main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Does anybody else die a little inside when...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DaveyWanKenobi, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    I could just be me, and it's not like it wasn't totally expected, but I gotta admit I feel another little piece of my childhood die every single time I hear the iconic Star Wars theme and monologues about The Force and the Jedi way used to sell Chevy trucks and Mcdonalds burgers or anything like that. This past month has been awful in this regard thanks to the incoming premiere of The Force Awakens.

I'm not anti-capitalism or anything, and I know it's just the way of things nowadays, but does anyone share this sentiment? The Chevy radio commercial has been particularly annoying since I seem to hear it at least 3 times a day no matter what station i'm on driving to and from work every day. It's pretty much convinced me to never ever buy a Chevy under any circumstance, lol.

Anyone else sick of the flood of Star Wars adds that have nothing to do with the movie itself?

2. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I guess it would depend on exactly what the products in question are.

I haven't seen those Chevy ads, but they do sound bad.

On the other hand, I sometimes enjoy laughing at the sheer absurdity of something like the Covergirl (or whatever makeup company it is) ads for "light side" and "dark side" makeup.

And then there are the products I genuinely get a good-natured kick out of (though I don't buy them for myself--I just like seeing them in stores)--silly things like a toaster in shape of Vader's head that makes a Vader helmet pattern on the toast, or an R2D2 kitchen timer.

But I get what you're saying. There's definitely some of it that goes too far.

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Nope, doesn't bother me at all. Some of the tie ins do make me laugh though.

Pensivia and DaveyWanKenobi like this.
  4. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015
    Yeah I guess it can be funny when it's something that is actually Star Wars themed that they are selling, like a Darth Vader toaster lol. But it's not like they are selling Stormtrooper themed Chevys or anything. Just playing off the movie hype. I guess that's my line for annoying vs harmless. [face_dunno]

Pensivia likes this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Lol. I saw a Gogurt commercial that gave me hella nostalgia. It reminds me of an AOTC ad from 2002 where two kids were using the Gogurt sticks as lightsabers. Good times, good times

6. Cleo Jinn

Cleo Jinn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 7, 2015
    Ya, get what you guys are saying, but I have to agree with DaveyWanKenobi. Those adds just get me right in the star wars heart. Its fine if they are the star wars toasters, etc, but using the Force and SW music to sell used chevies is just, blegh.
    My town's radio station plays the chevie one all the time. It hurts, man, it hurts.

DaveyWanKenobi likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thinking about this, I think I get annoyed when I get put on alert for no reason, so this is not something isolated to Star Wars.

I hear a lightsabre hum, and out of the corner of my eye (PC relative to telly) a bunch of red lightsabre blades appear out of darkness; I have been ingrained by that Knights of the Old Republic video to think that some serious sith is about to go down, and then its a drokking Duracell Bunny advert. Grrr.

I used to have the same feeling of alarm and then annoyance when I worked with someone whose mobile phone ringtone was a submarine's sonar blip.

Sarge likes this.
  8. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015
    After having seen the film now, I just have to add to this topic that the minutes before the show started were unbearable. They ran commercials for a while until everyone was in, and literally without exaggeration every third one was a commercial for TFA or one that referenced Star Wars. What's the point of playing those in there? we already bought the tickets. One commercial about a video game for TFA even gave away a couple of scenes in the movie(tho not dialog) which was a bit much to say the least. I'll be happy when this advertising avalanche is over.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Star Wars has always been commercialized. Everything from pacifiers to toilet seats. I feel no different from seeing a Dodge SW commercial than I do when I see Admiral Ackbar saying "It's a Crap!" on the back of a toilet.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey, I like that word "drokking."

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Several of the cable and satellite channels that I watch, do that too, advertising the show that I am sitting there to watch, even just before it starts, or during its ad breaks, and I ask the exact same thing: what's the point.

I had no interest in TFA before the second to last trailer, so when I have been spoiled recently, I am not sure if they count as spoilers, as they might have been in earlier trailer footage that I was not aware off. SKY TV had a mash-up of historical Star Wars scenes, finishing with what I assumed was like a deleted or re-created part of the ROTJ, but gradually realised, aw crap, this is from the new film. What a lack of imagination, doing one of those again!

12. Darth Dash

Darth Dash Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I don't really mind the advertising, in fact I kind of like it. I mean I hate ads in general, but they're much less bothersome when they employ something I like. Since I'm going to have to sit through ads anyway, they may as well be something I like enough to tolerate.

Now, if the ad makes the series or its fans look bad somehow, that's annoying, but usually they don't do that.

13. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    This month has thoroughly exhausted the Star Wars name, in my opinion. When I hear the first few notes of the theme song, I assume it's an ad for some legitimate Star Wars merchandise, not Dodge cars, or makeup. I think it's annoying, anything and everything is just attaching a few iconic musical notes to their ads in the hopes of making a profit!

I'll be relieved when the Star Wars hype dies down a bit, too.

DaveyWanKenobi and Cleo Jinn like this.
  14. DaveyWanKenobi

Nov 4, 2015

I know this advertising has always been there. My point was really that they took it to an unusually excessive extreme this time. Doesn't make me hopeful for the future. Hell even the fact that I had to watch any commercials at all sitting in a movie theater is different than just a few years back. It's gettin' worse is all i'm saying. Just an observation.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well to be honest in the past few weeks it's seemed to be almost every other commercial so at this point yes i am tired of it, and if they keep it up with the following movies eventually the public will too.

DaveyWanKenobi likes this.
  16. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    To me, it depends on if the advertisers have any commitment or knowledge of Star Wars when they're writing the ad. It all comes down to how they bring it in. It can be really, really good (such as the Volkswagen commercial with the little DV (so darn cute!) or the Verizon ad with Chewie and BB-8 in it). Then again, it can be square peg / round hole time where you imagine the writers being tasked with writing a Star Wars oriented commercial, "Oh, yeah, that's that movie with Captain Kirk and Spork, right?" [face_waiting]

Padawan4687 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.