main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Does Anakin know that he is the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Nerdling, May 2, 2013.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I always just assumed that Anakin knows about the prophecy of the Chosen One. Palpatine and Plagueis know about it. The Jedi Council and Dooku know about it. Qui-Gon and Obi know about it. They Jedi talk about the Chosen One prophecy in public and in front of clones. Also, Anakin achieves the same rank as Qui-Gon, so if Qui is privy to this knowledge then Anakin should be too. For all these reasons, I just made the assumption that Anakin knew too, but as they say, I don't want to make the mistake of making an ass out you and mption, so I wanted to find an actual source if there is one.

Now, I'm nearly positive he doesn't mention being the Chosen One in the films, and I don't remember him saying that he is in the Clone Wars. So, here's what I'm wondering. Can anyone here cite a source (episode from the Clone Wars, comic, book, etc.) in which Anakin acknowledges that he is the Chosen One or shows that he knows this in some other way?

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I think it comes up in earlier stories as well, like maybe Rogue Planet? Not sure though.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    ROTS novelization while arguing with Obi-Wan about him not being made a master and having to spy on Palpatine he mentions the Prophecy and how they call him the Chosen One.

TCW he talks about the prophecy with the Father, but strangely enough and for like the only time I can ever think of he calls it a myth. I remember that one because it completely threw me off. Dating back from the Jedi Quest series it was constantly mentioned how Anakin knew he was special and such, the ROTS novelization again has him mentioning it, and then now all of a sudden he considers it to be a mere myth? Strange.

That's all I can specifically remember without any novels in front of me, though again I know it was mentioned in the Jedi Quest young reader novels.

EDIT: In Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader I believe Vader acknowledges how he'd been known as the Chosen One or something along those lines.

darth ladnar likes this.
  4. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks!

Yeah, I thought he had mentioned it in the Mortis arc somewhere, but I totally forgot that he dismissed it as a myth. If I remember right, he even seemed a little angry when the topic was brought up, which I thought was strange considering his sense of superiority. So, I guess that's another question -- why doesn't Anakin like being the Chosen One?

VanishingReality likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure he would like for it to be a myth. That's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on one person, and I'm sure that's why he doesn't like it.

I've always considered the inflated ego that he exhibits, to be a cover for a lack of genuine self-confidence.

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In TPM doesn't Qui-Gon openly call him the Chosen One in front of him? It would be kind of weird for him not to know he was the Chosen One, since like everyone else knew.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I was always the impression that he knows he's called "the Chosen One", but he personally thinks the prophecy is a load of crap. I feel like he voices an opinion on those lines in Labyrinth of Evil or the ROTS novel. Can't really blame him.

BigAl6ft6 and VanishingReality like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the reference in TCW just because he'd dismiss it because, y'know, guy doesn't need another freakin' headache on top of his double top secret marriage and god knows what else he and Palpy are chatting about in their little conferences.

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Pretty much. Anakin never really seemed all that interested in destiny or what the majority of the Jedi thought of him. Always did his own thing, never styled himself as some type of savior.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Yeah, you're right. I'm a dope. In his last conversation with the Jedi Council, Qui-Gon says: "He is the Chosen One. You must see it." He's talking to Yoda and to Mace, and he's not talking to Anakin. Anakin just happens to be there, so I guess that's why I forgot about it. Qui-Gon says it firmly and with conviction, so it's not something would Anakin would easily forget about either.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yes, he knew that he was the chosen one.