main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anakin's chosen one prophecy make sense?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jun 11, 2015.

1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Hey guys just wanted to ask this question about Anakin's chosen one prophecy because i really didn't get it at all because in the movies it wasn't really properly explained. Did darth plageius and darth sidious knew creating anakin skywalker would eventually cause the end of them the sith because in TPM because Anakin has the highest midichlorians count that makes him the chosen one and the chosen one is suppose to end the sith so do they know that doing this will destroy the sith??? It really doesn't make any sense at all and im very confused. Why does whoever have the highest midichlorians gets to destroy the sith and bring balance to the force. Also another thing that doesn't make completely any sense is that in ROTJ we see Anakin redeem himself by saving Luke and destroying the emperor palpantine thus bring balance to the force and that was suppose to be his prophecy but in the force awakens episode 7 there's a new sith lord, so the sith hasn't been destroyed and then that cant be a right prophecy?????
    Can someone please explain this to me properly please because none of the prequels explained this prophecy.

2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Unfortunately it has never been properly explained I think, whether it is in the actual movies, the Expanded Universe, or the Clone Wars series. But in the Mortis trilogy, which is part of season 3 of The Clone Wars series, kind of give us an explanation, not about the prophecy itself, but what does "bringing balance to the Force" mean. In many ways, this explanation about the balance in the Force does make a lot of sense. But the prophecy itself (someone, correct me if I'm wrong, there's a lot more educated fans out there than I am) doesn't really get explained or doesn't explain why Anakin is the chosen one.

The only explanation we have is from Lucas on the following video in which he says that Anakin is the chosen because he destroyed himself (Vader) and the Emperor when saving his son, Luke, thus bringing balance to the Force:

But somehow, I'm afraid that this explanation may be no longer valid since the Sequel Trilogy (Episodes VII, VIII and IX) is coming out.

deadly jp likes this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I always wondered if the ST would touch on this, but since they may have thrown out GL's ideas and I'm still confused on that :confused: anyway we'll see.

deadly jp likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    firstly, the force created anakin. he restored balance by killing palpatine in rotj. he destroyed the sith by killing palps and redeeming himself. anakin is the chosen one.

5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Does any prophecy ever really make sense?

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Does any prophecy ever really make sense?
    ----

yes, real ones.

7. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    Anakin isn´t the Chosen One because he has the highest midi-chlorian count, but the other way around. Because the Force created him in one way or another, he has the highest midi-chlorian count and he is the Chosen One. Lucas left open to viewers´ interpretation the whole Anakin conception, but even if the Sith had a hand in it, it was the will of the Force what made Anakin the Chosen One. In art, prophecies are a tool to tell the old struggle between destiny and free will. They are related to a greater power beyond the comprehension of the mortals and surrounded by a veil of mystery and uncertainty. As a result, prophecies don´t necessarily have to make sense. There are never plausible proofs that indicate those prophecies are true. Characters in these stories have to rely on faith to believe in them and only when they are fulfilled, prophecies are really proven to be true.

As far a we all know, Kylo Ren isn´t a Sith but a Dark Jedi which isn´t the same. The Sith throw the Force out of balance by blurring the lines between good and evil. Palaptine, for example, made the universe believe that peace, security and prosperity have to be brought via tyranny and oppression. They make good people think evil is a good thing or that good and evil are just a point of view. A Dark Jedi is simply evil.

8. ikill3rfir3

ikill3rfir3 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2015
    Anakin isnt the strongest jedi luke is george lucas has said so

Lähetetty minun GT-S7580 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

9. Kururu

Feb 9, 2007
    Anakin and Luke potential in the Force is the same. What Lucas said was Anakin as Vader can not reach his full potential due to his injuries. But that has nothing to do with Anakin being the Chosen One.

10. ikill3rfir3

ikill3rfir3 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2015
    Agreed

Lähetetty minun GT-S7580 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

deadly jp likes this.
  11. Super_Mace

Super_Mace Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2003
    I think it makes sense, I just think it wasn't the best idea to go with. I think the films could have been better by not even going there, and choosing another direction to tell Anakin's fall / Palpatine's rise.

DARTH-FURBABY and deadly jp like this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    luke is nowhere near anakin.

deadly jp likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"If good and evil are mixed things become blurred - there is nothing between good and evil, everything is gray. In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything. It is dangerous to lose this. In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of the Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that the Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine Interview, 1999.

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith Lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine, 2005.

"The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

First off, we don't know what Kylo Ren is. Second, the prophecy centers around what Palpatine does in the films. He disrupts the balance. Whatever Kylo Ren does, even if he is a Sith, he will not disrupt the balance. The circumstances that resulted in the imbalance won't be duplicated again. Third, the Council knew what the prophecy meant. That's why Obi-wan says that Anakin was to bring balance by destroying the Sith. The Sith creating Anakin is vague since we don't know how much truth Palpatine was telling Anakin and the book, "Darth Plagueis" is out of continuity. Lucas left it vague on purpose.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Isn't the idea of a prophecy in general meant to be vague/up to wide interpretation?

