main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

does anybody know how to do the Terminator 2 effect?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Marchitn, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marchitn

Marchitn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2000
    Hi this doesnt have to do anything with star wars but just fan films in general i was curious if anyone had made any attemtpts to do the effect from terminator 2
    where the T-1000 looks all metallic
    has anyone tried like
    shotting live footage and then having the actor turn chrome like with reflections of his surrondings?
    I was thinking of making a terminator 2 spoof

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I've made two terminator spoof films and in both I completely avoided that effect. I did those years ago though so i'd probably try to achieve the effect if i redid them now.

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    i would use a 3d program, if you have Max you can use MasterZap's chrome plugin to get the surroundings to reflect. send him a PM if you want to d/l it.

4. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah, look what I did in Kid Wars (link below) and then go to here to pick up the plugin... should be doable... but you'll need to plan WAY ahead, and probably do work both in AE, max, and whatnot.

I'd consider doing it myself if I didnt have better things to do.

/Z

5. Marchitn

Nov 26, 2000
    thanks anybody else have any ideas how to pull this off?

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah you need 3d for the liquid metal. We were able to achieve the "bullet" healing effect that the T-1000 does but I forget how. i think we used Kai's PowerGoo or something. That was years ago so I forget exactly.

7. Marchitn

Nov 26, 2000
    thanks for the advice guys
    the main effect im trying to figure out is no liquid metal effects
    im just talking about the parts where like
    the t-1000 walks out of the fire after the truck crashes and hes aqll chrome looking
    and then he turns his colors on

same thign whne he busts into that police chopper and says "get out"

the effect i want to do is to have a 3d model of the actor (whoever that may be) and have a chrome metal looking version walk in on the shot and then have some how blend it with an actual shot of the actor like the colors came in so he looks human (hope that made some sort of sense) hehe

8. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Hey, not sure if this is too late or what, but there is a really simple way to bodge the effect using After Effects.

You'll need to film your actor in front of a greenscreen first, then the background seperate. Import both layers into AE and key out the green/blue from the actor footage. Layer this beneath the footage of the background.

Select the background and go Effect>Distort>Displacement Map. For the Displacement Map layer, select your actor footage. Adjust the Max Horizontal/Vertical Displacement to higher values, and your actor should appear ghostly over the background footage.

Its not a true reflection, but you get a similar effect, it just takes some planning becasue of the distortion of the background. You can then use masks to slowly reveal the 'chrome' or the flesh.

Hope that's of some use! :) (Apologies if a little garbled)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.