main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does any one here think the saga needs to be a little more PG-13ish?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by emporergerner, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I know the Star Wars saga as a hole is very serious epic of good vs evil. But don't you wish that George would have kept out the little childish and cartoonish moments. Like Jar Jar in Episode I its a liitle hard telling your friends how cool Star Wars is when you got a character like that on screen. Or those dumb songs in Jabbas Place in episode IV. Especially the new cg characters singing. And of course the ewoks, episode IV is so hard to watch cause its a little hard beliving they could defeat the empire.

Now Im not saying take the fun out of star wars, but don't you wish they would take that kinda stuff out and stick more to the story or plotline, or just added something a little less childish.

2. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I think Star Wars has done fairly well as it is. I don't think I could have done a better job of it, personally. But that's just me.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Luckily, there are no Ewoks in Episode IV.

4. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Everyone I know loves the ewoks, only online was it the first time I read that someone didn't like them.

5. TK-421-

TK-421- Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    Really?You never heard or saw the jokes about ROTJ on tv or in movies?You never read or heard a review of ROTJ?If I may ask,how old are you and how long have you been on line?ROTJ has been the butt of Star Wars jokes for as long as I can remember.

This is probably the most said phrase on the planet.After being on the internet for only a few seconds you quickly learn that everybody hates everything.

6. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I think the Saga is fine as is, I just wish that the PT hadn't tried so hard to cater to children.

7. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I'm 31 and I've been online since 1996. See when the Ewoks joined the battle on Endor the whole theater roared in excitement. I loved the Ewok Adventure when it aired on TV that first night, and the second Ewok movie as well. My fathers favorite Star Wars movie is Return of the Jedi, there was a friend of mine 10 years ago said it was his favorite SW film as well. When ROTJ came out in theaters everyone I knew loved it! Why would anyone I know give a darn what any of the critics think, because everyone I know loved it! Why would anyone listen to a critics opinion it's just another one in the maze, why is their opinion more important to the rest of the billions of others world wide. A few years later around 1987, a bunch of kids put my friends and I down while we were buying discount Sar Wars toys, by saying to us that Star Wars is so not cool anymore. All I could think was how can Star Wars not be cool anymore, it will always be cool! I felt sorry for those guys to lose what I considered to be so special. So the whole 16 years I waited for Episode 1 I didn't care what anyone else thought, but I began to read these boards, the negativity affected me, I couldn't think of anything about Star Wars without hearing someones complaints in my head. Like you quoted me above about everyone hates everything. The ruled out for me, less I'm online the better. I remember a time where if I liked something I didn't have to hear everyone elses thoughts about how much they hate it, ahhh those were the days.

8. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Not me. I hug everything. Even ewoks. Ewoks were awesome in 1983. People who say otherwise weren't there.

btw - wasn't EPIII PG-13 in the states?
    (It was PG here in Canada but we're more lax w/ movie ratings).

9. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    Not in the slightest. Star Wars, for all it's action, fierce battles, large-scale warfare and general mayhem, has always been good clean fun, something that even young kids could go to see with no problem. And it wouldn't be Star Wars any other way.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, RotS was the first film to get the PG-13 rating, likely in part because PG-13 didn't exist when the OT came out.

Anyway, I don't think it needs to become more PG-13 I think that the co-existance of the dark and gritty aspects with the more light and happy aspects is one of the more interesting aspects of Star Wars.

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Can we all agree that Jar-Jar was NEVER cool or funny, though?

12. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    No. Jar Jar is both cool and funny. Maybe you just don't "get it."

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A rated R version of Order 66 and the Temple attack would have been awesome.
    However, it was not to be.

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Unless done carefully it also would have stood out way too much from the rest of the saga.

15. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    I see nothing wrong with Jar Jar. He's just one of the clumsier gungans.
    But he eventually got promoted to being a senator. And he suggested that the senate give Palpatine emergency powers, so he is the source of everything that went wrong.:mad: But other than that there's hardly anything wrong with him.

16. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I'm not so much "anti-Jar-Jar" as I am "waaaaaait a minute - they were NOT lamb-basted in 1983 as much as Binks was in 1999" about the ewoks.

They weren't.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think the balance between the movies is fine. If I could change anything, I'd probably make ROTJ darker, but not probably not PG-13 dark. The real darkness is reserved for ROTS, whre it should be. And the fact that Episode III is so darn pitch black against all the other films, particularly of course TPM, actually makes it all the more shocking and unberable. Coming at it with know knowlage of where everything will go, who would think that from the vibrant swamps and green fields of TPM, the story would end up with the sweet little boy becoming a child murderer and being set on fire in the overwhelming bleakness of Mustafar at the end of ROTS?

18. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    Ya these prequels should have been made and intended for adults like us! The films should grow up with us, forget children!

Please, the films have always had kiddy elements. Kids liked Ewoks, kids like Jar Jar, he IS one of the best selling toys of all time. Ley em have Jar Jar, we can have Jango Fett and Mace Windu and Qui-Gon, and well everyone else. Can't they just have Jar Jar for one movie?

Don't let him bother you, he doesn't bother me. He's not THAT annoying, maybe only during the Naboo Core scenes, but really thats it. I thought the Pit Droid scene was actually rather humerous, but that might have something to do with the fact that I love Pit Droids.

19. darth_da

darth_da Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2005
    Well, I'm gonna agree with original poster. It was never going to happen, but it would've been great to have a darker version of Star Wars (even just TESB dark), but at the end of the day it's Lucas' story to tell how he wants (and it still kicks ass!)

BTW, emporergerner - have you read the New Jedi Order series? I thought it was great because it was a bit darker than the films.

20. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    The New Jedi Order doesnt' exist in J-Canon.
    Killing Chewie dubunks the whole series.

21. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    The way I see it the first two films very much appealed to children so they brought in Ewoks. For Episode 1 Star Wars was still very much considered a childhood favorite and they brought in Jar Jar, which was a spectacular failure. I think the lesson was learnt that Star Wars fans have matured and it has matured with them.

22. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I know I'm going to regret asking, but "J-Canon"?

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe that would be Jamie-canon.

24. nancyallen

nancyallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2007
    It goes that there are different levels of canon. Stuff directly from the films or Lucas himself would be the highest level of canon, novels would be another lower form of canon, games another form, ect. All it does really is confuses things.

25. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It's mostly pretty clear imo.

G-Canon = Undeniable Truth

C-Canon = Disregardable if you don't accept EU

S-Canon = Disregardable even if you accept most EU

N-Canon = Not Canon

The only thing that may throw a wrench in the works is the new TV series's T-Canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.