main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Doctor's Silence - Sequel to "A New Path to Follow" - Completed February 7/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    So Padme brought it up- but I wasn't sure that Anakin was entirely convinced he was close to the dark side..... Hopefully his promise is not an empty promise.

2. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    leia_naberrie ? It?s not a problem that Anakin would risk everything to save her, it?s that he?d not only risk everything of his own, but to jeopardize their future is unacceptable ? which is what she?s getting at. The other point ? Padmé?s spent a lot of time with various Jedi over the last few years and it makes sense she?d be exposed to the philosophies with regards to their code and the dangers of powerful, dark emotions.

Tatooine_Ghost ? [face_blush] blush Thanks.

AnakinsFavorite ? Anakin?s very attuned to Padmé ? And I can?t take credit for the ?I?m broken? idea. It comes from a song called ?You?re gone? by Diamond Rio, and that was what I used as a basis for the entire conversation.

It?s one of my favorite songs wink

But, the conversation with the council is coming up very, very soon.

VA_Parky ? Tanks! Padmé?s got some issues that Anakin is going to have to work through. But they may not have the time with everything coming to a head so soon. Plus, Padmé chose her words carefully ? she wanted to make him think of different recourses instead of his anger ? trust me when I say things are going to get dicey from here.

VaderLVR64 ? Yup, they still have some issues, but with things coming to a head, will they have time to work through is more the question. And no worries about falling behind ? you?re a very busy person with how many stories you read and all of your own projects to work on.

randomangel22 ? Ah, Anakin may think about it, but do you honestly think reckless Anakin will listen? *grin*

mixza ? Yup, the Team to the rescue! Things get interesting from here with their secret now out in the open.

FitJedi ? Thanks. I wanted to have a really serious discussion about the darkside influences because it is the first time Padmé sees it in the story. And she has every right to be concerned. The council scene is coming up ? sooner than everyone thinks wink

jumpforjoy ? Yup, and the real question is now will their talk have an effect and change the direction of the impending nightmare or not.

obsessedwithSW ? Ah, that?s the question now isn?t it? Will Anakin take their talk to heart, or are they destined to be split? I?m not telling ? not yet anyway.

Jaded_Rose ? A reconciliation? Possibly. But not in the fashion everyone expects, I think. I think Padmé was always a strong character, only because the story is Anakin centric through all of the movies, she kind of gets the short end of the stick and is caught in the background. By doing things from her point of view, it displays her strength of character in a fashion that wasn?t really explored in the movies.

Daenarrah ? I know I for one wouldn?t care if Obi-Wan disapproved lol! Glad you liked it ? I wanted to show that Padmé, in this AU, understands better than before the risks Anakin is taking. I?m glad it added and didn?t distract from the story!

DragonLotus ? DRL has a way of sneaking in, doesn?t it? I?m glad you enjoyed it, I wanted to show what their bond together is strong; strong enough that Padmé holds a larger sway over Anakin in this than in the Movies. She?s still his reason for living, but she?s also his conscience in a fashion and makes him take a good look at himself.

-DarkScorpion- ? Welcome to my story, I?m flattered you?re enjoying it! You?ve been added to my list happy

Star_Angel ? Indeed, the question is now if he can keep his promise.

jedi_princess18 ? You?re right about that. Anakin doesn?t entirely believe that he was flirting with the darkside, but now that Padmé?s brought it up, he?s more likely to be extra cautious.

Thanks for reading everyone! I finished the story, so double updates until it?s finished! Updates to follow!

3. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Chapter 20

"Padmé!" Cordé's relieved greeting and enthusiastic hug on the landing pad were more than she'd expected. "Thank for the Force you're safe; we were so worried!"

Padmé returned the joyful embrace, holding her friend tightly. "I'm alright, I promise. It's good to be home."

Cordé pulled back, her expression worried as she darted her gaze deliberately downward in question. Padmé managed to smile. "They're fine. In fact, my abductors seem to have ensured everyone knows that particular tidbit."

Cordé's gaze flew to where Anakin stood behind his wife and her gaze grew sad. "Oh, Padmé - I'm so sorry!"

