main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    OK I know Justin is watching the new show, and loving it just as much as I am, anyone else?

It's on CBC at 8:00 every Tuesday.

The new Doctor fits right in, the tardis is still the tardis, and the Doctors companion is...well...beautiful. She reminds me of Sarah Jane from the Tom Baker years.

Justin and I are stumped over the revelation that the Doctors home world and it's race are all dead. Something happened that is yet to be revealed.

Only complaint...no cliffhanger episode endings. That, IMO, was a big part of the original series. It made you want to come back for the next episode.
    The show now runs like the x-files/twilight zone/smallville style. Intro>plot>climax>happy ending.

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    While the episodes seem to be complete stories, as opposed to being 4 parts or more, I did notice that the second episode picked up right at the end of episode 1. See if that happens with 3. If so, then its going to be a slightly different continuity to the story lines.

Yeah seemed odd he was sad about the destruction of Gallifrey while watching the Earth get destroyed, knowing that its relative, just go back in time again and there was the Earth all fine.

Unless Gallifrey was destroyed in all times at once? Hrm. My guess is its the Daleks. A bit of foreshadowing perhaps for the nastiest villains in the Who-niverse.

3. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    It's on CBC at 8:00 every Tuesday

I'm going to have to try and catch it.

4. Jedi_Squire

Jedi_Squire Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    I have to say that I am kind of hooked on it now.
    I have seen a few of the older episodes and thought that they were okay, but I did not figure I would like the new show as much as I do.

My guess about the Doc's homeworld is that there is some kind of agreement from the war concerning changing that particular detail in time. Maybe if he does go back and save it that action would result in something very bad for the rest of the universe.
    Just my thoughts.

5. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Hmmmm, I have heard so much about this now (Have never seen Dr.Who in my life) I will do my very best to catch it on Tuesday night so perhaps I can make sense of what everyone is talking about 8-}

6. Dalponis

Dalponis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    Ok, we all heard all the doctor, who? jokes before, so post them elsewhere.

So I'll say for everybody here,
    "Move along, move along."

:)

7. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Dr Who scared me so much when I was little that I've stayed away from anything concerning the series. I didn't know there was a new series at all. I'll try to watch an episode, but usually I'm asleep when it's on...

8. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    From the CBC website...

Doctor Who Ratings Success

Doctor Who off to a strong start in Britain and in Canada

The first episode of the new series of Doctor Who, Rose, made it into the top ten programmes for that week in Britain, getting final numbers of 10.6 million viewers. Overnight ratings for the second episode The End of the World continued to win its time-slot in Britain garnering overnight ratings of 7.3 million on April 2nd, with video-recording numbers to be added later expecting to push the numbers closer to the 8 million mark. With warmer weather and British ?summer time? hours causing total viewership for British television to decline across all channels (indeed numbers were also down for Doctor Who?s competition in that timeslot). The 7.3 million figure is a great one, and Doctor Who won its time slot by a wide margin and garnered a 36% audience share, making it the highest rated programme once again on Saturday.
    In Canada, Doctor Who had strong ratings for its first episode with Tuesday?s Canadian premiere on CBC garnered 986 000 viewers. This is an excellent rating for a show on CBC, and indeed for non-American dramatic programming. Doctor Who was #2 in the 8pm-9pm timeslot for all national broadcasts and was the #4 national show in primetime on the night after Amazing Race (3.1 million) (CTV 9pm) , American Idol (2.5 million) (CTV 8pm) and Law and Order: SVU (1.3 million) (CTV 10pm).

9. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Sweet!

That means its a good possibility that we will see many seasons :)

10. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I've seen both episodes and plan to keep watching them.

My only question is, since the doctor has already quit, were they able to write that in yet or not? Or will he suddenly just change appearance?

Hmm....

Anyway, I think the Dr. had gone through a "Groundhog" day situation where he tried going back in time to save his planet, however every time he did he screwed up (Sort of like this guy{I don't recommend watching if you havn't seen any episodes of RedvsBlue to this point, or you will be lost.})

11. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Screwed up?

Is that a subtle joke referring to his sonic screwdriver? :p

Just as a clarification. The actor didn't quit. Apparently it was in his contract from start that he would only do one season.

