1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (11th-13th November), Adelaide (18th-20th November)

Oz Comic Con: 2017

FF:QLD Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    Now I'm hoping the tabloids have it right.

The Sun are printing all of the above, plus this [link=http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEkkEEFFAuAqQwEsENH]extra morsel[/link].

And The Sun reported today that one of the specials would be a "flashback" tale that would feature the return of Paul McGann to the role of the Doctor, which he played on screen only once, in 1996. "Fans loved Paul?s Doctor and feel he was never given the proper chance to shine. Reference is often made to the Time War which wiped out the Time Lords and this will give them a taste of that," The Sun's source revealed.

According to the story, flashback scenes will see him battered from the Time War and shorn of the long hair he had in the 1996 TV film.

Yes. I know. It's The Sun.
    Still, I'd gladly sit through the return of Donna, The Master, The Doctor's Daughter, the Slitheen and the witches from K-9 and Company if it means a Time War flashback starring McGann.
  2. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Now there's a rumour a dude can get behind.
  3. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Man, if only The Sun wasn't so often spinning horrible lies... I really, really want that to be true. [face_praying]
  4. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    If this isn't in store as a Lust Huzzah from RTD, something tells me we're likelier to see this happen with Moffat as a showrunner.

But then, I'm not sure it's physically possible for the universe to be that good to Doctor Who.
  5. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan

star 4
    My thoughts on such a thing happening are well known, so I won't make the almost Pavlovian Response at this point.

However, I concur with HB; if not now, then more likely when the next production team takes over.

Was actually discussing the Tenth Doctor's tenure with a friend the other night, and it was interesting to hear how bitter he was getting at David Tennant. Admittedly there was a bunch of "I want to be him" mixed in there, but some of his criticisms of the Doctor's character and storylines were justifiable. I'll save it from here before we descend into an Outpost Gallifrey style Hell (I wonder if there's an Obscure Chinese Hell that resembles that...oh wait, now I've thought of it, it probably DOES exist...) but it'd be worth hearing other people's thoughts the next time we're all sitting down in the Real World and there's a bottle of something in front of us.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  6. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I wouldn't pin any of those problems on David Tennant, since he's routinely excellent regardless of how schizophrenic the material they give him on a day-to-day basis is. The problem is with the writing, or more specifically the inconsistency of the writing. The show has never seemed to quite know what it wants to be and where it lies along the spectrum between The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood.
  7. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    [link=http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1770729.ece]Patrick Stewart to play the Meddling Monk in season 5?[/link]

It's from The Sun (where else?), so there's an exactly 50-50 chance of it being 100% correct or utter bunk, just like all the other rumours they spread. But hey, if it is true, can I get a hell yeah?
  8. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well it connected all the right dots; Tennant and Stewart are theatre contemporaries, Stewart is a huge sci-fi fan (he once tried to get the actor who played Sgt. Benton back in the day a guest role on TNG, but it fell through due to work visa requirements) and would do a show like Doctor Who.

The Meddling Monk had a good run of stories in the New Adventures; if they did adapt that storyline it could be very cool.

So, if it does turn out to be true, HELL YEAH!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  9. Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    oooooooooo

I'm hell yeahing. Mr Stewart in anything is worth a watch..or a listen.
  10. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    You sound like my mum, K. She goes nuts for Captain Picard's voice too. :p
  11. Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh god..

I refuse to go see Andre Rieu though.
  12. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    The newest tabloid rumour, even more so than the others, sounds like [link=http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EkkFlkAFyAVsoDLApv&tmpl=newsrss&style=feedstyle]utter bunkum[/link]. But it's fun to speculate just how they could get away with calling upon a maturer Tom or Colin Baker.
  13. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan

star 4
    But it's fun to speculate just how they could get away with calling upon a maturer Tom or Colin Baker.

No it's not! Cos of three little words: Dimensions. In. Time.

Unless of course they do it as an animated feature, like The Infinite Quest.

Heh, geeky thought of the day: animate that 10 Doctors comic strip. Kids would never get it, but they'd sure enjoy it!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  14. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm too terrified to entertain any morbid curiosity about Dimensions in Time. I fully expect you to appear out of nowhere and tackle me in rage before I can even press "enter" on a YouTube search.
  15. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I *would*, but not with my current back pain. Let's just *say* I would in any other ordinary circumstance, and that way you won't click on any link to it and give yourself brain damage, I won't cripple myself further, and in reality we can head off down to the pub for half an hour :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  16. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    A source more reliable than ths Sun reports: [link=http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEkkVFEuVVFrlZBFnTd]David Tennant to leave Who?[/link]

Interesting circumstances here. The Guardian reported it on their website, only to pull it after a few hours. It could be hiding an error, but of course, the Outpost Gallifrey types are talking of press embargoes.

