1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

NSWRPF Archive Doctor Who - The Steel Empire

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Penguinator, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    DOCTOR WHO

Revenge of the Steel Empire

In the back of a dark alley, unseen by all, a familiar sound can be heard if one listens intently. Familiar to some, at least.

A swooping hum signals the arrival of - nothing. Nothing noticeable. But in a corner, the arrival of a large blue police box is marked by rats scurrying out of the way. It wasn't there a moment ago - it simply appeared.

Silence in the alley again, except for the whistling wind.

Then the police box opens up.

"So where are we, anyhow?" A man's voice, American by the sounds of it.

"London, by the looks of it. Bit drab, though, isn't it?" Another voice - British, estuary English, to the knowing ear.

The door closes, and the men are outside. One wears a long brown coat, and is slimmer than the other, who has a black leather jacket on.

The slimmer one is a doctor, the Doctor, actually. His companion is Captain Jack Harkness, a smooth-talking man, a confident man, a con man.

But there is a third person in the alley. At least, there was a third person. A silver glint from atop the roof would, under normal circumstances, hint at what is to come. But these aren't normal circumstances.

"So, the opening in that void thing is, uh, open again, then?" These words from Captain Jack.

"Oh, let's hope not. I mean, let's really hope that it isn't open again, alright?" replies the Doctor.

"But, doesn't that mean we can go get Rose?"

The Doctor doesn't turn when he replies. "Yes. I suppose it does."

The flash of lightning is followed by rumbling thunder

And from atop the roof, the machine stares.

*RUN PROTOCOL - IDENTIFY_ORGANIC>>INDIVIDUAL*

*QUERYING*

*MATCH FOUND - DOCTOR_CLASS_5 SECURITY RISK>>REPORT TO CONTROLLER IMMEDIATELY*

And in a nearby building, the battle is ready to begin. The Steel Empire will have its revenge.

This is a Doctor Who RPG, the first on the Non-SW RPF. For those that aren't familiar with the "Whoniverse", Doctor Who Canon and continuity, the titular Doctor is just that. The Doctor. He is a time (and space) travelling alien, who outwardly appears as a human. The Doctor, a Time Lord, has a way of cheating death - whenever he nears death, whether from age or mortal wounds, can regenerate. His body (and, to a lesser degree, his mind) changes into a new form. Extreme intelligence and extreme long life are his powers, and he carries no weapons.

His ship is the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space), which, under normal conditions, disguises itself to fit in any place, any time, using its chameleon circuit. However, the circuit in the Doctor's TARDIS broke down in England long ago, and so it is stuck in the shape of an old police box. The TARDIS is bigger on the inside than on the outside, and only the Doctor knows how big it truly is. The small box houses a veritable mansion when you step through it's doors.

As the Doctor can travel through time in the TARDIS, he has established a few rules. He will never leave a timeline once he (and his companions) become part of the events. Retreating to another time and place is no option, and the Doctor will never think twice about it.

THE STORY

In the weeks following The Doctor's separation with his friend Rose Tyler, life was depressing for the Time Lord. She was never to see him again, trapped on an alternate Earth. The Doctor resumed his travels, but this time, on his own. By chance, these travels reunited him with an old friend, Captain Jack Harkness. On a visit to London, not five days ago, Jack and the Doctor heard hushed rumours of machines in the shape of man.

This worried the Doctor, and so he set out to investigate an old breach between worlds, thought closed long ago.

The breach was open. A gateway between two worlds had been made.

Meanwhile, to the joy of stock brokers everywhere, the Lumic Cybernetic Corporation has opened three large factories in industrial London. People begin to go missing. Something's rotten in the Corporation, and the Doctor intends t
  2. Deiskrad Force Ghost

star 2
    Name: Cyberleader1
    Species: Cyberman
    Personality: N/A
    Appearance: 7?2?. Burnished Steel Carapace. Black tubular handles designating rank.
    Weapons: Microwave pulse disruptor mounted in forearm
    Bio: Unit 50,987 was upgraded on 10 October 2007. Redundant Human designation ?Willie Link Dunbar?. Unit 50,987 was procured from London Slums and upgraded. Units human memory indicated that Dunbar was a Lieutenant in the British Army during the Falklands war. Financial instability and alcoholism turned against Dunbar and forced him to live in the streets. He was attracted by the promise of a fresh start as a laborer and loader at a Lumic Industries warehouse. The ruse worked and Dunbar was upgraded to Unit 50,987. His knowledge of small unit tactics was noted in the database and unit 50,987 was earmarked to become a coordinator or leader if a military takeover was deemed necessary.
    During the destruction of Lumic?s first Cyber-factory, unit 50,987 was on Procurement detail in Perivale, overseeing the pacification of incompatible stock.
    When the signal was reached, unit 50,987 and others in patrol were far enough away to not be affected by the deactivation of the emotion-suppressing hardware. They determined that the logical course of action was to continue upgrading activities underground.
    When the Cybermen determined that the best course of action was to depart Earth for an alternate earth via the Torchwood tower and the void, unit 50,897 was designated as coordinator of operations on earth1.
    When unit 50987 received word of the catastrophic failure of the incursion to Earth2, he was designated Cyberleader1 of the dwindling Cyber forces on Earth1.
  3. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    CHARACTER SHEETS