"Don't be." She replied, meaning every word. "It's in the open now so we no longer have to live a lie."

"But-"

Padmé shook her head, cutting Cordé off. "For better or worse the choice to return was mine, Cordé. I learned things the council needs to know about. I also learned..." she cast a look back at Anakin and Obi-Wan who were arguing in hushed tones in the shadows of the shuttle's ramp. "I also learned that they can't take my babies from me if I choose to keep them, despite their possible abilities."

"What about Anakin?" Padmé knew her face must have shown her concern because Cordé pulled her into a tight hug. "I'm sorry, Padmé. I hope things go the way you want them to."

"Me too."

"Now." Cordé pulled back. "I see you've not had a change of clothes or a bath in several days. That can't be good for the twins, we'll just get you cleaned up, fed and you'll feel a hundred times better."

"The Council has said-"

Cordé shot Obi-Wan a dark look as he dared to interrupt. "She's pregnant and recovering from the shock of her captivity, Master Kenobi. As the resident head physician until Doctor Naberrie's official return I'm prescribing a bath or shower, hot food and a few hours of sleep. Your precious council will just have to wait a few more hours to get their hands on her twins!"

Anakin chuckled darkly. "Listen to her, Obi-Wan. I think she might be tempted to skewer you on your own lightsaber if you don't."

"But, the council-"

"Can wait. End of discussion."

Cordé hustled Padmé off, leaving behind a shocked Obi-Wan and an amused Anakin. And she was as good as her word. Allowing Padmé the privacy of a shower with real water, Padm could hear her friend bustling about her room and smiled bemusedly, her eyes closed, as the water poured down over her body. It was warm, the first warmth she'd felt outside her husband's embrace since her captivity, and she took her time.

Cordé was gone, but Lana was waiting for her when she emerged, wrapped in a cloth robe, her feet encased in comfortable slippers. She was ushered into the comfortable chair that had been placed by her work station and Lana crouched, gently parting the robe to slip an instrument inside and against her abdomen.

Padmé watched as her neo-natal expert carefully took readings on the health of the twins with her instruments and, with a grin, finally looked up.

"Would you like to hear their hearts beat?"

"Really?"

Lana nodded, flicking a switch on the instrument. Two steady heart beats, working counterpoint one another as if to fill the void of noiselessness, were clearly audible and Padmé gasped. Her babies. Her babies heart beats.

"It's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard."

Lana whirled, the instrument falling away from Padmé's stomach. "Jedi Skywalker!"

Padmé placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. "It's alright Lana. Anakin's their father; and my husband."

Lana blinked as if she'd been punched, looking from where Anakin was gazing at Padmé tenderly to where Padmé's soft smile was all for him. Everything fell into place; Padmé saw the pieces click and Lana began to laugh. "You two... are very, very sneaky. Or careless if you intended to keep this marriage a secret."

"It had to come out sometime." Padmé extended her hand to Anakin and he joined her, grasping her fingers in his. "We always intended to have children."

"Just not in

4. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Chapter 21

She smoothed down the front of the no-nonsense maternity suit Cordé had managed to find for her, having added one of her lab coats to complete the outfit. Dressed in clothing she would feel comfortable working in, Padmé squared her shoulders as she stepped up to the main doors leading into the Council's chamber.

The doors opened and she waited, patiently, slipping one hand into the lab coat pocket. Anakin was nowhere to be seen and Padmé felt a sinking feeling start in her gut. Had they expelled him? Forbidden him to see her? Had he even seen them yet? She forced her heart rate to calm, taking a deep breath as she stopped the wild run of her thoughts.

She was a doctor; it was high time she started thinking like one!

With sure but slow steps she entered the Council Chamber. There was an immediate sense of being looked at with disapproving eyes and she straightened, her swollen belly proudly leading the way into the room. She'd made no efforts to hide it; at the stage she was in it would have been futile anyway.

She stopped, resting her still visible hand on the curve of her belly and gently rubbing to sooth the twins; they could feel the animosity directed at her. She didn't wait for any of the eight Masters present to speak; she focused on one and then another, her words calm. "I would appreciate if you would all control yourselves; you're disturbing the twins with your disapproval."

