main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I dunno how they're doing it, but the BBC has made the new Doctor Who so good it's like sci-fi crack.

I sit there rubbing my hands impatiently on Sundays to get hold of the next episode.

I'll be mostly discussing the latest episode in this post, but I hope this thread will be about going back and looking at other Doctor Who episodes as well. We are multi-fandom after all.

But this season, damn it's good! And each episode just seems to be even better than the last one!

We're up to Episode 5 of the second season (or Season 28, if you're Old School), Rise of the Cybermen.

My jaw was on the floor for the first five minutes. In that we see the birth of these "Cybermen" and the death of the TARDIS. I've read about how a TARDIS can die, it was pretty much how I imagined it.

Lots of great character stuff going on in this episode. I loved the links with the past again (International Electromatix in this instance) and the Torchwood references just keep on coming. And once again, Peter Tyler is one of the nicest guys in the multiverse. And possible one of the smartest.

That'll do for the moment. I'm sure BBN will be along eventually to squee over this as well.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Hah I think you might have masked that spoiler a bit better had the font been the same colour as the highlighted area :p

Damn I wish I had time to sit down and watch this stuff :oops: All in good time I guess, all in good time...

3. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Sounds great! I'll have to catch up with these eps some time :D

4. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    This season has been brilliant so far. For several weeks there we'd get an incredible episode, only to have it topped the next week. This trend stopped with yesterday's story, if only because the previous week's, Girl in the Fireplace, was near the peak of storytelling perfection.

Rise of the Cybermen was a very interesting setup. I can't wait to see how it pays off next week. It was also bizarre seeing Owen from The Vicar of Dibley as a villain. (I know he's had plenty of other roles, but he'll always be the sleazy farmer with the farting duck to me.)

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!111!!ONE

It's just so brilliant. The Girl In The Fireplace is currently sitting in the top spot for me, but I will not be surprised if it gets knocked off later in the season. I'm pretty light on spoilers, so I don't know a huge lot about what's coming after next episode, but my GOD I'm looking forward to it.

I'd actually had some doubts about how the Cybermen were going to work, but I was really pleasantly surprised at the angle they took with them. "Human.2", mandatory updates and 'deleting' incompatible 'software'. The Cybermen themselves looked way cool, and I loved how the Doctor described them: "All emotions taken out." "Why?" "Because it hurts." Love the development of Micky's character too. And what I'm really wondering is that if Rose and Mickey have a temptation and something to go home to in the parallel universe, what if the Doctor does too? Were the Time Lords destroyed everywhere? :eek:

Really really really looking forward to next week's episode. Oh man.

EDIT: Just want to add 2 things. I was so proud of myself when I got the International Electromatics reference. Man I'm a geek. :p

And second, 3 words, people: DOCTOR. WHO. MARATHON. You all know you want it.

6. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Am I missing something? Not showing on the aABC was it and I've been missing it without realising it? Or are you lot being Pirates? Arrrrggghhh Shiver me timbers! :p

7. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Sure... if you have about five years.

8. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I meant specifically the new series, but I'm all up for throwing a smattering of the old stuff in there. Now that Genesis of the Daleks is out on DVD, I'm very keen to see it again.

9. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, presumably we'd ignore the first 42 years and start with "Season One" from 2005.

I think I speak for Tim as well when I say the only mandatory classic episode would be Planet of the Spiders Part 2 - you know, That Doctor Who Episode That's Really Just One Big Hovercraft Chase. It also contains what is arguably one of the finest "alien time traveller driving a hovercraft over a sleeping hobo" sequences of 1974.

The 1996 TV movie is also regarded as one of the franchise's finest moments.
    SPOILER: This is a lie.

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Okay, that link was weird.

Showing from the beginning of Season 1 2005/Season 27 would be easiest. It is the most accessable to a new audience. There was a great old article in Mistfall called "Doctor Who for Virgins", debating which episodes to show to people who've never actually seen any Doctor Who.

