main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does anyone actually prefer the PT over the ST?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thomo93, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    Title speaks for itself. For me, I've always loved every single one of the films in both trilogies. But if I had to pick, I've always loved the PT slightly better than the ST & I'm guessing I'm in the minority who do. Iunno, I guess its thanks to the PT I became such a 'obsessed' Star Wars fan at a young age & what I am today. It's what I grew up with & that probably drives me to this conclusion. To me, it really felt like Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, so did the ST. But in my opinion, everything looked to practical & to too close to 'real life' in the OT movies. (Only way I can think of putting it) But, I also understand that they didn't have the tech to perform all these things back in 1977 when they first started though.
    Whereas in the PT, I know its all CGI but I never really cared. You get to see heaps of different and vibrant things that you wouldn't see in real life at all. Deffinatley helps put you into an unusual strange, cool universe and I love it.
    Let us know what you's think :)

2. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Haha no.

jakeskywalker65 likes this.
  3. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    It's too early to say since Episode VIII and IX are not out yet.

Personally I liked both the Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy equally and I even like The Force Awakens. But somehow, I prefer the story told in the prequels over the originals since it was richer with many themes explored than the one in the originals.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Well, I like all of it tbh but I guess to answer your question:

PT>OT>>>ST

So far....

5. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    How can you say? There isn't a ST yet.

JEDI-RISING and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Until E8 and E9 are out, there is no comparison possible.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Why are we comparing 1 movie to three movies?

That makes no sense instead we should compare TFA to say TPM or ANH and not a whole trilogy.

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I prefer TFA to TPM. Will I prefer the whole ST to the PT? I don't know. The PT is more the sum of its parts than any individual film for me.

AprilMayJune likes this.
  10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    So far, TFA is the SW film I like the least.

11. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Since there is only 1 ST film out, I'll rate by first movies:

TPM>ANH>TFA

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Quoted for TRUTH #TPMROCKS

13. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Like others have said, can't compare 1 movie vs 3. That said I see it this way:

Dialogue, execution, acting, production value:

TFA > PT

Creative story line, new worlds, new ships, overall creativity:

PT > TFA

The PT broadens the Star Wars universe. TFA shrinks it and doesn't add much to the story other than introducing new characters.

ObiWanKnowsMe and JEDI-RISING like this.
  14. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Damn straight! :) TPM haters can [​IMG]

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    to the OP

I will tell you in 2019 :)

16. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    If we can compare the first entries of each trilogies, I would probably say this:

A New Hope (original Star Wars from 1977) > The Force Awakens > The Phantom Menace

Prisic Duskleap and DrDre like this.
  18. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I wonder if people here have been reading all of the original post... I think it is clear from his explanation he means 'OT' when he says 'ST.'

In answer to that, I would say that the OT will always have a special place in my heart and I prefer it the most. However, I really like the PT and, depending on what I'm looking for, I can be more captivated or interested or moved by it than the OT. I think they are good at very different things. The OT has an ancient story adapted extremely well to our age, and it all feels very fresh and real and relatable in a visceral kind of sense. I think that story and that way of doing the movies in a more 'used universe' style is inherently more attractive to people on just a gut level most of the time.

The PT is a trickier story, and the way in which Lucas chose to tell it makes it even more tricky (and more interesting). Whereas the story of the OT was relatively self-contained between our three heroes, the story of the PT is expansive in a way that goes far, far beyond our main characters. The PT is about people making choices when they are really caught in (and playing into) the web of a mastermind, whereas the OT is about freeing yourself from the old and making way for the new. The PT is a descent (people get worse, make the wrong choices, evil wins) while the OT is an ascent (people get better, make the right choices, good wins). The PT is about losing connection with balance (between light and dark, good and bad, masculine and feminine; I think it's spot on that people say that the PT is about the decline of the 'feminine' -- I agree), and OT is about regaining that balance (regaining the connection to the whole spectrum, to light and dark, to the Living Force and the feminine). I think it's inherently more likable to see things turn out for the best, so the OT is more fulfilling in that sense, while the PT is more interesting and fascinating and emotionally tragic on a historical and cultural and psychological level.