The Jedi Masters, as one, jerked as if pulled on strings and Padmé took over the conversation immediately, giving no one a chance to voice their opinions. "As you all know, I was held captive by General Grievous for over a month. Six weeks to be exact. During that time I was exposed to a minimal knowledge of their fleet, inner workings and their membership. I was not permitted to attend their meetings, but was checked regularly to ensure that my twins were in good health. I was permitted no contact with the outside barring one transmission. The Chancellor Palpatine was permitted to contact me. It was shortly after this that I discovered he was the Master Grievous spoke of the last time he encountered Obi-Wan and Anakin."

Any animosity that had been coming off the council disappeared to be replaced by shock. Padmé managed not to smile. So far, so good. "I also learned that he is aware of my condition and that I am carrying twins. Jedi Twins. Anakin is their father."

"Skywalker!"

"Outrageous!"

"Expel him!"

Padmé pinned each of the outspoken Masters with a cold look. She was in no mood to deal with their petty dislike of her husband. "Perhaps if you can stop calling for his blood, I will explain to you the ulterior motive behind my capture."

The Masters fell silent and Padmé noted for the first time that many of the Masters she was used to were gone, replaced with younger, more inexperienced Jedi. Her heart contracted painfully. There'd been more losses, irreversible losses, since her capture. "Thank you. Before you cast Anakin out, I would ask that you consider this. He is whom the Chancellor is after. Palpatine is a Sith Lord in search of an apprentice and has his sights set on Anakin - or his children. Separating us now would surely mean disaster for one party or both."

Mace and Yoda, who had remained silent through much of her speech, exchanged looks. Shaak Ti and Ki-Adi-Mundi did the same, but it was Shaak Ti who addressed her. "Attachments are forbidden to Jedi, Doctor Naberrie. What you have us do? Allow Jedi Skywalker to walk away unpunished?"

Padmé smiled faintly. "What do you suggest for punishment, Master? Exile? Banishment? Solitary reflection? I know all of these are used to some extent and I know, and he knew, what the consequences would be when we set out on this path. But things are not black and white. Anakin is not the only Jedi with 'attachments' - several of you Masters have done the same."

"Accusations without grounds these are, Doctor. Overstep your bounds, do you."

Padmé turned to Yoda and smiled again. "Do

5. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    First post? [face_whistling]

"But, the council-"

"Can wait. End of discussion."

Cordé hustled Padmé off, leaving behind a shocked Obi-Wan

You give him Hell, Corde. :D

There was an immediate sense of being looked at with disapproving eyes and she straightened, her swollen belly proudly leading the way into the room.
    Oh stars, she will strike the Council blind!

"I would appreciate if you would all control yourselves; you're disturbing the twins with your disapproval."
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

"Fear mongering among Jedi?" Padmé returned mildly. "Don't you think if you focused on Hope. Love and forgiveness, attachments wouldn't seem so bad?
    ::stands on top of a table and crows!::

"Attempting to keep your Jedi lover and your children, Doctor?" Shaak Ti's tone was mild.
    Sheath your claws, kitty. He's her Jedi husband.

Oh dear. The climax is approaching, is it not? [face_worried] I can't help being scared for our Skywalker family. Palpatine is a formidable enemy...

6. tasujad

tasujad Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    well... bad guys will be dying soon [face_peace]

7. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    AUGHHHHHHHHH!! I'm not going to have any fingernails left after reading a few more chapters like these two! Between Padme and Anakin's confession to the Council and Anakin's mysterious plan... my stomach is in knots! How cool is that?! :D

I have to say - I REALLY like the way you're depicting Mace here. The gruff edges we're all so familiar with are still there, but it's accompanied by another layer - one that's warm and more open to possibilities. It really makes him a complex character because you never know what to expect! Bravo! =D=

I'm so excited to hear that we'll be getting double updates from here on out. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next. I know whatever it is, it's going to be exciting... So let's just say I have the worry meter oiled up and ready to go, my seatbelt fastened and secure... oh, and a package of press-on nails just in case! :p

How I love this story! [face_love]

8. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    Two more outstanding updates here, Jade. I loved Corde here. :D Obi-Wan was wise in listrening to her. Though, he didn't have much of a choice. Padme needs her rest after going through such a horrific ordeal, and before she faces the council. It was so sweet that she and Anakin got to hear the babies' heartbeat. [face_love]

Then I must say, You go Padme! I loved the attitude she took with the council. She's been around them long enough to not be intimidated by them. Loved the calling out on Mace the attachment he has to her. He couldn't dispute it, and it helped hers and Anakin's cause. He's more open to suggestions and supporting her.

