main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Does Anakin act different in the series, or is that just me?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthDeetz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DarthDeetz

DarthDeetz Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2014
    Now I don't know if i should be asking a silly question here, but I htouhgt why not.

I was just wondering if anyone else thought so. See I feel like Anakin has quite a different personality in the Clone wars series over the movies. It's like in the movies, he's got this calm, more moped personality, along with a more smooth voice. In the Series, he has a bit more of a strong, rude attitude (and its kinda obvious he has a bit of a less accented voice actor).
    I was wondering anyone else noticed this? Is there a reason they gave him a different personality, and shouldn't it be considered OOC? I assumed maybe they changed it either so he could actually fit in with an action show, or maybe it's how he acted in casual every day life?
    I know i'm a little embarrassed to say this but, I like his angsty movie personality, I find him a little bit harder to take seriously in the series because of his spoiled, sarcastic attitude.
    ANYWAY forgive me if i'm putting this in the wrong place or something, if i am, just give me a bit of a bop on the head.

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The way he acts in the series is more in keeping with the way Obi-Wan talks about him in ANH.

"He was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. And he was a good friend"

There was a lot of that in The Clone Wars. Not so much of it on the movies, since they were heavily fixated on his slide to the Dark Side. Because of that we got a lot of brooding moody Anakin in the movies - complaining about Obi-Wan holding him back, going on about how he's really better than them all, how he will be the most powerful ever blah blah.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought we were seeing two different aspects of the same person, and we see a bit of TCW Anakin in the speeder chase scene in AOTC and the opening battle in ROTS. The movies just focused more on his emo side because that's what eventually led him to join the Dark Side.

I prefer the sarcastic smartass side of him we saw in TCW as well as the friendship with Obi-Wan. I wish we had seen more of both in the movies.

The only time I wanted to slap him in TCW was when he was being a hypocrite about attachment. In AOTC, however, he spent a good part of the film embarrassing the other characters, and in ROTS he was just an idiot.

I'm fine with the angst in the Lars garage scene because it was appropriate for the circumstances. The rest of the time though...just no.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, Anakin is absolutely different in TCW as to the films. I don't like the inconsistency either it's like they are different men. I believe the intent was to paint him as a hero which didn't exactly come across well in the films. I don't like either version from what I've seen and I admit I haven't seen much TCW and I don't care to. I prefer the old Anakin from RotJ. That is the redeemed Anakin. He's the one I feel for.

Heero_Yuy and Dra--- like this.
  5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah they are different, in fact he is more mature, cunning and more than what the movies actually showed of him. That also includes the 1.0 clone wars EU which had him as the last minute of the day hero that complained 90% of the story and at the end of the day he did a feat of pure ANH (shooting the torpedoes to destroy death star scene) type of maneuver. Completely off, I like this version of him better and like the poster stated above its more in line with the comment that Ben made in ANH

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  6. DarthDeetz

Feb 18, 2014
    Yeah man I mean, I mean I would have liked if they added a bit of BOTH of his personality in TCW you know? Like you can't have too much angst, bbut he honestly doesn't show it enough in the series. Like even when he goes through his angsty moments, it'll be more of an ******* anger rather than a deep emotional crushing look that he always has.
    But dude I think what i do like about him in the series is that he's... still so evil. Like anakinfansince1983 mentioned of his hypocrisy towards 'compassion'. He's a really... messed up sort of hero who refuses to obey the rules and has his own weird morals. He's not your general heroic personality i tell you that...
    But yeah i figured he'd still have TCW personality, but atl east add a little more sorrow and sadness in there, you know?

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't want to watch a character being sad and sorrowful for any real length of time.

8. DarthDeetz

Feb 18, 2014
    Also yeah I figured the movies would have basically montaged his struggles, I mean you can't exactly fit his entire life through three two and a half hour movies. (I'd have to say though, I probably saw most of his movie personality when he ended up force choking one of the separatists for answers, which i admit, gave me good shivers).

Jedi Knight Bane likes this.
  9. DarthDeetz

Feb 18, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 Yeah I don't think many people can hahaha, dear god. Although I admit, as a storyteller myself, it's so hard not to make someone like that sometimes... eesh.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only thing I didn't like about the choking of Poggle the Lesser was the damn Imperial March playing.

Really, TCW...maybe if you played the love theme from Beauty and the Beast, we might think Anakin was doing that because he loved Poggle or something.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I consider TCW Anakin an entirely different character.

Everything about the way he talks, his body language and facial expressions, his emotional reactions...they're really off.

