main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Doctor Who - The Steel Empire

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Penguinator, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Jack / 001x

Jack stood, thinking about what they'd need.

"Well, it was in a movie. So I'm assuming EMP-style bits and bobs?"

There was an audible thud above them. Dust fell from the ceiling of the bunker. Jack frowned. What was making that?

Another thud. Gunfire could be heard from outside, very nearby. So the battle had reached this place.

Turning to jay, he asked, "How strong is this place?"

He was answered a moment later as a small chunk of the ceiling narrowly missed hitting him in the head. Metal clanging could be heard now through the now-thin part of the ceiling.

"They're here." muttered Jack.

Tag: All in Bunker, Jay

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: You know what? between the two of you, you can have London.
    I'm not good enough to RP the Doctor in this, so complete is the Cyber take-over, and ability to counter every single move the good guys make. I suck at chess, and this is too close to that game.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: You sure about this?

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: The method you are using to play as the Cybermen is to hound the Doctor throughout every move or action he makes, not giving us opportunity to regroup and plan, and even if that happened in occasional episodes, it didn't happen all the time.

You are using out of game knowledge to find and counter us, and frankly, I'm here to play Doctor Who, not The Fugitive.

5. Darth_Sadis

Darth_Sadis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    OOC: We haven't done anything to the Doctor's plans. After he went underground we abandoned pursuit and concentrated on our Plan.

The methods we were using were logical and in keeping with the Whoniverse. The Cybermen from Earth-1 (as we call it) were able to become compatible with any type of technology. Even though you said they could only do that on our Earth because they had access to the Torchwood staff, in this RP we Upgraded several members of the Torchwood staff, as well as used a Cybermat to access the neural capabilities of another employee, which means we could use their knowledge to create the neccessary modifications to our systems.

Again, all we have done is beat Torchwood which is extremely likely to happen. The GM would have intervened if he felt we were doing something which was out of character.

6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Darth_Sadis, I actually didn't have problem with you. Although it took you two or three posts, you eventually described how you were able to deal with the self-destruct attempt.
    Plus, if you look at my previous comment, I said the Cybermen were using OOG knowledge.

Your Cyber-force were in a building with a loud tannoy announcing a bomb was going to go off, so obviously I am not talking about our little tug-of-war.
    As far as YOU are concerned, D_S, well played.

7. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    Oh, then thank you.

Why don't you just stay? Make a deal with the GM to get you back cause as the Doc you were great. You had me at "KFC bargain bucket"!

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm very sorry if my posts were what drove you away, Sithy. I'm not trying to make it difficult, I'm just trying to post regularly. I had a very basic plan with my latest post, which was to put the good guys on the run, nothing more. I wasn't planning on dogging you the whole way, just to get things going again.

9. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    The whole 001x thing caught me off guard. I think because we (the Cybermen) had no idea what it was for, as well as everyone else.

So what happens now?

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: I'll post something Sunday.

11. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Cyberleader1

Re-entering the Vault, Cyberleader accessed the files regarding Asset beta. It was a Sontaran Scout Ship. It had crashed on the Somme in 1916 and was recovered by british troops. It was taken back to England, along with it's sole occupant. A Sontaran Warrior named Linx. He had eventually disclosed much about his vehicle and his people, and had assisted Britain in the two world wars, developing technology and pointing them in the right direction. Sontarans lived for war, and he had talked often of his hatred of the enemy of the Sontarans: The Rutans. The two had been engaged in warfare since "Beofre man was walking upright".
    The ship itself was an incredible boost to uplifting the human race. Still, they had only been able to get some system working a few years ago, and one of those systems was the Osmic Projector.
    The Osmic projector was a type of Teleporter used by Sontarans to conduct quick reconnaissance. Since its reactivation, Torchwood had used it sparingly in emergency situations.
    But now the Cybermen controlled it.
    Cyberleader1 noted the possibility that the Sontarans and Rutans were still out fighting their endless war in the deep reaches of the universe.
    He stepped over to his technical team. "SitRep."
    "The Osmic Projector is ready, leader. We are entering the co-ordinates now."
    "Assault teams to position." Cyberleader commanded.
    He and his team formed up.
    "Activate the Osmic Projector."

