1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (21-23rd November) | Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:QLD Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  2. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    OH Squee! :D

I want those in Classic.
  3. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I'm done with Season 4 - now someone needs to throw that new Doctor ep at me.
  4. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    I've dug up my little review .txt file for this series, and updated. It isn't much, but it's what I got. Some of them aren't spoilers at all, but the inconsistant tagging was hurting my head.

Partners in Crime

Holds up to a second viewing. Funny, only a little bit annoying, and made me realise that I actually kind of like Donna as a character. The adipose are rediculously cute for lumps of walking fat.

The Fires of Pompeii

Really, jolly good episode I thought. Kinda felt like some of the old classic episodes.

The Planet of the Ood

Can't say the Ood are my favourite aliens, but I'm all for psychic songs and all that jazz. Call it weird, but so far Donna is my favourite new series companion already.

The Sontaran Stratagem

As said, Sontarans, UNIT etc. I kinda miss the Brig though - he'd fit right into this story. Also miss the silver of the armour. Still, not bad.

The Poison Sky

Not sure how the igniting the atmosphere thing works, but I'll go along with it.

The Doctor's Daughter

I quite liked it, Jenny was cute, had potential, was a bit thrown when she woke up, gotta love that military issue eyeliner... It was fun, even if there was potential wasted.

The Unicorn and the Wasp

Well, the 1920s are fun - The cluedo references sort of did club one over the head, with a lead pipe, in the library... :p The Unicorn thread was woefully underused - it just felt so unimportant despite being part of the title. I don't really have a yay or meh oppinion about this one.

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

Pretty good - Libraries are always fun. As much as I do like sad things done well, the ending for Donna just seemed unnecessarily horrible. Done well enough, but goddamn depressing.

Midnight

Really, bloody good. Love that look of shame on the woman's face at the end, when she tells the doctor that she knew it was that Sky woman, even though he knew and she knew that she had been yelling for him to be thrown out the airlock all along.

Turn Left

Interesting - I liked the mundane choice affects worlds thing. *shrug*

The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

This was exhausting. I generally believe that this could have all been acheived without the Rose story line - she felt so unnecessary. I liked that there was no point where I was screaming in rage, but it was exhausting. There was too much going on. Donna's end was brilliant and well written, but at the same time I hated it because I didn't want to see her go. I didn't mind the Donna going crazy with technobabble and saving the day bit, because later my brain rationalised it as her brain on overload sort of being brilliant because her brain is burning up. The dalek spinning was a bit silly, but it was a bit of nice humour relief - maybe not great, but anything as a break from the emotional onslaught (That said, I'm generally susceptible to emotional manipulation from the telly programmes).

Guh, I'm wiped. Time for a nap, or a drink.
  5. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Doctor Who 30.15/4.14 - 'Planet of the Dead'

The worse it gets, the more I love it!

The Doctor finds himself in contemporary London around Easter, investigating a minor breach in the Space/Time Continuum.

As he tracks it while riding one of London's iconic double decker buses, an infamous thief on the run from the London police boards the bus as she flees from the scene of her latest crime. As the police form a cordon to trap the bus, it suddenly vanishes into the Space/Time breach the Doctor is investigating, depositing the bus and all of it's passengers onto an arid alien world...

Probably the most derivative Doctor Who story in a long time, but that doesn't stop it from being fun. This story did stumble twice, but we'll get to that. This is going be fairly continuity heavy as well, so I do apologise if I lose you.

David Tennant manages to play the Doctor a bit more mysterious than he has managed before, which is an interesting take on this incarnation. He's also much, much more bitter and almost as burnt out as his Ninth Incarnation when we first saw him at the beginning of the revived series' run. I do like the idea of the Doctor travelling by himself for an extended period of time (it worked for the Fourth, so why not the Tenth?), and we're not given any indication as to when this adventure takes place, sufficed to say after his last encounter with Davros.

Michelle Ryan's temp companion, Lady Catherine de Souza, is clearly a Lara Croft knock-off, but probably one of the better ones. She's also got some elements of Mary Tamm's Romana and Katie Manning's Iris Wildthyme in there as well (the flying bus helps with that last part). My attraction to Michelle Ryan aside, Catherine is actually a good companion with the kind of character traits that are useful for travelling 'round the space/time continuum, so it's a pity she wasn't kept on. Someone who'd potentially keep stealing the priceless relics whilst the Doctor is doing his thing would eventually get old, but it'd be a new twist on something like Leela, who wanted to stab everything that disagreed with her rather than just scream and run at the same time :p Additionally, keeping her around 'til beyond the introduction of the Eleventh Doctor would be interesting too, as the (visible) age discrepancy between the commanding older woman and the kind of callow youth who's clearly in charge would make for some different character interactions, but that's neither here nor there.

The other passengers on the bus (with the exception of the middle aged couple, more on them shortly) aren't really memorable, just regular folks who manage to pull together for a crisis and cope remarkably well; there?s a reason that the Doctor recommends Nathan and Barclay be sequestered into UNIT. Though that seems to be standard operating procedure for UNIT these days; find someone who survived an encounter with the Doctor, and then hire them :p

Speaking of UNIT, this seemed like a much better UNIT story than last year?s ?The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky?. Firstly, it answers the question of ?Who do you get to be UNIT?s Scientific Advisor when the Doctor (or Liz Shaw, frankly) isn?t around?? Doctor Malcolm Taylor is the right sort of fit for the job; an iconoclastic genius with proper doses of compassion. He also seems to come from the same scientific background as one Professor Bernard Quatermass, who is actually part of the Doctor Who Universe, but had his own problems to deal with whilst heading the British Rocket Group, and therefore couldn?t ever help out UNIT or its predecessor, the RAF?s Intrusion Counter Measures Group. One of you maybe has some vague idea about what I?m talking about with all that :p

Following on, Captain Magambo seems like a worthy Squad Leader from the get go; here?s someone who?s trained and operated in the shadow of the likes of Gilmore, Lethbridge-Stewart, Yates, Benton and Sullivan and feels somewhat overawed by her situation, but handles it beyond competently, which is unsurprising consid
  6. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, unintentional double post
  7. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
  8. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    One of you maybe has some vague idea about what I?m talking about with all that

Guitly as charged, sir.

Malcolm?s declaration of love comes from the Russell T Davis school of ?The Doctor is AWESOME? writing; I?d have much preferred it if they played him as the Al Powell to the Doctor?s John McClain, but anyway?

I very much agree. Of the new series tropes I'm starting to get a little weary of, this one's the biggest. As with everything that I've taken issue with, the issue isn't the trope itself, just the frequency of use. "The Doctor is awesome, little Sally, tell your grandchildren stories of him" is great, but if it's done every single episode with a swelling orchestra in the background, it starts getting boring. Same with the hamfisted forshadowing. There was a lot to enjoy about this episode, though. The UNIT stuff rocked, I love that they've been brought back as an integral part of the new series after all that Torchwood malarky went belly-up. :p

I always feel like I'm moaning and belly-aching about Doctor Who, which irritates me no end because despite what I might write on these boards, I really really enjoy the show. It's just well and truly time for a shake-up, because its current groove is feeling a little tired. Very much looking forward to next year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.