main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Through Shada and the character of Professor Reg Chronotis, we know the Dirk Gently and Doctor Who universes are linked. Through The Christmas Invasion, we know The Doctor has also met Arthur Dent.

Does this mean there's an in-continuity explanation for Davison appearing as a pig?

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
  3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    The standard BBC Puffery, but it does give us images of the New Sontarans.

Squat? Check.

Ugly? Check.

Militaristic? Check.

They'll do :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Well blast, you beat me to it. Guess I should have been paying more attention.

I don't know if I'm convinced by the new Sontaran, but he will do. Maybe I'm just too fond of the Time Warrior/Sontaran Experiment Sontarans... :p There's just something about him that makes him look that little bit disproportionate though... [face_thinking]

5. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Not really sure about the look of the armour, and not a fan of the pointy, stick-outy ears, but he looks pretty good in general. I'm sure they'll look much better on the screen.

6. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Incidentally, I was sorting through my holiday snaps today when I stumbled upon this one from the Louvre. Who would have thought Sontaran meddling in human affairs stretched back to pre-Greek times?

[image=http://www.thatchickensite.com/misc/alastair/pics/sontaran.jpg]

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    The Time Warrior. I rest my case.

Oh, I thought that was just an expression. Case closed.

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Teehee :)

Looking around Anneke Wills site this morning and there's a bunch of pictures of her in the TARDIS after being invited to visit after last years CiN special. I feel an odd urge to go to Outpost Gallifrey and start spreading rumours that Polly will be back in 2008 :p Maybe if I get really bored.

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    What the Doctor was really saying in his message to Martha...

Heh.

In other news, The Key to Time is pure, blessed nostaligia in a pretty and deceptively simple box. So far I've gotten through The Ribos Operation and The Pirate Planet and they've held up remarkably well.

Highlights so far:

Mary Tamm as Romana [face_whistling]

Douglas Adams dialogue. Every blessed line of it.

Tin dog versus cyber-death parrot.

Garron and Unstoffe; a classic Robert Holmes double act

What will happen to the Doctor if he doesn't undertake the mission? "Nothing. Ever."

Mr. Fibuli!

The Fourth Doctor actually losing it and screaming at a villain over the horror they've caused.

The Fourth Doctor saying "Fantastic!"

Next is The Stones of Blood, which is a wonderfuly Hammer-esque piece until about halfway through when everyone ends up on a space ship. I personally can't wait to get to The Androids of Tara, my personal favourite amongst these stories. And yes, that's only cos of the swordfight.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

10. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I was looking at the box set in the ABC shop yesterday but managed to resist, but damnit, I think you just sold it to me.

My favourite part of Stones of Blood was the part where the Doctor pulls from nowhere one of those fluffy lookin' barrister wig-magigs and sets it on top of his already fluffy hair in preparation to defend himself in the high court of Judge Tinkerbell his computerised pixie (or pixitron) associate (No doubt the sparkliest beings in a court of law since Eric Idle).

In an unrelated note, I'm sure that space ship model has taken tea-strainers in its making. [face_thinking]

11. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    New Companion??

From The Sun, sprinkle salt until satisfied. Makes no sense to me, and the article's title is bizarre too.

In other news, Time Crash is this weekend.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    *snerk* For some reason I have to giggle when anyone says something along the lines of "The sun says..." in a perfectly serious tone.

In other news, Time Crash is this weekend.

Glee! I can't wait [face_dancing] [face_love]

13. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Time Crash

It's good. Cute, whimsical and touching fun. David Tennant's just geeking out the whole time; essentially writing a love letter to his Doctor :D Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Youtube is failing me. I can't find the damn thing. Guess it's back to my original plan for acquisition... [face_thinking]

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh am I a sentimental old sap or what - that had me all teary-eyed. [face_love]

16. Lord_Zerebin

Lord_Zerebin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2006
    I definately enjoyed Time Crash.

17. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    The Confidential video for this is up as well on YouTube. Essentially just the creators and David Tennant geeking out even further.