I don't like whatever it is Anakin has planned. I don't even know what it is yet and I'm worried. [face_worried] He had better be careful.

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WONDERFUL update! [face_love]

"Would you like to hear their hearts beat?"

"Really?"

Lana nodded, flicking a switch on the instrument. Two steady heart beats, working counterpoint one another as if to fill the void of noiselessness, were clearly audible and Padmé gasped. Her babies. Her babies heart beats.

"It's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard."

Lana whirled, the instrument falling away from Padmé's stomach. "Jedi Skywalker!"

Padmé placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. "It's alright Lana. Anakin's their father; and my husband."

Lana blinked as if she'd been punched, looking from where Anakin was gazing at Padmé tenderly to where Padmé's soft smile was all for him. Everything fell into place; Padmé saw the pieces click and Lana began to laugh. "You two... are very, very sneaky. Or careless if you intended to keep this marriage a secret."

"It had to come out sometime." Padmé extended her hand to Anakin and he joined her, grasping her fingers in his. "We always intended to have children."

=D= [face_love]

10. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005

They will be getting this alot. Wonderful argument that Padme gav the council I ope they listen to her!
    Great update JAde!

11. AnakinsFavorite

AnakinsFavorite Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2006
    I can only imagine how much Cordé and the others must have fretted about her- knowing the secret and all!

I love how Cordé totally took on Obi-Wan! Am I sensing a ?ship in the near future? They?d be cute together!

"Oh, Anakin; all we wanted was to be happy. How did things get so out of control?"

That is exactly the tragic question that I ask whenever reading about this unfortunate couple.

She stopped, resting her still visible hand on the curve of her belly and gently rubbing to sooth the twins; they could feel the animosity directed at her. She didn't wait for any of the eight Masters present to speak; she focused on one and then another, her words calm. "I would appreciate if you would all control yourselves; you're disturbing the twins with your disapproval."

Go Padmé! I must admit I laughed when I read that part!

Padmé rounded on Mace. "Then what do you call this attachment you have to me, Master Windu?"

Oooh? burn! Try to get out of that one, won?t you!

Anakin's hand was solid and firm in her own; reassuring. "Since it's me the Chancellor is after, I make the perfect bait and one he won't be able to resist."

That can?t be good. Please, don?t do anything traditional? like turn him to the Dark Side. I yet have hopes that this can end happily.

Excellent post- I?m sorry it took me so long to read! It was worth the wait!

AF

12. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    Go Padme yipee [face_dancing]!!

She definitely told the Council off and made them see things her way :cool:.

Now hopefully they'll listen and Anakin won't turn to the Dark Side [face_worried]...

13. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2006
    [face_dancing] Two chapters!

Finally, their marriage is out in the open!

It doesn't seem like the council is going to expel Anakin now. :) But why do I get the feeling his plan involves "turning" to the dark side? [face_plain]

"We need to end this quickly, Padmé, or he'll come after you again."
    No, Palpatine, no! Bad sith!! :mad:

14. FitJedi

FitJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2006
    Oh Jade_Max another 2 wonderful updates and I must say I love Padme's strength and resolve in front of the council, and that Anakin is questioning and standing up for him and Padme's self in from of the council. I am worried however about this plan of Anakin's, I have a feeling that him and Padme are going to have another conversation to discuss this thoroughly.
    Wonderful sweet moments between the two, love it!

15. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I really love your improved Mace Windu, and his take on attatchment. Padme may have given up politics, but she sure knows what to say to people!

I loved seeing Corde again, because she is such a good, strong female character. Also, she bosses around Obi-Wan. [face_laugh] When Padme/Anakin heard the heartbeat, I almost started to cry!