International Space Station, Geostationary Orbit, Earth.

The Cybermen appeared out of nowhere. The astronauts from twelve different natiosn panicked and tried to swim away. It would have been comical if the Cybermen had emotions.
    The Cybermen activated powerful magnets in their boots and began walking casually through the corridors and laboratories that made up the space station.
    "Use of Microwave disruptors is prohibited. We must avoid catastrohpic breach of hull. Use electrocution only in deleting hostile elements."
    The Cybermen caught up with the astronauts one by one and electrocuted them. The astronauts threw things back at them, spinning anything not tied down at their attackers, but it was no use. In five minutes all were dead except for a New German Astronaut and a Chinese astronaut who locked themselves in a cupboard. Cyberleader decided they were no threat. A scan revealed that there were no weapons in the Cuboard, and further, after accessing their dossiers, the two surviving astronauts had no military training.
    "Establish link with Asset Alpha."
    "link established."
    "Begin Phase 3."

In the wake of the void-crossing, the temperature on Earth had risen nearly ten degrees. Even after the breach was closed, the situation did not stabilize. To that end, Earth built a series of graviton sattellites to control the weather. It worked well. In 18 months the global weather patterns began returning to normal.
    Now it was in the hands of the Cybermen.
    The two hubs controlling teh weather sattellites had fallen; one in torchwood, and one on the ISS.
    With a thought, Cyberleader ordered the Weather sattellites to create a series of 8 tornadoes outside Moscow. In another thought, a tremendous typhoon began forming in the southern atlantic, heading towards Brazil. A vicious blizzard descended upon The american South.
    Cyberleader decided that he had Earth's attention now.
    He turned to his deputy; 11-38.
    "I will speak on all global wavelengths. Hijack communication sattellite Signals. All of them."
    It was time to issue the Ultimatum.

TAG: 11-38, others.

OOC: Sontarans are a real Doctor Who monster. Maybe we'll see them someday in the new show. Everything I said about them was established in the old series. Except the stuff about the sontaran ship crashing in 1916. I lifted that from an audioplay called Sontarans: Old Soldiers.

12. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    IC: 11-38

Their was a momentary burst of static that confused vision, and white noise which confused hearing, but it passed.
    As 11-38 turned towards its directive it realised it was not stationary. There was a soft hum as magnets pulled the metal body towards the ceiling of the satellite. Calmly the unit walked towards the ground and watched as several astronauts began drifting away. Hands reached out from corridors and gripped wrists, legs and ankles - then delivered massive amounts of electrical energy into their bodies.

As it watched, it realised that the plan was already in motion. Sattelite channels were swarmed with emergency signals, news reports, phone calls... the apparently freak weather had drawn notice.

Good.

CyberLeader1 turned and faced 11-38. "I will speak on all global wavelengths. Hijack communication sattellite Signals. All of them."

11-38 brought its fist to its chest. Within a moment, it had overridden the command codes of media satellites all over the world, linked its auditory and optical sensors to them and run translation programmes which would automatically translate the CyberLeader's message into all native dialects. The last task took the most time, a total of 45.098452 seconds. Once again, human difference caused delays and impaired efficiency.
    The Cyberman turned towards its leader, its eyes acting as cameras and its 'ears' as microphones. Before transmitting its leaders message of surrender, 11-38 connected with the remaining troops on Earth and ordered them all to ensure Canary Wharf remained the property of Cybus Industries.

Televisions on Earth suddenly flickered and lost their reception. Internet browsers redirected and opened new windows. Then they all stopped, and whatever was being viewed had been replaced by the flawless steel face of the CyberLeader.

TAG: Anyone

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: I really have no fragging clue as to what I'm - as the Doctor - are gping to do about this. I was working on a plan for London, with Jack's help, but now you fraggers are in space! *sigh*

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: Space? Uh-oh's...Post coming soon, when my mind is working again. Thank you for sticking around, Sithy.

15. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC:
    This is going to date me, but I've dreamed of playing the Cyberleader since 1989. I've been contemplating the Ultimate Cyber-Scenario since then. I've had more than fifteen years to plan. I'll post the ultimatum tomorrow. Sorry if it's difficult.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: I'm seventeen. Almost.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: I haven't abandoned this. I just have no idea what to do in the face of all this.

Nothing comes to mind without engaging in silly tactics.

Standard counter-measures would be to send in helicopter gunships, but they use electronics, and Deiskrad et al have established that they can neutralise anything electronic just by hitting themselves on the chestplate, so no point me even fueling the things up.

Silly counter-measures involve having UNIT or a London-based npc carving likenesses of my three favourite video game girls - Lara Croft, my Everquest character, and my current Guildwars one, out of plastic, on a human-sized scale, then letting a captured Auton Consciousness who has come over to our side, breathe life into them; we brief them on the task at hand, then let them lead the fight.
    Yeah right, the GM is going to allow that!

So back to square one.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: Well, it is Doctor Who. That plan isn't so strange, seeing as how the Doctor's universe has living plastic.

19. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Cyberleader1

"This is Cyberleader one. I am addressing the whole of Humankind. Cybermen have captured the controls for your weather control sattellites. You will stand down all your armed forces and surrender to the inevitable next step in evolution. If you do not, we will visit undreamed of destruction on your cities, your farms, your homes. Any attempt to destroy the control hubs will result in a lethal response.
    "But do not be afraid. The Cybermen will grant you a brand new existance devoid of the agony of choice. The Agony of Emotion. The agony of pain and loss. Your leaders have 1 hour to respond. You will become like us."
    He cut the transmission. He then sent on a coded frequency a document to the Governments of the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, China, and Russia. It detailed his proposals in full, and was intended to mollify the leaders of the country into accepting surrender more readily.
    In it, Cyberleader promised not to upgrade all of humanity. At first, only the terminally ill, the weak, the old and the frail would be spared. The physically strong and those of sexual maturity would be collected into labor and breeding pools to ensure the continuation of the species. Others who would be upgraded would be the wretched, the disposessed, the malingerers and malcontents. The Lazy and feckless. The Cyberleader would also spare all world leaders and their families, all leaders of major economical institutions. humanity would never cease to exist, for to do so would ensure the stagnation of Cyber-kind. Instead, Humanity would be uplifted to a greater plane. Children would be taught to worship the Cybermen and look forward to Upgrading. Humanity would learn to view the process more like a caterpillar becoming a great steel butterfly. The shiftlessness of humanity would be replaced with Iron resolve.
    "Cybermen will maintain patrol of Space Station. All scopes and scanners wll watch for attacks against this space station."
    He checked the navigation controls. CYberleader that at least three nations employed anti-sattellite sattellites to blind their opponents in case of war between the superpowers.
    "Navigation. Ready Thrusters. Move us to an elliptical orbit. This will reduce the probability of an anti-sattellite attack against the space station."
    All was going well. Still, the random factor of the Doctor was troubling.

IC: General Sir Colin Redgrave
    Redgrave watched the Cyberleader deliver his ultimatum to the world. His first inclination was to look to the sky, and sure enough he saw swirling, unnatural clouds. He bordered on despair. But held it back.
    He thought of Henry V. He thought of Sir Francis Drake. He thought of Wellington. Of John Chard. Of Haig and Montgomery. Of the British People. They had endured the unbelievable and the hopeless, and yet they had prevailed each time.
    The Empire and the Monarchy may be gone, but the British people would not go down without taking reminding the Cybermen who they were and why they had for so long been the most powerful nation in the world.
    "Gentlemen, make your peace with whatever you believe in. We're going inside there..." He pointed to Canary Wharf "...In twenty minutes."
    He picked up a rifle, checked its load.
    "I will go with you."

TAG: 11-38 The Doctor, Anybody

20. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    IC: 11-38

11-38 stared down through the thick glass overlooking Earth. It looked so blue, so natural and organic... so frail.
    Optical sensors switched through several spectrums until the Cyberman could plainly see the huge hole in the ozone layer.
    If the Cybermen hadn't launched their attack, humanity would have eventually been destroyed by the damage caused by the Sphere. But now, humanity would endure - in one form or another.