In fact the BBC had to print an apology about the erroneous press release they did saying he was afraid of being typecast.

I believe they've announced his replacement already.

12. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Who's Dr. Who going to be replaced by?

Ooooh. New episode tonight!

13. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    The Tenth Doctor

Tonight had more hints about the death of Gallifrey, the Doctors home planet. The mention of the "time war" was very interesting.

14. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

The episode was great. I really liked the idea of the gas ghosts (hrm. I'm not refering to the type of gas from beans). Zombies, great costumes, ghosts, Dr. Who. All around good episode. Now I can't wait til next tuesday.

15. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm with Tessa

Having never seen the show, or any show of the Dr.Who Series, I have to say that I quite enjoyed it.

Those Gilfs are nasty little buggers eh?

16. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

You've never seen the show Bay? Well the good thing about the Doctor is that you can start watching and not be completely lost.
    I've been VHS'ing the episodes. You can borrow it sometime.

17. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Thanks Tessa!

Yup, Never watched the show in my life, and your right, I didn't feel lost at all. I liked the Doctor, I found him very clever and extremely likeable.

18. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    I have to endure all the old episodes all the time, which are just terrible, but I must say I am enjoying this new series. It's not as good as 24, but then again it's on Canadian television.

19. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Finally...a cliffhanger ending!!!!!!

Is it just me or does the Doctor tell someone to "shut up" every episode? It's fine though...each time is funnier than the last.

20. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Well... I just downloaded 1 & 2... good stuff!... I miss the scarf... *sigh*

21. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

What a cliff hanger. I think I through an ewok at the televison. I hate being left hanging like that.

22. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    What's worse than a cliffhanger ending?

The bit afterwards saying "Next week on Doctor Who" And they bloody show you that they'll be alright. I know they'll be alright, I don't need to SEE it until next week! Gah!

23. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    I haven't watched the last 2 weeks yet (C3/Work)

Maybe I should wait until Tuesday so I don't have to wait that long for the conclusion

24. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    There is a new Doctor Who DVD coming out soon...

Doctor Who: The Leisure Hive

It may be a bit early yet (due to Kaitlyn being so young yet) but who wants to come over for a Doctor Who marathon?

Maybe we could have one on a night Kaitlyn is at Opa and Omas. Have to see what the "boss" says.

My DVD list...

The First Doctor - William Hartnell 1963-1966
    Doctor Who: Lost in Time (The William Hartnell Years)
    Doctor Who: The Aztecs
    Doctor Who: The Dalek Invasion of Earth

The Second Doctor - Patrick Troughton 1966-1969
    Doctor Who: Lost in Time (The Patrick Troughton Years)
    Doctor Who: The Tomb of the Cybermen
    Doctor Who: The Seeds of Death

The Third Doctor - Jon Pertwee 1970-1974
    Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space
    Doctor Who: The Three Doctors
    Doctor Who: Carnival of Monsters
    Doctor Who: The Green Death

The Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker 1974-1981
    Doctor Who: The Ark in Space
    Doctor Who: Pyramids of Mars
    Doctor Who: The Robots of Death
    Doctor Who: Talons of Weng-Chiang
    Doctor Who: The Ribos Operation
    Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
    Doctor Who: The Stones of Blood
    Doctor Who: Androids of Tara
    Doctor Who: The Armageddon Factor
    Doctor Who: The Power of Kroll

The Fifth Doctor - Peter Davison 1982-1984
    Doctor Who: The Visitation
    Doctor Who: Earthshock
    Doctor Who: The Five Doctors Special Edition
    Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks
    Doctor Who: The Caves of Androzani

The Sixth Doctor - Colin Baker 1984-1986
    Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos
    Doctor Who: The Two Doctors

The Seventh Doctor - Sylvester McCoy 1986-1989
    Doctor Who: Remembrance of the Daleks
    Doctor Who: The Curse of Fenric

The Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann 1996
    Doctor Who: The TV Movie

The Doctor Who Film Collection
    Doctor Who and the Daleks
    Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.
    Dalekmania

25. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Oooo! Do it on the 14th! I might be able to convince my crew to go to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.