I find it very typical that instead of debriefing her, the stupid council was too busy condemning her attatchement to worry about the Sith Lord right under their very noses/snouts.

All in all, I can't wait for the next update!

J_Ro

16. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Once they get rid of Palpatine, they should put Padme in charge. She'd have everything straightened out in no time.

17. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Oh wow, Chapter 20 was sweet and romantic but chapter 21 left me nervous, I hope that everything will work out.

18. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    loved it can not wait for the next chapter.

19. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    WHAT? No more?

Add me to your PM list, please, and let me know when you update.

this story is wonderfully great!

20. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    i'm sorry i've gotten a little behind! but i've catched up and wow! so many things have happened.

i am praying, along side Padme, that Anakin doesn't think he can defeat the world...that he'll make a plan that provides a realistic return home for him.

i'm not gonna lie, i'm quite nervous!

great work!

21. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    "I would appreciate if you would all control yourselves; you're disturbing the twins with your disapproval." That put 'em in place! They are so blind to everything but their little rules. They'd rather focus on Anakin's misdemeanor than that there is a Sith lOrd practically at their doorstep! Argh!

22. DragonLotus

DragonLotus Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2006
    Oh my, we're getting to the most anticipated part of the story....

I like that Cordé got all bossy at Obi-Wan!

Also love how Padmé handled herself in front of the Council. How she challenged the Masters on their notion of attachment and confronted Mace on his own towards her.

And I LOVE how Padmé told off the Masters on their disapproving stares at her when she walked in to their chamber. Gutsy! And Anakin's presence as well, defending his wife, himself and their love for each other. [face_love]

23. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    leia_naberrie - *laughs* Cordé does more than ?give him hell? *snicker* But then, she always seems to be putting our friend Obi-Wan in his place *laughs* Glad you like the whole thing with Shaak Ti lol!

tasujad ? Only one real bad guy left ;) But yes, that time?s nearing very, very quickly.

VA_Parky ? *laughs* Well, only 4 updates left ? and I?m posting them all at once, so hopefully it?ll prevent above average trauma lol!

I couldn?t resist making him a softer, kinder Mace, all things considered ? but overall he?s still the same gruff, by the book Jedi. Only now he?s got some added complications ;)

Daenarrah ? *laughs* Obi-Wan listening to Cordé is just one of those things ? kind of like when a guy just somehow knows when to say ?yes dear? and let the woman have her way lol!

I think Doctor Padmé has known the council for long enough, and has enough pull, that throwing her weight around may be a risky prospect, but she?s got the guts to try it and is willing to fight for everything she wants. Namely a semblance of a ?normal? family life with Anakin and their children.

VaderLVR64 ? Glad you enjoyed it!

obsessedwithSW - *grin* Padmé?s had quite a long time to plan how to pitch her desires to the council ? I don?t think she ever really expected to, though.

AnakinsFavorite ? Only Cordé knew the secret ? she never did tell Mik or Lana. But Cordé certainly worried about her to the point of working herself into a tizzy. Hence, she?s not afraid of telling the Jedi ? especially Obi-Wan, what?s what.

I love how Cordé totally took on Obi-Wan! Am I sensing a ?ship in the near future? They?d be cute together!

*laughs* Just for you [face_peace]

Ah, nothing traditional ? I went for something new with the ending ;) Glad you enjoyed it!

randomangel22 - *grin* That seems to be the consensus! Everyone looks to be enjoying Padmé?s confrontation with the council.

jumpforjoy ? Yup, everything?s been laid out, but now there?s other problems to deal with. I admit I reworked the ending from what I originally had ? it gets interesting from there.

FitJedi ? I think everyone will see that Anakin?s much more confident in Padmé?s love for him than he was in the movies ? plus he?s walking into things with his eyes open and not deceiving himself. I think the ending will surprise ? at least, I hope it will ;)

Jaded_Rose ? Padmé?s always been eloquent and she?s had to deal with the families of her patients ? hence she?s accustomed to having her say and knowing what words to use. I couldn?t resist using Cordé again since she?s such a strong character ? I feel she got the short end of the shaft when she was killed right away in AotC.