11-38 knew what its orders were. The Cybermen must now launch the final part of their attack -Phase 4.
    The Cyberman invasion would now finally be completed. After that it would only be a matter of time...
    With a thought, 11-38 sent a transmission unlike any other. It had no recipient, nor no target. It could be likened to the ravings of a madman, or a random shout. The call was sent, and everything it past heard...

OOC: The next post is a bit long winded but I give some background to what is about to happen before it does.

21. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    (narrative)

Although recently liquidated by the UN, Cybus Industries was not yet completely destroyed. The company's founder, John Lumic, was not foolish. He had invested millions of pounds in other branches.
    In the Icelandic Provinces, Lumic had ordered Cybus Industries to donate equipment and advanced weaponry to the freedom fighters that had overthrown the tyrannical government and liberated thousands of hostels, all full of homeless political prisoners, who had lost everything.
    In Cuba, he had publicly given hundreds of thousands of pounds to the state, which in turn funded youth housing and orphanages.
    In Borneo, he constructed four factories, relieving unemployment and paying his workers the minimum British wage.

But his actions weren't all selfless...

In the US, Lumic privately funded organised criminals, including members of the Mafia and the Yakuza. In addition to this, he provided a shipping service (also available in Australia and New Zealand) which offered employment to any illegal immigrants in any of the factories which with vacancies.
    And most horrifically, Lumic was in contact with certain individuals... individuals who were happy to sell young children to a faceless organisation for a large sum. And when questioned about suspicious account activity, he led a UN ambassador through one of his orphanages and showed her the better life he had given the former slaves. Lumic had recieved two Nobel Peace Prizes.

Lumic had personally ordered all of these events. He had moved the children into orphanages, given them EarPods, and began teaching them. Their bodies were treated with repsect ("A healthy mind, requires a healthy vessel", John had said), but on their 17th birthday, it was... replaced.
    His funding of criminal organisations earned him the respect, and subsequent benefits, of some of the most powerful men in the world, and also allowed him to issue threats, bribe officials and even cover up mysterious disappearances without being implicate din any way.
    And the political prisoners and immigrated employees? They were kept in service for two months, and then they were 'promoted'

And now, due to the careful planning of a fallen visionary and the efficient, logical direction of a current leader, great things were in motion.
    In countries all over the world, in secret tunnels dug two miles below the surface, rows and rows of stationary figures stood. Months of immobility were evident. Layers of dust coverened shoulders, heads, arms... cobwebs filled the gap between atenna and head. Rats ran through legs, feeling secure in their dark tunnel.
    Instantly, that all changed.
    Bright, white lights glared through the tunnels, sending rodents skittering. There was a hum of electricity and a loud voice boomed through the seemingly endless corridors.

All units activate. All units activate. All units activate.

The figures twitched, the initial surge of power causing involuntary movement. Then, as one, they turned and began marching toward the exit. As they walked, they payed no attention to the rodents they crunched underfoot, nor to the storms several battalions of them had been ordered to enter.

TAG: Anyone but cybermen ;)

22. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: From the TARDIS to the teakettle, wherever (or whenever) you are, Merry Christmas to you if Christianity is your mettle.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: I have lost my momentum on this. If I get some inspiration, fine, I'll post something, but don't hold your breaths.

24. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    OOC: Speaking up to ask: how did the Cybermen survive in the first place? John Lumic is dead, the cybermen are all in the Void. Please could you explain how you got here? Then we might have something to work with.

For now, I have to agree with Sithy. This is no fun. Sorry.

25. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    OOC: There were Cybermen all over the world "On seven continents." When the inhibitor was deactivated it only effected the Cybermen in London. The others had to be done seperatly which is why Mickey and Jake went to Paris.

IMO, the Cybermen removed the deactivation code from their inhibitors after Age of Steel to prevent it happening again. Then when they invaded our universe some stayed behind.

Thats what I had figured anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.