Name: Jay Bryce
    Species: Human Freedom Fighter
    Personality: Rebel, Finds humor in every situation, quick to anger, paranoid
    Appearance: [image=http://www.geocities.com/d_v_c1/freedomfighter.jpg]
    Weapons: Short Steel Baseball Bat, Sawed off Shotgun, whatever he can find
    Bio:

Jay was born, and has lived his whole life in London, England. During his later teens Jay became increasingly paranoid of the paranormal, and his own death. He set out to prove the existance of those things he feared, ghosts, aliens, and other beings of disputed existance. He has spent the last 4 years of his life as a "Hunter" searching for proof of those things, most notably aliens, for which he had made a strong case. As the years have progressed, he has also become more fearful, and quirky, his claims more outrageous. He's even gone so far as to accuse the Lumic Cybernetic Corporation of creating "Mechanical Men" responsible for the many dissapearences in the English Plants. With little to go on but fuzzy pictures and guess work, he set out to find the only person he belived could help him. A man he knew little of, whom he had noticed in his study of aliens. A man he hoped was still on this earth. A doctor...no...The Doctor.
  4. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    If I could, I would be in this like a shot! To my eternal regret, I am too busy right now.

:(
  5. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    So no one likes Doctor Who.

Except for DVC, myself, and Deiskrad.

6. Darth_Sadis Jedi Master

star 1
    Name: Unit 11-38

Species: Cyberman

Personality: N/A

Appearance: 7?2?. Burnished Steel Carapace. Silver tubular antennae keep me connected to the CybusNet, and subsequently connected to all other Cybermen.

Weapons: Microwave pulse disruptor mounted in forearm. Conductive steel hands allow electrical charge to be passed from this unit into others.

Bio: This unit was upgraded on 27th October 2007. Previous designation and history was considered irrelevant and deleted from memory. This unit is currently assigned to CyberLeader1 in a protective capacity. We will bring the Ultimate Upgrade to the world.
  7. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I appreciate your interest, Darth_Sadis, but in the future, please PM all Character Sheets.
  8. Darth_Sadis Jedi Master

star 1
    Sorry. I thought you just wanted us to post it up.

PM posted.
  9. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Damn. If I was considered skilled enough, I'd really, really want to play the Doctor in this. It makes me consider breaking my no-more-than-two rule.

*makes indesicion noises*
  10. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I'd be more than willing to let you.
  11. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd like to apply for Captain Jack. I haven't been in a lot of RPGs on theForce.net but I've got quite a few under my belt on other forums.
  12. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Fine by me. You're welcome to play as him.
  13. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    No, I'm sorry, I just have too much work at present to commit to this rpg. I'm really sorry, Peng. :(
  14. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    No worries. I think a suitable player will eventually find their way to this game.

Thanks for your interest!
  15. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Is this dead? Or deleted or whatever the term is?
  16. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I'm afraid so...I can't get any more players to join, and I'm not a fan of playing 4+ characters at a time.

If someone wanted to paly the Doctor and Rose, though, I'd be more than happy to let this continue.
  17. Deiskrad Force Ghost

star 2
    I sure hope this doesn't die. C'mon. Somebody's got to like the new Doctor Who, and trolls these boards. I'd do it myself, but it wuld be too much o a conflict of interest to play both Hero and Principle Villain.
  18. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll have a go at the Doctor.

Not making any long term commitments though.
  19. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Thank you very much! If that's the case, then I'll have an opening post up tomorrow.
  20. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Pat obligations met, I'd like to go for Rose to Sithy's Doctor. :D
  21. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Certainly! Yay patience!

Opening post tomorrow, along with my CS.

Thank you all!
  22. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    GM - OPENING POST

London was soaked, not a drastic change in it's usual weather, but not a welcome one, either. Trafalgar Square was laden with people on this fine day, including Jay Bryce.