Overall I'd say the PT is more interesting and sometimes, depending my mood, I really like how it develops more. You can subtly feel the weight of foreshadowing and foreboding over AOTC as Anakin, the Jedi, and the Senate sew the seeds of their own downfall. TPM is interesting as a kick-starter for the origin of both the good and evil. And ROTS is just horrific and tragic. The political side always intrigued me and seems to have a lot of relevance today. All the politics and heroes and villians of the prequels are cast in shades; it's not black or white anymore. Whereas the OT is more basic and grows from black vs. white to a more nuanced, ying-yang thing at the end. Which is great. I like that Lucas continued that progression with the prequels, where lines get blurred, until finally in ROTS everything flip-flops and its in darkness. Overall I like all the films; my heart may be the most comfy with the OT but it loves the PT too. It'll be interesting to see where the new trilogy goes from here because honestly, I can only guess, I don't know where they'll go. We'll see.

19. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes I greatly prefer the PT over the ST. In fact, I slightly prefer the PT over the OT by a hair. I will admit that the PT isn't executed quite as well as the OT, but my argument is that it is executed WELL ENOUGH. You add in the PT having a far richer and ambitious story, and that makes the PT only slightly better in my opinion. But both the execution and story in TFA is sorely lacking. If the acting and characters and dialogue in TFA are really that good, then why does the movie not have enough confidence to slow down and allow us to get to know these characters on a personal level, rather than having us experience them only on an adrenaline rush every ten minutes throughout the movie? And yes, I do think we are allowed to judge the ST solely on TFA. Disney has already shown as that they werent interested in using the same sort of camera integrity that Lucas used on the first 6 films, they have shown that they aren't interested in having the characters speak in the same elevated form of speech, they have shown that they are not interested in using music and sound effects to tell the story. They have shown that they are not interested in world building. And I wont be seeing episodes 8 or 9 anyway, nor will I be seeing any more Disney/Lucasfilm projects. We now see the results of rushing to make a SW movie, and it aint pretty. Im just not going to be involved in that.

20. GLStarWarsSaga

GLStarWarsSaga Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Based on first entry of trilogies: ANH > TPM >>> TFA

As overall trilogy, I can't say for now. I need to watch episode VIII first. :)

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've always slightly preferred the PT to the OT.

I often find myself just watching them in isolation, but I've never just watched the OT alone. It's always part of a full 6 film marathon.

22. lotusflow3r

lotusflow3r Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2014
    I guess yes, but maybe more for personal reasons than because of the movies themselves.
    I first saw and fell in love with SW through ROTJ, when I was 6 in 83, and grew-up with SW, the EU cartoons and comics, the toys, etc. The OT is part of who I am. I kind of got bored with it when I was a teen but when I rediscovered them on a big screen in 97 I was blown away again, kept going back to the theatre as long as they were there, and ever since I never got bored with the OT again, but still it was something from my childhood.
    The thing with the PT is I was 22 when TPM was released, 28 when ROTS was. I loved those movies, deeply, also went to see them several times each, and quite recently I realized that I felt they were mine. As in my generation's SW films, same way trip-hop was my generation's musical genre and so on, you know how we sometimes appropriate something because that's our generation's.
    I could elaborate on other qualities I see on the PT that make it in certain ways more enjoyable to me than the OT, but really I think the core of my preference is this generational thing. Even though I'm deeply connected emotionally to the OT, I just feel even more connected with the PT because I discovered it in my 20's.

Thomo93 likes this.
  23. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    PT. After a decade now I enjoy the PT way more. Still, the OT is pretty awesome too. I just see things differently now.

I cannot judge the ST whole. However, I do judge the film in it's own merits.

Acting wise, its hard to say. The ST has modern acting. Not bad but modern. The PT has very shakespear/1930's acting. It has an old style of acting. And last, the OT has very 1950's/Flashgorden way of acting.

Whats more beliveable to us is modern acting, which is the ST(as stated that fans now consider this the best acted) I say its very hard to compare those acting styles as they all have a very different visions.

Thomo93 likes this.
  24. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Let's just say I came for the OT, stayed for the PT.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In my personal rankings, I do have Revenge of the Sith a slight notch above Force Awakens. (Force Awakens is still my favourite #1 movie of 2015 but Star Wars movie rankings can be like that :p)

Thomo93 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.