Honestly, I have no problem with this idea. Don't get me wrong - Tennant is one of the worthiest actors to play the role, and I'd be delighted to see him stay as long as Tom Baker - but there's something to be said for a *complete* retool come 2010: new showrunner, new companion, new Doctor.

Edit: In the minutes since I started this post, it's been [link=http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/]confirmed[/link]. Wow.
  17. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Fair enough - I like Mr Tennant, but yes - I won't be that sorry to see him go. [face_thinking]
  18. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Time to blow the dust off this thread and crank it up once more!

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2008 - The Next Doctor

It's funny now I think of it, but in all these years not one of you has asked my first name...It's Mercy.

The TARDIS lands in London on Christmas Eve, 1851 (good year, bit dull), and as the Doctor starts to take in the Dickensian atmosphere, a woman screams out for him.

Gleefully rushing off, the Doctor is confused when he finds that he wasn't the Doctor the woman was screaming for as something tries to break through a warehouse door. Another man turns up, announcing that he is The Doctor, and pulls out a sonic screwdriver to face whatever is behind the door as our Doctor does the same...

The Christmas Specials have consistently dropped in quality after the great The Christmas Invasion. Since then, the thought has been since it's Christmas, they don't have to try too hard. I'd kept my expectations low for this new special, especially after the woeful Ship of the Damned; I don't care how cute Kylie looked.

So I was pleasantly surprised with this. Sure, there's some overblown moments (London thanking the Doctor), there's drugs in the watersupply again, and the mood is sometimes spoiled by inappropriately jovial music, but this is an excellent Doctor Who story that just happens to be set at Christmas time.

David Tennant is The Doctor; what more is there to say? We'll miss him when he's gone. What he does here is something not done before; the Doctor being confronted by a future incarnation and actually reacting to that knowledge. It's done well.

The Next Doctor is a charming and endearing character, and his origin is both intelligent and tragic. The MacGuffin has been done before though, but the consequences here are much cooler.

For the old fans amongst us, could Jackson Lake be The Other? :p I know we've said previously that it's really Doctor Emmett Brown, but this could work too!

Miss Hartigan is an excellent villainess, managing to be a femme fatale in a hoopskirt, which is no easy feat. Dervla Kirwan once played the companion to another British Time Traveler, though I doubt many of you remember that :p

The return of the Cybus Industries Cybermen is handled well, and their plan is the standard Cyberman plan: Survive. The Cyber King was well realised.

Enjoyable story all up, with only minor (and well worn by this point) complaints. Bring on Planet of the Dead.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  19. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [link=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4094067/Casting-Matt-Smith-shows-that-Doctor-Who-is-a-savvy-multi-million-pound-brand.html]Doctor WHO???[/link]

New Doctor is... Matt Smith.
  20. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm a little dissapointed that they stuck with a younger looking Doctor. I was hoping for an older eccentric uncle kind of Doctor.
  21. DarthVaderStriker66 Jedi Youngling

The new doctor who looks quite un-doctor-like. David Tenant set such a high standard that the new one has a lot to live up to.
  22. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't know if it's that the standard is set so high, but standard or no, the fact of the matter is that Tennant has legions and legions of scary fan girls from this - and this guy will have to be fan-dabby-babulous to win the hearts of some of those fans who are still cranky for losing their favourite eye candy/fan fic victim. :p
  23. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I wouldn't say he's "un-Doctor-like." That's kind of the whole point; that anyone can play the part. I do get what you mean, though, but I don't think it's fair to judge him without a costume and a script. Still, track down a video of the interview he did for Doctor Who Confidential. Actually watching him talk made me feel much more positive about him, as do Stephen Moffat's comments. After some initial hesitation, I'm quite optimistic about the casting.

Did you watch the old series, Striker, or are you a newcomer to the show?
  24. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan

star 4
    fans who are still cranky for losing their favourite eye candy/fan fic victim.

I knew there'd be a silver lining to Tennant leaving if I looked hard enough :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  25. DarthVaderStriker66 Jedi Youngling

I've watched the old series, but I wouldn't say just anyone could fit the role successfully. Maybe I've grown too accustomed to Tennant, but I'm still skeptical about how Smith will turn out.

EDIT: OK, he seems a little bit better now that I've seen him in motion, but he still seems a bit off, and I don't know why.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.