Though he wasn't the only one there.

Clear across from him was the man he'd been hunting - The Doctor. The Doctor, along with companion Captain Jack Harkness had been investigating new leads in the city, but so far they'd only found statistics showing the continued increase of greenhouse gasses, and bureaucrats spewing data on the dwindling number of homeless people.

And, atop roofs overlooking the crowd, sleek metal machines prepared for their attack, lead by the paragon of robotics, Cyberleader1. His bodygaurds stood near, but even these foul watchmen were being watched.

Rose Tyler, Defender of Earth (Earth One, actually, though the inhabitants of this Earth would have something to say about it), Agent of Torchwood, gazed through binoculars at the sleek Cyberleader. Four commandoes stood by her, carrying weapons designed to destroy the robotic threat. Each of them wore a yellow device on their belt.

Then it happened.

Three buildings blew up simultaneously, and the Cybermen made their move. All hell was about to break loose, and only four people stood in the way of extinction of the race.

This is their story.

Tag: All
  23. Genimay Jedi Master

star 4
    GM Approved

Name:Isabell Darkholm
    Species:Human freedom fighter.
    Personality:Young and ambistious. She's free spirited and somewhat of a handful but will follow orders...in her own way.
    Appearance:Isabell,or Issy, is a tall,5'7",young woman with dark aubrun hair and brillant green eyes. She is strong but relativly slender.
    Weapons:any thing she can get but has a favorite pistol and a dagger.
    Bio:Isabell was raised by her father as her mother died when she was just two. though she doens't speak of her past many suspect she was abused because of her somewhat strange nature. There are some things she refuses to do and often acts younger than her years.
  24. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    OOC: Penguinator, advises that this intro starts on the Earth we know and love, not the alternate one with the Zeppelins over the Thames.

IC: The Doctor, Trafalgar Square.

The Time Lord stopped, looking across the heads of the people thronging through London?s tourist mecca, and across at the skyline. He stopped.

?I was here for the 2012 Olympics, you know.? He said to Jack. ?And those three buildings weren?t there. Now, I grant you, skylines change all the time when you travel through time, but London, particularly around the City, is normally loath to knock down-?

Three blocks exploded, scattering a rolling grey cloud of debris across the land to envelope the relatively small people as the buildings collapsed like packs of cards.
    Everybody ducked and covered, getting low to avoid flying shrapnel, then a good proportion of the people turned and ran, screaming in the opposite direction.
    The remainder, displaying the calm in the face of terror, the attitude that was often referred to as the ?British stiff upper lip?, stayed where they had dropped or squatted, their first thoughts to get on their mobile phones or cells, and call friends and relatives to inform them of their safety.
    One or two pointed camera phones towards the disaster to get ?amateur shots? to sell to the newspapers and the telly!

?-well that explains what happened to those buildings, then.? The Doctor finished, still standing. His hair washed about in the wind that blasted past them. ?I knew I hadn?t seen them last time.?

Tag: Captain Jack, Rose, Jay, City of London emergency services, Cyber-dudes.
  25. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Rose Tyler
    Trafalgar Square, Earth Prime !EDIT: damn alternate worlds damn damn dammit)

Cybermen. Rose had never thought that she'd face those cold steel faces again, or hear the harsh, lifeless grate of a voice that had once been human. It just wasn't fair. She'd assumed that the mechanical menace had been defeated when they were trapped in the Void, what seemed like a lifetime ago when she and the Doctor had worked together for the last time to rid the galaxy of the Cybermen. And here she was again, trying to recaputre just a fraction of the thrill she'd felt when she was working with the Doctor. It wasn't working.

"Cyberleader spotted." She snapped, as her Torchwood co-workers took notes. "They've gathered on the rooftops again. The numbers have increased since last time... it's like they're waiting for something..."

It was then that it happened. The building behind them crumpled outwards like a paper bag into which someone has suddenly, violently, exhaled. Rubble and smoke rained down on Trafalgar Square, the once busy crowd now a screaming, churning mass of people. Rose reached for her EMP weapon and Torchwood badge, looking around for the rest of her comrades. She spotted Darkholm and barked an oder at the girl to get moving.

"Regroup!" Rose shouted, spotting other Agents. "We need to contact Torchwood Tower and get these people out of here before the Cybermen get down off the rooftops! Move!"

Then the second cataclysm happened. Just for a second, through the durst and chaos, she saw a face she'd never dared hope she'd see again. Her heart, already pumping overtime with adrenaline, somersaulted.

"Doctor...?"

[TAG Genimay, Peng, Sith, Cybermen, etc, etc]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.