? the girl said.

?It?s boring,? they both said at the same time.

The girl sat up straighter; Amelia grinned.

?Is that why you climb sheds??

?I don?t just climb sheds, I climb houses, too. I?d climb your house, but there?s not a good way to get up, unless you go through a window.?

?Why?? Amelia asked.

?Because I don?t like trees. Roofs are better. Want to come up??

?It?s my shed, I don?t need your permission!?

The girl slid forward and blocked out the sun. For the first time, Amelia could see her properly. She had a big, white grin on her face. ?Then why are you still standing there, silly??

Amelia grinned.

She shimmied up the side of the shed and, just like that, was perched on the roof.

The two girls sat side-by-side

2. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    =D=

I love it!

It's so cool to see these two when they're young and innocent and childlike. The best thing ever about Doctor Who is this whole notion of living out of order... it just makes life seem so much deeper. The thought of climbing a shed with these gals puts a huge smile on my face.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Idri! Oh I enjoyed that!

Seeing young Amelia and cool Mels ;) :D

And their pinky swearing [face_laugh]

I loved the back and forth about the crack in the wall that wasn't actually in the wall [face_laugh]

Huggles!!!

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh wow . . . This was lovely. [face_love]

I loved the bittersweetness of this. Amy and Melody's banter was perfect - so young and innocent! Melody going on about her parents made my heart twinge - seriously twist, but at the same time you couldn't help but smile at the out-of-order-ness of the whole meeting.

And then:

?And then I?ll see everything ? all of history. I could go see the Romans if I wanted to.?

?Dread Pirate Roberts!?

?Ancient Greece!?

?The Titanic!?

?The Romanovs!?

Yep. Pretty much the best few lines ever. =D=

Wonderfully done, Idri!! [:D]

~MJ @};-

5. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Oh, you are genius!!!! This was absolutely brilliant. I would even go as far as to give it an Eccleston "Fantastic!"

I loved young Amelia and I could hear her saying every single one of these lines! The whole thing was playing out perfectly in my head as I read.

Your Mels was amazing exactly how I thought she would be based on that waaay to short scene of her as a child.

Which btw was one of the scenes which made Let's Kill Hitler one of my all time favorite episodes!

i am in awe of this story and in your writing. So far all of the stories of yours that I have read have been phenomenal. I can't wait to see what else you might do... Whether it is Tangled or Doctor Who or something I have never even heard of.

On a side note have you seen North and South by BBC?