Get into Greek mythology stories, pleeeenty of prophecies there end up meaning something a lot different than one may think at first

oncafar and deadly jp like this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Kururu:

Interesting thoughts however Sith are hardly the only ones that blur lines. Everyone in SW does it. Especially the Rebels and Jedi. It's simply like them many justify and excuse wrong actions and call them good.

deadly jp likes this.
  16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't think the whole chosen one prophecy was ever properly or thoroughly explained, but the way I take it from the movies is this;

Anakin is concieved by the force, like a SW Jesus, and he's going to be the biggest thing since lightsaber-sliced bread. He's supposed to do all this good for the galaxy, heal the sick and all that jazz. However, where this strays from the whole Jesus thing is by turning to the darkside. I think regardless, there was a prophecy about how the Sith would rule the galaxy once more, and how one created by the force would knock them down a peg or two. That's the brilliance of Sidious turning Anakin to the darkside, it eliminates that threat, and even if DV did kill Sidious, his allegiance should've still been to the Sith. Thus, ensuring the Sith continues to rule the galaxy. Yet, Vader kills the Emporer out of compassion and protection towards his son, and this brings him back to the light side. He destroys the Sith like it prophesized...it just took alot longer and alot of people had to get hurt for it.

However, I always kind of took it like bringing the force to balance was cleansing it. Darth Vader destroys the Jedi, Anakin destroys the Sith, the force remains but the users do not. Luke, his son, is the new beginning and he can decide how to train people to use it.

17. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I look at it that way as well. By the Clone Wars, the Jedi had compromised so many of their values. They preached that fear led to the dark side, but were so afraid of the dark side that they didn't allow themselves to love, fear, or otherwise deal with emotions in a healthy way. The Jedi became warriors when they were supposed to be negotiators and peacemakers. So the Sith needed to be eradicated and the Jedi needed a fresh start. Anakin/Vader accomplished both of these goals.

It will be interesting to see if this interpretation needs to be changed when the ST is completed. I don't think Kylo Ren is a full Sith, but he does seem to be using the Force to do evil things. My interpretation when we had the EU was always that Anakin produced a line of Skywalkers, so that whenever a threat to balance sprang up (that is, someone started doing something really bad), one of Anakin's descendants would be there to destroy it. If Luke or Leia had kids, this might be my interpretation of the prophecy going forward.

18. Kururu

Feb 9, 2007
    I think there is a big difference. Sith are evil and make people believe evil is indeed good. They don´t only try to justify their action, they manipulate people´s mind through fear and lies to impose their twisted point of view. Even the Jedi Order fell under Palpatine´s manipulations and made them fight a war that compromised their values by taking advantage of their attachment to the Republic. At the end, the Sith made the Jedi believe war was the only way to save the Republic when they had other options like keeping their status of guardians of the peace by no siding with any faction. On the other hand, Rebels knew the difference between good and evil. They knew war is bad and didn´t try to justify their actions, but at this point the Empire gave them no other choice than fighting. It is a matter of accepting evil is bad but necessary in some cases in contrast to evil being a good thing and the only option. In other words, balance between good and evil vs unbalance.

deadly jp and Darth Raiden like this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's fine I hear many justify the Rebels and Jedi and blackwash the Sith. Don't buy it. Wrong is wrong regardless of banners.

deadly jp likes this.
  20. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

I should have thought about that! George Lucas is indeed a brilliant man!

It reminds me of the Temptation of Christ in the bible, when the Devil tried to tempt Jesus and he ultimately fail because the Christ refused his offers ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temptation_of_Christ ). I remember that one of my teachers saying, during one of my classes of literature at school, the morality behind this story in the bible is that inside of us, there's always a dark side within us, and we have to deal with it in order to not succumb. That is what Lucas meant when he said: "in each of us we to have balance these emotions".

It still astonishes when people keep saying, even today, that George Lucas didn't know what he was doing or was too lazy, while in reality there are many signs (more or less obvious) of ingenuity in the story behind the prequels.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I would have to disagree there. The Sith are evil. Pure evil. Their entire philosophy is based on destroying the Republic/Jedi and ruling the galaxy through violence and fear. A Dark Jedi may just be a misguided Force Sensitive who doesn't understand the need to control their emotions.

22. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I think you're right. I noticed that the actions of Jedi characters like Yoda, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan were rather questionable at times, even if their intentions were good. Even Anakin, who was willing to do a lot of evil for what he thought was good - punishing the Tuskens for Shmi's torture and death, and saving Padme. I noticed the same with some of the characters in "The Empire Strikes Back".

deadly jp and SW Saga Fan like this.
  23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Among the many rumors we have heard until now about the about Episode VII, Kylo Ren is most probably an inquisitor, not specifically a Sith lord.

EDIT: In order to further explain the concept of an inquisitor and what is the difference with a Sith lord, Pablo Hidalgo, which is a member of the Lucasfilm Story Group, explains it in the video below at 3:00 :

deadly jp and Kururu like this.
  24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Your naming a lot of stuff I've never heard of and isn't in the films. So..yeah.. whatever.

deadly jp likes this.
  25. Kururu

Feb 9, 2007
    SW Saga Fan´s post summed up my thoughts perfectly. What I mean is a Dark Jedi or an Inquisitor is a bad guy doing bad things while the Sith are an evil sect with their own philosophy. A dark Force user can only be a Sith if he or she is knighted and they teach you their knowledge. The Sith are like a cancer corrupting everything and everybody. They aren´t only pure evil, they also try to twist people´s mind to make them believe evil is good. That was the reason why they brought the imbalance to the Force.

deadly jp and Lulu Mars like this.