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  12. DarthDeetz

Feb 18, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 Hahaa ohman I guess.
    I mean I guess they were making it 'super obvious for the kids' like 'LOOK WHO IT IS RIGHT HERE, DARTH VADER, DARTH VADER MOVE, THIS MAN RIGHT HERE, THAT'S HIM, VADER, ITS WHAT HE'S GONNA TURN INTO"', but hey it pleased me so I couldn't care less heeeeehe.
    Also CT-867-5309 I do agree completely. As I said earlier, if they still added his usual personality to at least a LITTLE bit of it, I may enjoyed him a little more.
    Honestly maybe they were a bit scared that Anakin would be a little too angsty for an entirely action-based cartoon. I feel dumb for saying this but.... Too much action, not enough story plot (Although it really isn't entirely about Anakin and more about everyone else's development)

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think the micro-series showed a good balance: Anakin as a great pilot, war hero, husband to Padme, friend to Obi-Wan -- along with the troubled Jedi showing signs of darkness.

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The films offer glimpses of moments in time separated by years, and they were just awkwardly chosen (i.e. written).

In TPM, Obi-Wan was not a friend to Anakin at all, nor even friendly. Lucas oddly chose to stress a new character's (Qui-Gon's) faith in him, and Obi-Wan just seemed put off from Anakin.

In AOTC, we get like 60 seconds of seeing them pal around, then it goes to Anakin's anxiety in seeing Padme, and his disobedience to Obi-Wan and his mother issues. It glossed over 10 years in which the characters would have been building a relationship and instead went from Obi-Wan not liking Anakin, to Obi-Wan and Anakin having problems in AOTC. We get more substantial glimpses of a friendship in ROTS, but again the story demanded that they focus on the strain and stress bearing on Anakin.

TCW's depiction seemed more like an apologetic way to show what had been missing from the films but had been mentioned in ANH.

15. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    The TCW Anakin is the Anakin we were supposed to get before the GL and Hayden to an extent ruined the character in AOTC and ROTS. Simple as that. We did get a little of that Anakin at the beginning of ROTS but it was all lost after he started having the nightmares and started whining every other scene.

It is honestly hard for me to watch AOTC and ROTS after watching how Anakin is in the show.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Like x 1000.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  17. DarthDeetz

Feb 18, 2014
    Yeaaahh I can see what you all mean. I guess it all is also just personal preference, I mean I assumed most people WOULD like TCW Anakin, because you can only take so much angst. But I guess i'll have a lil' guilty pleasure from the big baby he is in the movies.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes, Anakin is different in TCW than in the PT, and that difference is a main reason I rank Star Wars OT > TCW > PT. As has already been pointed out in this thread, TCW Anakin fits the mold of how he was talked about in the OT much better than PT Anakin, and the PT's portrayal of Anakin (plus the utterly horrid acting of Hayden Christensen) is a main reason I'm down it (though I'm not one of those who people who hate it 100% either). I also agree with anakinfansince1983 that these shades were shown but very briefly in the PT, so it's perfectly acceptable as different sides of the same person. There's no real contradiction. Showing someone's worst moments just isn't going to look the same as seeing them in their prime.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. DarthDeetz

Feb 18, 2014
    Dark Lord Tarkas Ohyes I totally agree but.... It would be nice if they added just a WEE bit emotion to him in the series. Because I can totally understand that's how he'd act in everyday life, but it's almost like they've change his whole personality. Just as CT-867-5309 mentioned about his 'personality,movements and reactions' are all very different, like he doesn't have an ounce of more depressive angst in the series, just agressive spurts and rude combacks. But then again I shouldn't argue with those who I feel probably know more of these characters than I do man. .

Jedi Knight Bane likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't know why but I get the feeling that is just a thread for Prequel bashing but it just disguised as a Anakin thread

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    DarthDeetz people who know more than you can always be wrong. I get the feeling you're saying he wasn't emotional at all in TCW, but there are plenty examples of him being plenty emotional. Hayden Christensen was just super whiny.

22. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Personally, I do enjoy the way Anakin is portrayed in TCW, it's a shame we didn't get to see much of that in the movies, instead of the doom and gloom Anakin, but what can you do, there's only so much you can show the way it was done.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    If you look at the first post in this thread you'll see the person who started it prefers PT Anakin. So I don't think so.

24. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think it's hard not to see the inconsistency of TCW Anakin in between the films. I don't care what excuses people come up with to make it work. It's like the TCW writers were trying to make him more like Luke and Han, more fun/ role-model/ kid-friendly-type heroes.. but he's Anakin, he's not Luke or Han.

MissFortune and CT-867-5309 like this.
  25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Togruta I don't think anyone said there is no inconsistency, actually I think everyone agrees that there are differences. It's just a matter of whether you think those inconsistencies are so wild that they couldn't possibly be the same person, which I think simple real-life human experience indicates they could be. Real people are pretty complex. Also, I chalk up a lot of the seeming difference to Hayden Christensen's terrible acting, which to me is an OU problem, it doesn't create an IU problem for another actor to do the character better. If you don't care what supporting points people who disagree with you bring up, there's not much I can do about that.