'Genesis of the Daleks' is a good choice, as would be 'Remembrance of the Daleks'. I'd love to show the 'In the Beginning' boxset, which is 'The Unearthly Child', 'The Daleks' and 'The Edge of Destruction'. However, if you're not used to old British sci-fi, it'd look a bit wobbly by todays standards, and there are some things I just respect too much to MST3K my way through them.

Next Sunday can't come soon enough.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Sadly, I refuse to watch "The Daleks" again until someone invents a machine that can compress it down from its horrible 7 ponderous epiosdes into the 2 that its actual story is able to fill. It just goes on and on and on and on and on. Iconic, absolutely, and with great moments, but ye gods it needed to be trimmed.

It also contains what is arguably one of the finest "alien time traveller driving a hovercraft over a sleeping hobo" sequences of 1974.

Nay, THE best.

12. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I would totally be up for a Dr Who marathon! Tho, I am looking forward to seeing the new series so much! I'm on the edge of my seat! Tho, I have to get through this last essay before I can trully enjoy it, but I am looking forward to it!

13. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Darn straight - Marathons ahoi! [face_dancing]
    I too would be very much up for a marathon ~nods with grave seriousness~

14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Huzzah!!! Bring on the marathon! Sounds like it'll definitely be me, Magnus, Happy_Bob, L_C and Morgan, any other takers?

15. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Absolutely, give me a time and place ;)

16. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Just thought this the right place to thank Magnus for his fine contribution to my life. Loved the one with Giles in it! Oh and SARAH JANE!

ta :)

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Sarah Jane and K9. Almost makes me tear up thinking about it. Just beautiful. Wait till you see The Girl In The Fireplace, Kahlan, it's incredible.

18. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Sci-fi crack [face_hypnotized]

19. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm really looking forward to a season one marathon now, partly because I haven't seen a Ninth Doctor episode since David Tennant's debut. As I've said before, while I prefer Tennant as a Doctor, I like Eccleston more as an actor. That is, if given the choice between seeing either one in a new role, it would be Eccles all the way, baby. Which is why news of his lead role in a Prisoner remake is so intriguing.

On more generic Who discussion, my favourite episodes to date:
    (The majority are sentimental but generally optimistic tear-jerkers. Funny, that.)

1. Father's Day
    2. The Girl in the Fireplace
    3. The Doctor Dances
    4. The Parting of the Ways
    5. School Reunion

How about YOURS?

20. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    HOW can you not mention Dalek? That's... blasphemy!

21. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    You guys are raving about this "Girl in the Fireplace" episode...must be good eh :p Must watch these sometime

22. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Leaving off Dalek wasn't a decision I took lightly. The moment I started with "D", I I started thinking about the last two minutes of School Reunion. By the time my middle finger hovered over the "k" key, it was unbearable. I'm sorry! I... I just... I couldn't do it. The combined power of Sarah Jane and K9 was just too much. At any rate, the Daleks are already covered with Parting of the Ways, if in a more traditional exterminate-everything manner.

23. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Ahhh I just watched the Telly-movie whilst having a brief lie-down...

I love it, but at the same time it hurts my brain :oops:
    I'm no expert on continuity, but ahh xO eye of harmony ~brain turns to mush~

Oh my very vulnerable head! xO

24. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    *ahem*

The Eye of Harmony...

Nah, I'll save that lecture for another time. The short version? "Omega Did It".

Let me just say, with the current series, the old Eye of Harmony left many a fan scratching their head wondering how the TARDIS actually worked these days. The Doctor kind of explained it in Rise of the Cybermen, but it was only an offhand comment.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

25. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    eh, I was under the impression that the Eye of Harmony was something that was on Gallifrey [face_thinking] and how the heck it ended up on a type-40 with malfunctioning cloaking device...

But I'm not lookin for a lecture leastways ;P Let the thread continue it's non-lecturey tone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.