Ah, the hide bound Jedi so caught up in codes and procedures, they have to deal with those before the threat *shakes her head* I thought it was appropriate

jedi_princess18 ? Ah, but Padmé?s not in politics ? and she wants to raise her kids ;)

Star_Angel - *grin* Woot! The reactions I was hoping for!

Tatooine_Ghost ? Thanks!

Laine_Snowtrekker - *laughs* What do you mean, ?no more?? *grin* I?d be happy to let you know when I end this ? since that?s the next update ;)

anakin_luver ? No worries about getting behind ? DRL has a way of jumping up when you least expect it. Hope you enjoy the ending!

Handmaiden_Azul ? Padmé?s very outspoken ? what can I say, I think it suits her ;)

DragonLotus ? Yup, getting to the ending ? which should be different than anything I?ve ever read on the boards in a lot of ways, but similar in others. I couldn?t resist making Padmé unafraid; heck, she?s got nothing to lose and everything to gain by winning them to her way of thinking. A good tactic, if I do say so myself.

The last 4 posts of the story follow this one. Hope everyone enjoys! [face_peace]

24. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Chapter 22

The waiting was the worst.

It had been two weeks since her return to the Temple. Two weeks since her conversation with the Masters. Two weeks since Anakin's plan had been presented and then approved - or so he'd informed her. It also meant it was two weeks since she'd last seen him and her heart was heavy with worry. Today was the day they'd set to confront the Chancellor and end the war one way or another.

Padmé had been confined to her bed by Lana that morning when pains across her abdomen began making themselves known. Lana checked in on her frequently and Cordé didn't leave her side as the contractions came and went throughout the afternoon. Lana, a knowing sparkle in her eye, informed her that soon, very soon, she was going to be a mother.

The twins were on the way.

A flash of blue and green light intermingled with red.

Padmé tossed her head, sweat having plastered the strands of her hair to her forehead as she bore down. She'd been in a labor for over sixteen hours and the twins were quickly rushing towards the world and an uncertain future.

But, beyond her babies, Padmé was only semi-conscious of the fact that her body was laboring to deliver them. Her mind was elsewhere, caught up in a by-play she neither knew nor cared where it came from. A by-play that had the potential to change the galaxy forever...

"You're a fool, Kenobi." The Chancellor's voice was a hiss. "And you're too late. Skywalker is mine."

Obi-Wan held his ground, staring at the man they'd come to identify as a Sith Lord. "It is you who are too late, Palpatine. Stand down, release your hold on the Courts and the Senate, and we will ensure you get a fair trial."

The Chancellor's familiar features twisted into a mask of haughty arrogance even as he laughed manically. At Kenobi's feet lay Asajj Ventress, skillfully dispatched by the Jedi Master's hand. But, around them lay the bodies of several other Masters who had fallen prey to Asajj's quick blades and cunning skill. And to treachery. Asajj had lured and baited several of them close to her new Master, only to have the red blade of the Sith flash out and end the lives in the blink of an eye. "You dream, Kenobi. Lay down your weapon and I won't have Anakin kill you."

Padmé shook her head in mute denial, feeling like a spectator at a professional opera - but one she didn't have the full script to. This isn't the plan, she wanted to scream. Obi-Wan was supposed to wait to confront the Chancellor with Anakin, not try and take him on his own!

Obi-Wan's shoulders straightened and he pulled himself to his full height. The door behind him hissed open and Mace, Yoda and Kit Fisto stepped in, their blades at the ready.

The Chancellor laughed. "Good! Good! You're all on schedule. Lord Vader."

A cloaked figure stepped from the shadows, burning yellow eyes the only visible portion of them and stopped at Palpatine's shoulder.

A figure that was as familiar to her as the swell of her pregnant belly. Padmé knew on some level she was having trouble breathing. That the breath had lodged in her throat and was making it difficult for her to breathe. Distantly she heard Lana's instruction, could feel the pain of stretching tendons and muscles, but didn't register. It was like a bad dream, but a dream she couldn't wake up from as the images, the drama, unfolded...

