Does anybody here have a Parksaber? If so, is the rod fit for fighting?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Carl_el_cee, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nuff said... I got myself an Arc-wave model and I was wondering if any of you guys used the glow-rod it came with to fight, etc...

Carl
  2. Krapitino Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm waiting for my Malestrom to come in the mail... only a few more weeks. They're supposed to be "indestructable," and I've seen references to them being such, but you could always get a different screw and put it a 3/4" dowel...
  3. Sarlacc_Pit Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've put mine through some brutal punishment and it has been just fine. But, if your going to use it for a fan film, I suggest using a dowel instead, as the blade it comes with wobbles too much.
  4. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, of course I'm gonna use a dowel for daylight fighting... But I was just wondering if it was good for bashing another rod all the same, because it'd be cool to have a night fight.

Carl
  5. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    i heard they are pretty strong. They used them on "The Formula" so ask digital llama. Why dont you just make your scene night in post?
  6. JediCias Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am using dowels for my movie, thick ones my other ones broke becuase of the hiting.. it looked pretty cool right in the middle of a clash the tip of one goes flying
  7. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, except for the Matrix scene, "The Formula" used Parksabers. The blades are EXTREMELY wobbly. Not a great idea for rotoscoping, frankly.

But they accept dowel rods and look great. Highly recommended.

M. Scott
  8. Axien Jedi Knight

You can ask them to put dowel instead of the light? Is there a way you can ask? Cause I couldn't find one.
    But how can any one afford two those? They're really expensive!
  9. ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus

star 4
    By all means, stay away from using the blades that come with the parksabers. For demonstration fighting, they're great because they light up (People got a huge kick out of them at the Episode II Premiere). But for rotoscoping, they're horrible. Ryan and Michael almost killed us for using them, and they had every right to.

HOWEVER, putting wooden dowels in your parksabers is not reccomended, either. You'll only be able to get 3 or 4 inches of the blade into the handle, which will make it unbalanced and easily breakable, and you don't want to do that so such an expensive item (and nice looking, too). My advice is to use Parksabers when walking around with it attached to your belt, but fashion a metal replica for any fighting.

-Chris
  10. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Why was it horrible for Dorkman and Ryan to roto, becuase it was wibbly-wobbly, or becuase it glowed to much and got lost/burned out of the video?
  11. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wibbly-wobbly.

Ryan got it worse than I did, frankly.

M. Scott
  12. ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus

star 4
    We never had the glow on, there was no point. During the daytime or any type of heavy lighting you can hardly see it.
  13. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Oh okay,

I was only wondering since I've got to do some stuff with a lightsabre/flourescent tube and wondered if I could learn anything from 'Da Boyz' experience (what to do, and what not to do)

For anyone in the UK, I've found a more reliable source for these things. The Next Directory. £19.99 available in Blue, Green and Red. It's as though they had lightsabres in mind when they made them.....
  14. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    What're those, Daft?

Carl

EDIT: Also, for those who have one... When my saber is off, the lower red LED and top green one pulsate every 3 seconds. Also, when its on, the red leds go up and down, up and down. Is this supposed to happen or are the LEDs supposed to fill and stay that way?
  15. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention :)

They're a kind of plastic fluorescent tube that you plug in and they glow, just like a real sabre. Here is a picture of one:
    [image=http://www.stormahead.com/images/TestSabre.jpg]

I've since built it into a lightsabre hilt, and am going to use it for a scene 'in the dark' which might be fun. At the time of initially posting, I could only say I got them from a clearance sale, which has obviously since cleared...
  16. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Heres mine "in action", sorry its a little light in the room, but the glow is still percievable...

[image=http://www.iespana.es/djuvedoble/ME_SABER.jpg]

Carl
  17. Krapitino Jedi Master

star 4
    DAFT: Wow! Who needs Ryan W? [face_mischief]

Don't kill me! :_|
  18. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    ROFL LMFAO! I was just trying out some saber twirls, and a took a huge chunk out of a wall corner, LOL! I swear! I heard something shatter and I though "OH... kwap!" And then I looked and a huge chunka the wall was gone! Talk about virtually indestructable! [face_laugh]

Carl
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.