main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] Translation - 10th Doctor and Rose, and three syllables: "Bad Wolf Bay"

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by karebear214, Jan 21, 2012.

1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Title: Translation
    Author: karebear
    Characters: The Doctor (10), and Rose
    Standard Disclaimer: I don't own these characters or the world they inhabit. The TARDIS opens all the doors to a huge sandbox. I'm just along for the ride.
    Summary: "Same old life," he tells her, but he's lying. My take on the Doctor's goodbye scene with Rose from Doomsday.
    Notes: "Bad Wolf Bay" still makes me cry. After listening to Don Henley for completely unrelated reasons, I had to rewatch the scene and write this. Even though I'm sure it's been done before.

"He'll grow up to be a fighter, full of anger, full of shame
    Like all the other haunted children who wonder why they came
    And he'll be in and out of trouble until he stands up or he falls
    But there will always be a shadow there, no matter how it goes
    Damn it, Rose"

- Don Henley

He can't touch her.

He can't touch her and she can't touch him and it matters. It matters in a way it never ever has before because...

"I'm burning up a sun, just to say goodbye," he tells her.

And he can see on her face that she understands what this means, he will break all of the laws of the universe for her.

He will rip himself away from her to keep her safe.

But it hurts.

It hurts him and it hurts her.

There are tears in her eyes, and he can't wipe them away. He can't take her away, or take away her pain, not anymore. That world of laughter and distraction is lost to them now.

He travels the whole of time and space but he can't change this. He doesn't want to. "Here you are. Living a life, day after day. The one adventure I can never have."

"What are you gonna do?"

"I've got the TARDIS," he reminds her. The TARDIS that never dies, but neither does it cry.

He needs her, but he cannot have her, because he destroys everything he touches. And it makes him old and sad and hollow, but she fills him. "Same old life," he says, and wonders if she can hear it in his voice, the emptiness. "Last of the Time Lords."

It isn't the same.

How could it be the same, when he had her, and now he doesn't?

"You're alone," she insists, and her voice breaks, and she breaks, but he doesn't, because this is what being a Time Lord is.

Never stop. Never slow down. Never break.

"Never be alone," is the rule that Rose had added, repeating it over and over again, in words and actions and painted all across the universe.

"It's translated. Bad Wolf Bay."

Of course it is.

"Really though, Doctor. Tell me. Who are you?"

She asked, when they first met. She cared, and if he'd ever known what that was like, he'd forgotten it.

He couldn't tell her though. He'll never answer that question. The answer he'd given her hadn't satisfied either of them, not even then, at the beginning.

"I'm left traveling on my own, because there's no one left."

"There's me," she'd replied immediately, putting her hand in his, not following, but running at his side, with the smile that made him lighter, made him trust and hope and believe again. Changing who he is, by being there.

There's that bit, that humans do, at weddings: "two shall become one." Is that what they are? Is that what this is?

"I love you," she cries, as the seconds tick by, and he can feel them, beating in his two hearts, because that too is what a Time Lord is.

"I suppose, if it's my last chance to say it..."

There is not enough time. There is not enough time and he knows it more concretely than she will ever be able to understand.

"Rose Tyler -" he says, knowing that those three syllables will fill the only space he has.

He could fill the emptiness with three other syllables, the ones she wants, but he won't do it, because how cruel would that be?

To give her that, and then fade away.

No.

He can disappear, to wander, alone and empty, but she can't, and she shouldn't.

He will not do that to her, never.

So he simply says her name, and hopes that it's enough.

He leaves her crying, and in the shadow of a dying star he cries too, and their grief resonates

2. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    that was such a moving moment in the series ...
    well captured =D=

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This was so incredibly lovely - the perfect way to put this scene into words. =D=

I love how short and terse your writing is - every syllable seemed to be carefully chosen, and each detail packed a powerful punch.

And this:

"I love you," she cries, as the seconds tick by, and he can feel them, beating in his two hearts, because that too is what a Time Lord is.

Oh, but that was beautifully put. [face_love]

Really, amazing job with this. =D=

~MJ @};-

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so beautiful! And very sad. (I feel like I say that a lot about your writing :p ) I love it!

5. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    "What's good about sad?" "It's happy for deep people." :)