Oh, Time Crash itself is here. My apologies for not posting it earlier, I was in a rush.

I did love this. Peter Davison is my Doctor, so I doubt I'll be coming off this giddy high all week :p

I'll refrain from geeking out and talking continuity and the like, but I will say this; Steven Moffat re-explored some of the themes of Doctor Who here like he did in Curse of Fatal Death, which I did sort of expect, but not in such a charming fashion.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

18. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    The recycled element that stuck out for me? It has the same "punchline" as Blink. Luckily it's a very good one, repeated very consciously, and it takes on an issue that's been bugging me for years: the Doctor remembering his self-encounters second/third/fourth time around.

The Doctor having a favourite Doctor? Brilliant. In a weird way, he's one of us.

It's fun and genuinely touching. Exactly what Doctor Who should be. Quite an achiement for a single eight-minute scene.

19. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    What?
    WHAT?
    WHAT!!!

To open the scene, and:

What?
    WHAT!

To close.
    Genious.

...wonder if he'll bump into the OTHER Jack and Rose?

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
  21. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Spoilers a-go-go in the following links...

Did the tabloids actually get it right??

I'm highly dubious, but this does add some credence to those rumours we heard a while back.

And there's meant to be a press release in the next 24 hours or so too. Hmmm.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

22. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It is indeed confirmed.

Not really hugely thrilled about this. I really like Rose, but this just smacks of more of the over-the-top excess that's been creeping into the last 2 season finales. They've deliberately been focussing on single companions for the whole new series, with good reason and to excellent effect for the most part. Suddenly jumping up to three, plus whoever else inevitably comes out of the woodwork for the final battle? Ehh...

I mean, I'm sure it'll be fun. I really do like Rose a lot, and it'll be great to see her back. But trotting her out again really undermines the whole "walls of reality closed" thing, the finality of what happened at the end of Doomsday, rifts shut and travel between universes made impossible once more. Yes yes, this is sci-fi, this is Doctor Who, no one's ever really dead, or really trapped in a parallel universe or whatever, but... It just feels like a stunt. Especially after such a short time. "Guess who's back, kids!"

In other, related news, I have turned into a crotchety old man no longer able to perceive fun in anything. :p

23. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Yes I saw that on the Brisbane fanclub boards yesterday and was all prepared to knock it back as hearsay til I saw the BBC news link. *grumbles*

Rose was fun, but yeah - bringing her back far lessens the impact of her end. She's gone - just let her "rest in peace" instead of dropping a mention of her every few episodes because the Doctor is not nearly angsty enough despite having his planet and people destroyed. Rargh!*

Welcome to the club of crotchety fans BBN, you'll note we have these lovely tailored jackets. :p Around 3 in the afternoon we all take time to polish our monocles and yawn in distain whilst continuing a discourse about "kids these days."

* It may be noted that I am on most occasions a cranky morning person and probably haven't completely thought my post through.

24. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Ooh, we do look dapper in this getup, don't we? *Dons Crotchety Fan Hat and doffs it to passers-by*

I hadn't even thought about the inevitable sparks between Rose and Martha. Perhaps I was trying to suppress the very thought, terrifying as it is. Just please please please promise me that they aren't going to push the romantic tension angle with Donna too. That would be more than I could take. Ye gods.

25. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I can imagine the Doctor responding with absolute revulsion. "Eww. No."

They've said on no uncertain terms that Martha will be over her silly Doctor infatuation. She'll return as a qualified doctor in an existing relationship.

I actually like the news, probably because I'm slightly iffy about Catherine Tate. An ensemble cast could be a fun way of shaking things up. John Barrowman has spoken of returning in season four too. Sounds like there could be some truth to these crossover finale rumours... but we've shared our hopes and fears on that in this thread already. (To recap, I'm cautiously optimistic.)

I do agree that it's too soon to revive a "dead" character. Futurama worked around the sci-fi cliche of time travel by making it very difficult to achieve. Hopefully Rose's return will be under similarly special circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.