The Chancellor looked at each of the Jedi in his chamber. "Lord Vader will welcome you properly."

A blue blade flared to life in Vader's hand and he waded in. He traded blows with Obi-Wan and Kit, the Force lending him speed and agility that, even in the dream-like state, was impossible to follow. Yoda and Mace moved beyond him, towards the Emperor, but Vader was quicker, stepping between them, one of Asajj's blades leaping into his free hand as he spun, each hand moving independently as he traded blows with both Jedi Masters.

Palpatine's laughter was delighted as he watched his new apprentice work. "Use your anger, your hate, L

25. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Chapter 23

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Padmé woke slowly, groggily opening her eyes to find herself looking up into the concerned face of her best friend. She stared at her confused. "Cordé?"

Cordé's smile was relieved. "Thank heavens! I thought for a minute there that we were going to lose you for good. How do you feel?"

Padmé turned the statement and question over in her head and then responded honestly. "Fuzzy. My brain feels like it's stuck in cotton batting. What happened?"

"We rolled you into the delivery room about ten hours into your labor." Cordé explained, carefully examining Padmé's expression for any signs of a relapse. "You became disoriented during the labor, you couldn't even hold your babies when they were born."

Padmé sat bolt-upright but Cordé placed firm hands on her shoulders and pressed her back down. "The children as in good health, Padmé." Cordé told her gently. "But yours isn't so good. You had a heart attack shortly after the baby girl was born."

Padmé paled. Heart attack? What could have... She frowned, her muddied mind trying to sort through the information, her memories hazy. "Did anything else happen?"

"You were asking for Anakin." Cordé's expression was solemn, her expression sad. "He couldn't be here, but you kept saying his name."

Padmé wondered if she was losing her mind and shook off the irrational fear that accompanied Anakin's name. "Can you blame me for wanting my husband around for the birth of his children? Where are they? I'd like to see them."

Cordé waved to the door and Lana stepped in, Mik at her side, each cradling a tiny infant. Padmé drank in the sight of the twins with hungry eyes and outstretched her arms. "Let me hold them."

Lana moved to the bed side, her smile soft as she explained the proper procedure for holding a pair of newborns. Padmé positioned herself as instructed and Lana carefully laid the boy, a light patch of blonde hair already dusting the crown of his head, and then the girl - taken from Mik's arms - into Padmé's. The little girl had a tuft of darker colored hair. Padmé pulled them as close against her as she dared and dropped gentle kisses on each one. "Luke and Leia. My darling angels."

Padmé spent a few minutes with them before Lana informed her that the twins were still undergoing certain care measures to ensure they weren't underdeveloped and whisked them away again.

Cordé smiled. "Luke and Leia?"

Padmé's return smile was almost self-conscious. "Anakin chose her name; he said it was only fair I name our son. I thought... I met this woman on the transport to Tatooine who lost her baby. Lux didn't have a chance and I learned some valuable lessons from his death. Call it a... a Thank You."

Cordé placed a hand on Padmé's shoulder and squeezed. "You don't have to explain it to me. Luke is a good fine name, no matter where you came by it."

Padmé settled back in her recovery bed, apprehension returning. "Have the Jedi returned from their mission with the Chancellor?"

"Not yet." Cordé patted Padmé's shoulder. "I'm sure things are going just fine, Doc. Don't worry, they'll be back sooner than you think.

Padmé was dozing lightly when the sound of the door opening brought her to full wakefulness. It was dark outside her room, indicating it was late, and she squinted against the glare. "Who's there?"

There was a sound, a sound that sent chills through her blood, and then nothing. The door closed again and her heart leapt into her throat. Her hand slammed down on the comm. unit built into the bed. "Lana!"

The line crackled for half a second before Padmé tried again. "Lana!"

"I'm here, Doctor." Was the sleepy reply. "Is something wrong?"

"The children! They're after the children!"

"The children?" Lana's voice was gaining strength. "Who's after the child-?" She stopped, and Padmé heard her turn away from the unit, but it hadn't been shut off. "I'm sorry, sir, but this area is restricted to medical personnel only."

The laughter than floated back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.