main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does any one here think the saga needs to be a little more PG-13ish?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by emporergerner, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    What are the canon levels for: Greedo not shooting, Greedo shooting first, and Greedo shooting at the same time as Han?

2. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Well the truth is if the Ewoks were done with today's CGI. They wouldn't look so cute in combat. In fact, they'd probably be like those little Pigmy mummies from the Mummy Returns. That's right, if Lucas redid the trilogy again we'd probably see Ewoks pouncing on top of stormtroopers and stabbing them to death all the while the stormtroopers are screaming for dear life.

3. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    It is. It's also Jason-canon, or any other J-person.
    The #1 rule in J-canon is that the New Jedi Order never happened, what with it's silly "Chewie's Dead" nonsense.

4. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    ^Let's not forget flowwalking. Jacen Solo's strange ability to flow walk through time.

5. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Time travel. In Star Wars.

Please, please, EU writers.
    Make a 180 turn away from this kind of Trekish lore, like, now.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, you didn't hear about the giant bug hive mind?

7. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

No, I don't. STAR WARS isn't STAR TREK or even BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. Lucas had established his style for the saga and he stuck with it. Besides, the "less childish" sci-fi and fantasy sagas are no better, anyway.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The Saga didn't need to be anymore "PG-13" than O-OT ANH. Like Ramred said, the tone was established, and it worked. ROTS was no better than most of the series for being PG-13 (and honestly, it wasn't even that PG-13, IMO).

9. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    Yeah....I agree

10. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Actually, compared to the non canon novels, the movie was like PG13 rated. Lucas kept the atrocities of Vader down to a minimum and I figure it was so that the audience wouldn't find his moment of redemption too hard to fathom. You can't exactly go from a totally automated steel killing machine to saying that there is good in there somewhere. But the books don't take that into consideration and have Vader acting so much more viciously prior to ROTJ, the ending seems rather unrealistic. I don't recall anything so bad that a higher rating was necessary - especially considering the other movies out that get that rating - or even what they show on TV.

11. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I remember the reaction from the audience watching ROTS, when Anakin's stone-cold reply to a council chamber full of Younglings pleading for help was an activating lightsaber. This got an audible "Oh my God!" from a woman two-or-three rows behind me.

Judging from that reaction, having Anakin physically slaughtering Younglings on-screen isn't really necessary. The mere implication of said action leaves enough to the imagination, achieving the desired audience reaction.

12. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think the overly cute and boyish stuff of the saga is intended to make the darker bleak moments that much more oppressive. There are a couple scenes that take it a bit too far to the cute side of things only because it derails the story with lack of "suspension of disbelief" but other than those few moments I think the series benefits from the more lighthearted moments. I do love gritty stories though I think it's nice to have a space opera that isn't gritty all the time. I have films like Blade Runner, The Matrix, Terminator and Alien for dark gritty sci-fi thrills. I like that Star Wars at times has the same childish charm of films like ET and yet can descend into dark places like 2001 or Dark City. I think the only problems Star Wars have are on it's technical areas. Ewoks were mentioned. Well the problem with Ewoks wasn't a conceptual one; it was simply a matter of not really buying into the idea of a primative race of beings defeating the Empire when it consisted of limited actors in discombobulating fur suits. I mean considering what was going on, I'm surprised it came out as good as it did. If the same 'concept' was attempted today, we'd likely have some cool computer generated pit bull lookin Ewoks that move fast and free and with fearless execution; similar to some of the Wookie images we saw in Episode 3. Even against the CGI clonetroopers of the prequels, the Ewok 'concept' works; it just didn't ring true with the tools available in 1982.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The only reason TESB didn't get PG-13, imo, is because the rating hadn't been created yet. There's alot of pretty unpleasant stuff in there-Luke's Tauntaun being strangled or having its throat ripped out by the wampa, the AT-AT zapping individual Rebel soldiers, Han being tortured, Luke getting his hand cut off and beaten to hell...

14. JediNat

JediNat Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2008
    I wouldn't mind the OT being more PG-13ish, because of me not being a youngling anymore ;)
    [face_peace]
    -JediNat-

15. MasterLuke83

MasterLuke83 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2008
    Topic: Does any one here think the saga needs to be a little more PG-13ish?

Its far too late for this talk lol

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'd go with R-ish.

17. Sevb32

Sevb32 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2007
    I think some SW fans get adults only-egotistical in their teenage or adult years, they want things to be more adult which means darkness and everything all danky. Stuff they never would have wanted as a young kid watching SW for the first time. Maybe it makes them feel more grown-up that way. I just can't understand why they can't tolerate the cute with the ugly and scary, there is room for a diverse groups of aliens, cute, ugly, scary, etc. Star Wars has them all. I want it to stay that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.