main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Doctor Who - The Steel Empire

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Penguinator, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    OOC: What would you have me do?

I'm being told what your problems are, but I'm not being given any advice on how to remedy them.

2. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    OOC: I think mine and Sithy's problem here is that we're not being given much chance at retaliation. You and the other cybermen players have a very well thought out, very detailed plan that covers all your bases. Sithy and I do not, forward planning not really being our thing. Therefore, you have stalemated us and we really can't think of a way out of this situation.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: I'm very sorry for being such a poor GM, and I will try to solve this problem. Advice/suggestions/etc. are encouraged, and if any of you have a resolution to this, please, tell me.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: I don't know if there is a solution, since as GM, you have allowed the Cybermen to have godmode-level free reign over everything that could be levelled against them, including denying us the use of Torchwood, control over electronics and codes, no matter how encrypted; unsupported detection of alien technology to track the Doctor; cybermatting of all birds over London, control of all CCTV and surveillance on the planet, and a space presence.

Think of our situation like the Matthew Broderick Wargames film, where a battle computer has been programmed with various World War Three battle scenarios, and then the responses to them.
    I have considered all scenarios, and anything that I come up with has been demonstrated to get countered by yourselves in one post.

I and Livi' have repeated the exercise with each other, with the same result.

So, Peng', if there is a course of action that cannot be detected and countered by the Cybermen players right after they read our post, you or the remaining players (or ask the Resource forum?) are going to have to come up with it, and have Jack say it aloud, and then the Doctor and Rose (and perhaps UNIT) can run with it.

For instance, Jack had an EMP-pulse idea. That is electronic, so we know the Cyberleader is going to smack himself in the chest to neutralise that anyway, but if we forget that for a moment, the Doctor and friends are going to have to leave the bunker to get anywhere that has this equipment, and the moment they step out, whether above or below ground, the alien technology detector, birds, and CCTV are all going to point fingers, wings and other appendages and shout "there he is!", so there is no point me even typing that up.

We can't hang around in the bunker for longer than say twenty-five minutes, because you, Peng', dropped that 001X thing on our roof. We've got time for a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes each, and then we are drokked. Certainly no time for the "Drop A Jean Size" challenge.

The only difference between now and the first time I conceded was that the first time, I was sulky, and this time I'm being practical.
    I do now realise that my comment that I'm not good enough to play the Doctor in this was truer than I thought. You really need players like Imperial Hammer, pashatemur or Mortimer Nerdly who can strategise on a global-scale to play the Time Lord.
    I'm more face-to-face, and I have been completely outflanked by the level of the Cyber-threat in this game.

5. Darth_Sadis

Darth_Sadis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    OOC: The EMP would have worked as long as you had kept it away from the Cybermen. If they hadn't seen or had nay idea of what you was doing they wouldn't have been able to access it. And me and Deiskrad don't use out of game knowledge or what we read in our planning. We have had the plan since the game started and have only changed it slightly (the aerial Cybermats for instance).

Personally I think you were playing a pretty good Doctor. I understand that you feel you aren't capable of playing him satisfactorily but you got the character down to a tee.

6. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    IC: Cyberleader1

"My army awakes, Doctor." The Cyberleader said to no-one in particular. On his situation map, on various island nations across the world, Cybermen went on-line and were now on the attack. They were on course to have taken over their target areas within 48 hours.
    Though technically this was a campaign against the humans, he viewed still his chief enemy as the Doctor, even though he had not overtly interfered in the plan since his initial sighting. He was confident he could outthink, outfight, and outmaneuver Earth's most capabile miltary leaders. He already had done so. But the Doctor... That was a different story.
    He tuned instead into teh various Earth News Services. Their panic was considerable. Their headlines were much the same: "Cyberleader threat issued" "What is the UN's Response?" "Major storms lash mainland..." "Who is Cyberleader? A speculative profile..."
    A warning klaxon issued forth from a panel. Cyberleader marched over and looked into the viewer.
    6 ICBM's had been launched from Siberia. They were on course to deliver their atomic payloads on the International Space Station.
    The Russians. Of course, it would be the Russians.
    Making some adjustments to the graviton sattellites, they coalesced a storm around the six missiles. Wind whipped and howled and rain lashed the weapons. Cyberleader threw in a few Tornadoes to boot. they wavered off course and fell into the Bering Sea.
    "The Russian federation has rejected our demand. Initiate punitive measures against them."
    "I obey" said a Cyberman. It keyed in a series of codes, and gale force winds began to form off of St. Petersberg. Massive electrical storms materialized around Moscow. Two dozen class 5 Tornadoes groudn out the offending missile base in Siberia.
    Cyberleader decided that on it's ashes, he would re-name it Cyberia. Not for the Cybermen, of course, but for the human populace. A reminder of the might of the Cybermen.
    "Unit 11-38, make sure that the governments of the world see how we dealt with Russia's folly. Re-route global communications signals so that the world population sees the might of the Cyber-race confirmed."

TAG: 11-38, The Doctor, others.

7. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    IC: 11-38

"Citizens of Earth. Delegates of the United Nations."
    The blank metal face of 11-38 stared out of television sets across the world. It was neccessary to gain the allegiance of the humans, the Cyberman race must be ensured.
    Briefly 11-38 scanned its internal hard-drive and correlated the situation with similar events throughout history. The key to subjugation was fear, and the best way of seeding fear was through pointless, emotive dramatisation.
    "The country of Russia has refused our offer. They are being deleted. Our storms rage through their homeland, destroying all in their path. Men, women, children... gone in a rush of wind, water and lightning.
    "But Russia will not be forgotten. On the rubble of this nation we will build a grand testament to the might of the Cybermen. Atop the ruins of the corrupted, human state of Russia shall rise Cyberia, a testament to our military might, and the metropolis that will become your home - if you surrender."

Now the message must be driven home, with piercing accuracy. It was not neccessary for all the nations to surrender of course (in fact some of them had already been designated 'incompatible for Upgrade'), but a larger number of human.1 would mean a larger number of human.2

"It is only natural for your emotions to impede your judgement, which is why we have allowed you time to consider. But Russia's attack means your duration has ended. Our storms can be halted within minutes, conversely they can be created in seconds. Cybermen will assist the restructuring of your homes and equal distribution of nurishment. Economics are irrelevant. Armies are irrelevant.
    "Surrender, and we will give you immortality. Rebel, and you will be deemed obsolete. And that which is obsolete, must be deleted."

As 11-38 prepared to end the transmission, an afterthought came into its mind.
    "People of London. Our headquarters will be established in your city. Begin its construction or be deleted."
    The 001/x prototype units had reported no success of finding the Doctor - failing their mission. 11-38 was dissatisfied. Perhaps a supervisory role would be better suited to their imposing aesthetic design. Opening a tightbeam signal to all 001/x's in London 11-38 ordered them to ignore the Doctor and supervise the construction of the new Cyber Control.
    Protestation came, and in response 11-38 bypassed the security controls and directly accessed their memories. After deleting their original programming, 11-38 then transmitted the new orders and waited as each unit confirmed the transmission.
    "End communication."

Within seconds of contact, several of the smaller nations who lacked the neccessary means to suitably care for its people during the disasters had transmitted their surrender to 11-38. A note was logged and a signal sent to halt any storm in their territory. Cybermen in those areas were instructed to begin peacekeeping and restoration work (which involved securing any of the inhabitants who were superior specimens) immediately. Shipments of steel and iron were already en route.
    Minutes later came the first surrender from a first world country. The Australia's (comprising Australia, New Zealand and several smaller surrounding islands) said they would cooperate fully with the Cybermen.
    11-38 transmitted a report to CyberLeader1 and requested he take action.

Slowly but surely, Cybus Industries was going international... and no one would be able to stop it.

Invalid neural process. That was not true. Somewhere in the city of London, waiting for the opportune moment, was the anomaly. He was there, 11-38 knew it, but where was a different question.
    The idea of being defeated again began to take hold within 11-38's brain, before being promptly deleted.

TAG: anyone

OOC: One problem off your back. The 001/x things are now building, including the one above the heroes.

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: I'm sorry for my actions, and for my lack of participation over the holidays; I'd like to let this continue, if you are all willing to help me as a GM, and are willing to keep playing.

Now, when I say "help me", I mean that if you feel something is unfair, or difficult, please tell me. I'm more than willing to help revise posts, and am far more interested in a fun game than in a clear win/lose game.

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    pashatemur http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=pashatemur

Imperial Hammer http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=Imperial_Hammer

Mortimer Nerdly http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=Mortimer_Nerdly

Eme-ma himou http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=Eme-ma_Himou

Frag. Do I have to do everything? These are links to good players that you can invite to play the Doctor and perhaps, Rose. I have nothing, so you need someone else.

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    No, you don't have to do everything, and I never asked you to. I asked if you'd be willing to continue, and give me feedback.

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Fine. I won't do anything. You obviously have the matter in hand. =D=

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    There's no need for that.

13. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    OOC:

Easy boys. Sithy, please don't antagonise Peng in his own game, no matter how poorly run you feel it is. And Peng, don't force Sithy to continue if he does not want to. Sithy isn't a stratagiser, he's a comedian and a front lines kind of guy. I felt he would be a strong Doctor in the quick thinking sarcastic comedian side of the role, but once you put him into the position of insurmountable odds and planning on a global scale with nothing but a bunker full of rather useless materials and a sonic screwdriver, with a time bomb ticking over his head, you really put him into a spot where he could either pull something out of his ass, literally, or try and MacGuyver some impossible item, you really fragged him beyond belief.

And that's the truth. So you guys need to either work it out, or quit, either way you both need to be civil. Peng no flamming and Sithy, no baiting.

OK?

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: Sithy - I'm sorry for being a poor GM. I was hoping, ideally, to let this game run itself, given enough player interaction. Obviously, the players want something different, and my time constraints make this difficult. If players would like to continue, please post in the next two days, as I'll be shutting this mess down otherwise.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time.

15. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC:

I vote to continue the game.

16. Darth_Sadis

Jul 31, 2005
    Me too... but then again thats only one team voting yes.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    DVC summarised perfectly what I was trying to say. I wasn't intending to bait anyone.

I vote that I extract myself from this game, but that it keeps going if possible.

18. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    OOC: I'm afraid that I no longer really want to participate in this game, something which has nothing to do with the GM but rather with the feeling that this game has lost its momentum.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm very sorry to those that wish to continue, but even if we did, there are very few people willing and able to play the roles needed.

I'll ask for this topic to be locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.