main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Would it hurt scifi channel at all if they brought it to there channel.

I want to see this show. And of all things Canada gets it but we dont.

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Canada gets it because of the BBC and the fact it is popular. I don't think it is too popular in the US.

3. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005

Actually a channel did purchase it in the states recently. Not sure which, or where they'll start showing it from, but it's coming to them.

You guys also get the DVD released in the states.

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Its on the CBC because the CBC is one of the producers. Check the credits.

I do hope there isn't a huge delay in the broadcast schedule just because of hockey! Its bad enough you can't even watch the news properly during playoffs, to mess up Dr Who would liklely get as much backlash as messing with Coronation Street!

5. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

That's why they're waiting til Hockey is over to show Doctor Who, so there isn't a backlash of viewers that are stuck watching "hockey night in canada" instead.

When hockey wasn't being played, Doctor Who was the most watched show on CBC (that's bloody amazing!). And it was I believe either the third or the forth most watch program on cable (it made it in the top five). Heck even the head of the CBC loves Doctor Who.
    But in canada it will get shoved aside for hockey, just because that's what canadians seem to like. We'll have to wait til May to get even a taste unless you have the internet.

6. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    For those of us with US satalite systems...

SCI FI To Air New Doctor Who

SCI FI Channel announced Jan. 12 that it will air the first season of the BBC's hit SF series Doctor Who, starting in March. The 13 episodes, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, will air as part of SCI FI Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

The series, from head writer and executive producer Russell T. Davies, ran originally in the United Kingdom last year and was one of the network's biggest hits ever. An update of the classic Doctor Who show, the series continues in the U.K. with an upcoming second season that will star David Tennant as the Doctor.

"The Doctor's made all sorts of journeys in time and space, but this is one of his most exciting yet!" Davies said in a statement. "I'm a huge fan of the SCI FI Channel, and I'm delighted that Doctor Who is appearing on a channel that supports and enhances the entire genre."

"With its rich history of imaginative storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic," Thomas P. Vitale, SCI FI's senior vice president, programming and original movies, said in a separate statement. "We're excited to add the show to our lineup."

Meanwhile, BBC Video announced that it has moved the proposed U.S. release date of the Doctor Who first-season DVD set to July 4 from its originally planned February launch.

7. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

I really hope the DVD release doesn't get pushed, otherwise I'm getting some UK friends to start shipping me theirs (my dvd player can luckly handle all regions)

8. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Canada and UK getit the same time, just the US gets it later...

9. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

Get what?

The DVDs have already been released in the UK.

10. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    I heard Feb 14th its being released in Canada, I wasn;t aware it was released in UK yet...guess I'm not British :p

11. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

The date of the 14th of Feb (what a fantastic VDay) may be pushed.

And ya... live journal community. That's how I found out it was already released in the UK. The community is filled with Brits who all bragged to the Canadians on the list about their early release date across the pond.

12. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Maybe, but as far as teh sources say, we are not having the same release date as the US. The Network is waiting till after they air teh season there. We already had it so the season will be coming to us first ;)

13. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

They may try to delay our release so no one from the states ends up getting the DVDs early (due to regional coding).

Oh! And Torchwood got delayed in filming! boo! They were set to start this month, but it's getting pushed to spring/summer time

14. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002

15. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

*cheers*

What a perfect valentines day! :D

16. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    For our U.S. brothers and sisters...

The first season of the New Doctor Who series is now playin on the Sci-Fi channel. The first two episodes were on this past Friday night, but they are playing again on Sunday at 11:30pm.

17. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    I caught it on Friday, but I haven't finished the second episode yet. Overall I think it's an interesting premise. Not sure if I like it as much as thre regular Sci Fi Friday shows, but I'll definately be watching it probably for the rest of the season; besides, now that SG-1, Atlantis, and BSG are over, I'll need some sort of sci-fi fix to fill my friday evenings :p.

18. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Just picked up "The beginning" box set from 1963 (just released today). Can't wait to pop it in and see how it all started.

19. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

Ooo! April 15th the new series starts in the UK. Can't wait!

20. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

2 Days left til it airs! (sadly not in Canada).

I've been grabing every little media bit about Doctor Who lately. So excited.

21. assetic

Sep 5, 2005
    Care to see a Doctor Who Season Two preview? (spoiler heavy):

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=18FZTAQ6G4CJD2M3XXB2R9BZXW

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Oh only about 20 hours until new Dr Who....I think....rather late here and been writing essays all day so brain is a little fried :p

23. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

This will basicly make make Easter Weekend :D

24. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    2 hours and counting [face_dancing]

Oh yes, especially as nothing is normally on tv when there are bank holidays so I think pretty much everyone I know is waiting for Dr Who to come on tv.

btw, when does it air for you guys?

25. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Just finished watching the first episode and omg is it good.

And may I just say....David Tennant wet?!?!?! :eek: [face_love] [face_mischief] [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.